U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 PM

275 posts, read 775,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
That is a desperation move. Unless the doctor diagnoses you with cancer you're not going to be able to break a lease over that.
Okay, thanks for giving it to me straight. I'll let you guys know what the water lab says after I get the test results back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I've noticed that depending on where I am in Queens, the water is either good or terrible. My parents have Jamaica Bay water. That water was always better tasting. They also have a filter that filters the water before it comes out of the faucet. It's only for cold water. I can't drink enough when I'm there. The filter they have is a little pricey and needs to be changed either one or twice a year. When I lived in Flushing, the water was horrible. We lived in an apartment building and sometimes the water would come out almost like a light rust color. My brother lives in Flushing and before he installed the water filter, he would fill up jugs of water from my parents' house. I live on LI now and the water is horrible. I had company over and had poured bottled water into pitchers. I made the mistake of making ice from the tap water and put it in the pitchers. I had to dump it. It ruined the taste of the water.
I remember in the 50's I would visit my Aunt who lived in Richmond Hill and no one could drink the tap water because it tasted either so horrible or we were just not used to it. I remember it tasting disgusting. You say it was delicious. I didn't think that south queens any longer had to resort to Jamaica Bay water as we did back then. Apparently we still do. I live in Howard beach and thought my water would also be from Jamaica Bay but although it tastes "not so great" it still doesn't taste as horrible as I remember so apparently it is not from the Bay.

Gotta try drinking some tap water next time I am in Richmond Hill to see if it brings back any kind of distasteful memories.

Otherwise, enjoy your water and if it truly comes from sewerage and salt water, would you be better drinking something else?????

Old 10-08-2013, 02:09 PM

362 posts, read 583,638 times
I boil my water before I drink it. It will kill most of the germs but probably won't remove any chemicals in the water (if there are any).

Old 10-08-2013, 02:24 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,248,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISSY46 View Post
I remember in the 50's I would visit my Aunt who lived in Richmond Hill and no one could drink the tap water because it tasted either so horrible or we were just not used to it. I remember it tasting disgusting. You say it was delicious. I didn't think that south queens any longer had to resort to Jamaica Bay water as we did back then. Apparently we still do. I live in Howard beach and thought my water would also be from Jamaica Bay but although it tastes "not so great" it still doesn't taste as horrible as I remember so apparently it is not from the Bay.

Gotta try drinking some tap water next time I am in Richmond Hill to see if it brings back any kind of distasteful memories.

Otherwise, enjoy your water and if it truly comes from sewerage and salt water, would you be better drinking something else?????
Where do you see the word "delicious"? I said it tasted better than other places and now they FILTER the water.

I grew up in the HB area--that water was always nasty.

You can't compare the '50's to now either.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM

290 posts, read 347,043 times
I use a water filter and feel that's good enough.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 PM

290 posts, read 347,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You can always boil your tap water before drinking if you think that there is a problem with it.
Boiling will kill germs but it won't remove mercury or other contaminants. Not saying that tap water is bad (I drink it), just noting that boiling is not the same as water purification.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 PM

107 posts, read 228,334 times
I just use a brita pitcher, I have never noticed anything wrong with our water -- tastes good.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM

902 posts, read 1,971,950 times
I buy my water. Growing up I didn't like the tap water (Ohio)and used to buy it back then before it became a fad driving the prices up.

The tap would sometimes hurt my stomach, I guess from all that junk in it. Mercury? No thanks.

Remember that report they did a few years back saying people's medicines still survived the water treatment process and you might be ingesting hormones and other things pee'd out prior.

Remember to use spring water for your coffee, it makes it taste better.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,189,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I buy my water. Growing up I didn't like the tap water (Ohio)and used to buy it back then before it became a fad driving the prices up.

The tap would sometimes hurt my stomach, I guess from all that junk in it. Mercury? No thanks.

Remember that report they did a few years back saying people's medicines still survived the water treatment process and you might be ingesting hormones and other things pee'd out prior.

Remember to use spring water for your coffee, it makes it taste better.
My bowels are not sensitive to tap water or any other stuff. I just popped a couple of ibuprofen pills with Diet Coke and my stomach feels great. No lie.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,258,060 times
NYC water is amazing. Sadly bad plumbing and old, rusty pipes turning will turn even the best drinking water into crap, and unless you've had tap from a building with good plumbing you'd never know it. I lived in an old building and had horrible problems with rust, I went through brita filters like it was going out of style. The rust was so bad it stained the white plastic in the brita reservoir orange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City