U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 PM

275 posts, read 777,000 times

Advertisements

So, I am noticing a funny taste in my water, now, this is after double filtration (a PUR filter attached to the sink and then that water is poured into one of those PUR water filters). So...am I crazy? It may be copper rust from the pipes coming into my water. I had made threads about 2 months ago about brown bath water. And the Landlord just kinda said that that is rust from pipes, let it run and it'll clear up. It doesn't come out brown as often anymore, but does still show up light green in the bath.

Anyway, what's the solution here? Will the Department of Water send it someone to take a look at it if I make an appointment? According to the landlord, I'm the only one with this complaint. And as far as the drinking water, its kind of hard to prove. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 AM

295 posts, read 471,229 times
nope never regarless the state or country

Old 02-13-2012, 05:58 AM

30,378 posts, read 31,261,031 times
You can always boil your tap water before drinking if you think that there is a problem with it.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:17 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,262,136 times
I love NYC tap water. It's the best.

We had a couple experiences with brown water. It was after the building was doing some boiler work. It happened recently in my office building too (large 50 story building). It's not uncommon, and it's probably harmless, but I wait for it to be clear for a while before drinking it again when that happens.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 AM

10,335 posts, read 12,442,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I love NYC tap water. It's the best.

We had a couple experiences with brown water. It was after the building was doing some boiler work. It happened recently in my office building too (large 50 story building). It's not uncommon, and it's probably harmless, but I wait for it to be clear for a while before drinking it again when that happens.
I drink the water. Look, There is pollution everywhere. How many news reports saying "the air is bad, the water is bad." Better to live as best as you can and not worry 24/7. However if there is clear discoloration or visible pollutants that is a different story. Then a filter should solve that anyway. Your good to go cause you got this as it is.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 AM

15,237 posts, read 23,800,738 times
water is water be it from a faucet or a bottle.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,648,766 times
I've noticed a lot of my friends who are immigrants to NYC from third world countries are very distrustful of the water from the faucet. On the other hand, my friends from places like Germany, the UK and Norway wouldn't think twice about drinking tap water.

I think NYC water has a good "taste", its great for making coffeee and pizza.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,480,657 times
MYC water is just fine for me. Jersey Cities was a bit better but that's probably because I got used to it. I store my tap's driinking water in glass in the fridge because I like it chilled, and chlorine quickly degasses from standing water,

If one gets a funny taste running though a filter and then storing it in plastic perhaps the water filter and/or the plastic container is imparting a taste.

Filters that are used too long become cesspools of contamination, and plastic tastes of...well, plastic.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,275,462 times
I've noticed that depending on where I am in Queens, the water is either good or terrible. My parents have Jamaica Bay water. That water was always better tasting. They also have a filter that filters the water before it comes out of the faucet. It's only for cold water. I can't drink enough when I'm there. The filter they have is a little pricey and needs to be changed either one or twice a year. When I lived in Flushing, the water was horrible. We lived in an apartment building and sometimes the water would come out almost like a light rust color. My brother lives in Flushing and before he installed the water filter, he would fill up jugs of water from my parents' house. I live on LI now and the water is horrible. I had company over and had poured bottled water into pitchers. I made the mistake of making ice from the tap water and put it in the pitchers. I had to dump it. It ruined the taste of the water.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 AM

2,853 posts, read 6,262,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've noticed a lot of my friends who are immigrants to NYC from third world countries are very distrustful of the water from the faucet. On the other hand, my friends from places like Germany, the UK and Norway wouldn't think twice about drinking tap water.

I think NYC water has a good "taste", its great for making coffeee and pizza.

My husband grew up in Central Europe. You don't drink the water where he's from, even now. When we visited, I noticed everyone bought bottled water, no matter what, because of pollutants. However, he's lived in NYC for 20+ years and drinks the water from the tap here without an issue. But I imagine when people are visiting from a place that you're so used to not drinking the water, they would definitely be hesitant to drink it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City