U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,257,975 times
Reputation: 9176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
LS is an independent private school not under the supervision of the archdiocese/parish (unlike St. Ignatius Loyola around the corner) and serves only 9-12, which explains its tuition structure. It's alumni are pretty well-connected though.
Also, St. Ignacious is in Manhattan so you can pretty much expect higher tuition than a Catholic school in Queens. I agree-private school tuitions are structured differently than the archdiocese/parish schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,257,975 times
Reputation: 9176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I've gotten dizzy trying to find the COST of St. Ignatius Loyola School on East 84th. Is it a state SECRET? Will merely READING the number cause a coronary? All other schools list their fees but not SIL, at least not anywhere that Google can find it.

How much IS the joint?
(I found Epiphany, between $6 and $7K which is not too far out of line with others.)
You probably can't even get a quote from most private schools. I had to write to one Montessori school to get the tuition quote. I almost passed out. Three years ago it was about $10k/yr up to the 6th or 8th grade. By the time 10th grade rolled around the price was close to $20k/yr. And this is in Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Bronx
14,819 posts, read 17,417,710 times
Reputation: 7517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Unless you've gone to Catholic school and/or send your kids there, don't make statements that aren't true. Catholic schools offer financial aid. When I registered at the Catholic school, they even asked me if I wanted to apply for financial aid. I didn't need to. Most Catholic schools from kindergarten to 8th grade are not $6k a year. Tuition is under $4k but if you have to factor in aftercare then the tuition goes up $200+ a month. Then there's fundraisers, MANDATORY fundraisers and uniforms. The school my daughter went to closed around 2 years ago because of the demographics. The school was in an Asian neighborhood so they were not getting the enrollment. The economy has a lot to do with it also. When a 2-income household becomes 1, parents will have to take their kids out of private school. Also, it was a very small school. Only one class per grade. The cost to maintain the school and pay the teachers exceeded enrollment. My daughter went to Catholic school for 2 years because the public school near my apartment didn't offer after-school programs, it did not offer middle school so my daughter would have been going to Robert Kennedy JHS and it wasn't exactly the best in scores. I bought my house just around when the new school year started so it didn't make sense to enroll her in Catholic school for only 1 or 2 months. I ended up enrolling her in the public school by our apartment and my husband changed his schedule to pick her up after school. The school had improved academically and they now go up to 8th grade. It's the Montessori schools that have a high tuition but they also offer financial aid. Catholic high schools such as St. Francis also have a higher tuition. One thing about private schools is even though you're paying, they are very strict with grades. There's no "pushing through" a failing student.
Good for you man.

l there dreaded not to go to Catholic School when I was a kid. My mom wanted me to go but I liked public school because of sports and other activities which Catholic school did not offer until high school enrollment. In my area the Catholic school is cheap and oh yeah the pupils are mostly Mexican with hard working parents who wants whats best for their kids. This Catholic school is about 1oo years old. The reason why the Catholic school in my neigborhood is open to this day is because the demographics changed ethnically however every ethnic group was Catholic. Mott Haven was South German a 100 years ago they were Catholic. 75-40 years ago it was Irish, from 40 years ago to now the area was Puerto RIcan however Puerto Ricans are on the decline, now we have a growing Mexican population. Even the church has our lady of Guadaloupe outside because the Church is heavly backed my Mexicans and not so Much by Puerto Ricans. Alot of Muslims and also Transplant out of towners who are Protestant are moving to Mott Haven aswell, what happens if they become the majority and Catholics the minority, the church and the Catholic school will loose members very fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
 
3,245 posts, read 4,163,864 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
church donations decrease even though a good portion of that money goes back to Rome to fill il the popes coffers.
Perhaps you should do a little research, before posting blatantly false statements.
The "Peter's Pence" collection in the USA raises about $80 million dollars annually, about 25% of the world total. That's about $1 for each US Catholic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
isn't Roman Catholic church the richest in the world?
Doubtful. Church buildings are expensive to maintain, as are the large number of schools and hospitals. Catholics do not tithe. Most donations are spent, not saved. Certain universities & charities have their own endowments, which are not controlled by some wealthy central HQ in Rome, or elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The Catholic church is not in the practice of using their funds to keep a school in business
Untrue. Many dioceses heavily subsidize urban parochial schools. It is usually only when enrollment declines greatly, or when a school's budget collapses from non-payment of tuition, that a school closes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Just because they Catholic church has billions upon billions of dollars doesn't mean they are going to go out of their way to keep a few schools open. That's just not good business. What, you want the pope to sale one of his golden crowns or a few of his jewel encrusted rings?? C'mon!
Another ridiculous statement. The RC church does not have billions in cash. Many popes have sold their crowns & donated the proceeds to charity. Currently, popes do not wear a crown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
some right wingers who have never read the Constitution will eventually find a way to fund religious schools with tax money.
Perhaps you should read the Constitution yourself, and tell us where it bans this? The words "school" and "education" do not even appear in the Constitution.
The First Amendment begins, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof". This has been interpreted to mandate "separation of church and state", and expanded to prohibit religious displays, and even public support for religious schools. However, that only seems to apply to primary and secondary schools, as there is much public funding for private universities run by religious groups.

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-14-2012 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Helsinki, Finland
5,473 posts, read 9,195,767 times
Reputation: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
One thing about private schools is even though you're paying, they are very strict with grades. There's no "pushing through" a failing student.
True, there's no money back guarantee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 AM
 
6,909 posts, read 9,036,542 times
Reputation: 2861
It only means Catholic schools will close in Mott Haven. But they are doing brisk business in UES, Westchester, NJ and LI. It doesn't mean Catholic schools are becoming extinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 05:08 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
Reputation: 9034
Quote:
as there is much public funding for private universities run by religious groups.

Like I said:
some right wingers who have never read the Constitution will eventually find a way to fund religious schools with tax money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,211 posts, read 3,992,281 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Untrue. Many dioceses heavily subsidize urban parochial schools. It is usually only when enrollment declines greatly, or when a school's budget collapses from non-payment of tuition, that a school closes.

Another ridiculous statement. The RC church does not have billions in cash. Many popes have sold their crowns & donated the proceeds to charity. Currently, popes do not wear a crown.
.

Sorry if people were pointing out how horrible the Roman Catholic church is. I know being faced with the truth can sting. I notice you didn't go out of your way to angrily defend the church when another poster on this thread called them kiddy molesters. I guess even you can't defend the Catholic Church's whole hearted and full throated support of systematically raping children.

I specifically said that the ROMAN CATHOLIC church is not in the buisness of subsidizing schools. And that is true. If you would have read later I also said that individual diocese will indeed support a school financially to keep tuitions low. However, that isn't the church, that is the congregation. Rome doesn't send money, they ask the people of the community to support the school.

And although no one knows how much money the Catholic Church has, it's ridiculous of you to not think that it could be measured in the billions of dollars. This institution has been around for 2000 years playing the system and writing the rules. For a period of history the Catholic Church owned ONE THIRD of Europe. That's right, all the cities, all the farm land, all the real estate, the Catholic church owned ONE THIRD of it, and never had to pay taxes. You don't spend 2000 years aquiring wealth and not have something to show for it...don't be so naive. Now I admit that certain Roman Catholic Diocese's have declared bankruptcy in the United States.....but that was just a legal maneuver so they wouldn't have to pay billions of dollars in judgements against them for ...you know....all the kiddy rape. Sort of says a lot about a religion when they will declare bankruptcy rather than make resitution for decades of rape and abuse. I am sorry I keep saying the word "rape". It's just the first word that comes to my mind when I think of the Roman Catholic Church.

And I think it's surprising you would defend the pope and say he doesn't wear a crown. What do you think that funny golden hat he wears is? The papal tiara is still in existence, in all it's ruby encrusted glory. The big hat that the pope wears? His pretiosa? That's a crown baby! A piece of head gear to tell him apart from the common folk. And even if he DIDNT wear a crown....he still lives in a palace big enough to be it's OWN COUNTRY. The pope lives in Vatican City, his own theocratic kingdom in the middle or rome. The operating budget for his 110 acre slice of heaven (an eigth the size of central park) is $353 million a year.

Please don't criticize us for calling the Roman Catholic church rich. It is. The pope has his own country, in it he has a golden palace, he sits upon a golden throne, wears a golden crown. I am sure individual Catholics are wonderful people, I have met quite a few. But the church? The institution? The men who run it? Rotten to the core. And really really into raping little children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 7,635,977 times
Reputation: 14991
The Roman Catholic church is clearly the richest religious institution in the world. How much of is assests are liquid is another matter, but simply selling the contents of the vatican museum could keep a NASA Mars program afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 07:29 AM
 
6,909 posts, read 9,036,542 times
Reputation: 2861
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Sorry if people were pointing out how horrible the Roman Catholic church is. I know being faced with the truth can sting. I notice you didn't go out of your way to angrily defend the church when another poster on this thread called them kiddy molesters. I guess even you can't defend the Catholic Church's whole hearted and full throated support of systematically raping children.

I specifically said that the ROMAN CATHOLIC church is not in the buisness of subsidizing schools. And that is true. If you would have read later I also said that individual diocese will indeed support a school financially to keep tuitions low. However, that isn't the church, that is the congregation. Rome doesn't send money, they ask the people of the community to support the school.

And although no one knows how much money the Catholic Church has, it's ridiculous of you to not think that it could be measured in the billions of dollars. This institution has been around for 2000 years playing the system and writing the rules. For a period of history the Catholic Church owned ONE THIRD of Europe. That's right, all the cities, all the farm land, all the real estate, the Catholic church owned ONE THIRD of it, and never had to pay taxes. You don't spend 2000 years aquiring wealth and not have something to show for it...don't be so naive. Now I admit that certain Roman Catholic Diocese's have declared bankruptcy in the United States.....but that was just a legal maneuver so they wouldn't have to pay billions of dollars in judgements against them for ...you know....all the kiddy rape. Sort of says a lot about a religion when they will declare bankruptcy rather than make resitution for decades of rape and abuse. I am sorry I keep saying the word "rape". It's just the first word that comes to my mind when I think of the Roman Catholic Church.

And I think it's surprising you would defend the pope and say he doesn't wear a crown. What do you think that funny golden hat he wears is? The papal tiara is still in existence, in all it's ruby encrusted glory. The big hat that the pope wears? His pretiosa? That's a crown baby! A piece of head gear to tell him apart from the common folk. And even if he DIDNT wear a crown....he still lives in a palace big enough to be it's OWN COUNTRY. The pope lives in Vatican City, his own theocratic kingdom in the middle or rome. The operating budget for his 110 acre slice of heaven (an eigth the size of central park) is $353 million a year.

Please don't criticize us for calling the Roman Catholic church rich. It is. The pope has his own country, in it he has a golden palace, he sits upon a golden throne, wears a golden crown. I am sure individual Catholics are wonderful people, I have met quite a few. But the church? The institution? The men who run it? Rotten to the core. And really really into raping little children.
This is way OT for a thread that is about the purported closings of Catholic schools. Please leave your bitterness in another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top