U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
 
6,922 posts, read 9,065,493 times
Reputation: 2866

Advertisements

Rich in talent, rich in heritage and artistic beauty. But in terms of money, that is something else. Even if they wanted to, those assets are not so easy to liquidate. And if they did, the items would end up in some money-grabber's art collection and would lose much of the significance that they carry today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,211 posts, read 3,999,471 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
But that has been answered already. Read prior posts - much of those assets are either not available for monetization or not available to use for other purposes. What more is there to discuss exept to make useless rants?
?
I have read prior posts. In fact I made most of the prior posts. When you say "it has been answered" , I know that. BECAUSE IT WAS ANSWERED BY ME. You specifically said "This is OT" and I am saying "no it's not, it's actually the exact question the OP asked".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
You're stretching the argument JB. This is obviously OT. Why not start a thread and talk about how abose occurs in ALL schools such as PS 87?
B/c that thread would not be on Catholic schools. I don't know what is worse....the preists that raped little children for decades, or the MILLIONS of Catholic apologists (like yourself) who excuse what they did. "Well, that was terrible, those preists are bad people, but...can't we just keep on hiding it? It's not the Roman Catholics church fault that they systematically hid and denied years of abuse. They didn't report it to the authorities, they helped move preists from church to church to keep them one step ahead of the law. You make that sound like a bad thing!".

If my brother came to me and said "Help me Jay, I snatched a little 8 year old boy from a playground and brutally raped him for months. It was AWESOME! Anyway, the little brat told on me and now the cops are on my butt. Can you help?" If I then helped my brother hide from the law, If I then intimidated the raped child to not tell anyone what happened, if I helped my brother get away with it, and then he went on to rape child after child after child....WOUDLN'T I ALSO BE A CRIMINAL? The Roman Catholic church HELPED rapists. Even if you aren't actually there to hold the child down, you are still helping the rapist when you make excuses for him, when you help hide the crime.

The proper response when you hear that a child has been forcibly raped is to RECOIL IN HORROR. Not go "okay...well...how can we spin this around? Let's move Father Michael to another church so he can find some fresh meat." Which option did the Catholic Chruch take? From the choices above, please.

So does child molestation happen at non-Catholic schools? Sure. But there isn't an entire mechanism to help rapists get away with their crimes in public schools. There IS a mechanism in Catholic schools and churches. In Catholic institutions, there is a billion dollar industry and a vested interest in sweeping rape under the carpet.

Less Catholic schools means a lot of families are not going to have low cost options for private education of their children. That is sad and definately a con. Less Catholic schools means less rapists will have access to victims and an entire billion dollar industry helping to hide their crimes. That is awesome, and definately a pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,211 posts, read 3,999,471 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Rich in talent, rich in heritage and artistic beauty. But in terms of money, that is something else. Even if they wanted to, those assets are not so easy to liquidate. And if they did, the items would end up in some money-grabber's art collection and would lose much of the significance that they carry today.
I understand what you are saying. But a ruby is a ruby is a ruby. We are not talking only about frescos painted on the sistine chapel. We are talking about gold, and precious jewels and real estate holdings. The church's wealth is in a lot more than just art. Just in real estate they would be billionaires a million times over.

Not that I care, they can do what they want with their money. Keep their money till the judgement day for all I care. Just don't cry poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,289,433 times
Reputation: 9177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Good for you man.

l there dreaded not to go to Catholic School when I was a kid. My mom wanted me to go but I liked public school because of sports and other activities which Catholic school did not offer until high school enrollment. In my area the Catholic school is cheap and oh yeah the pupils are mostly Mexican with hard working parents who wants whats best for their kids. This Catholic school is about 1oo years old. The reason why the Catholic school in my neigborhood is open to this day is because the demographics changed ethnically however every ethnic group was Catholic. Mott Haven was South German a 100 years ago they were Catholic. 75-40 years ago it was Irish, from 40 years ago to now the area was Puerto RIcan however Puerto Ricans are on the decline, now we have a growing Mexican population. Even the church has our lady of Guadaloupe outside because the Church is heavly backed my Mexicans and not so Much by Puerto Ricans. Alot of Muslims and also Transplant out of towners who are Protestant are moving to Mott Haven aswell, what happens if they become the majority and Catholics the minority, the church and the Catholic school will loose members very fast.
Agreed. My daugther went to St. Ann's in Flushing. The student body was only about 250 students. There were a handful who weren't Catholics but parents sent their kids to Catholic school for whatever reason. Enrollment dropped partially, imo, because the public school near where I used to live changed and grades go up to 8th grade not to mention economic reasons. But I think a good part of the decline is the area. It is predominantly Asia and once you go to the south side of the L.I.E., there is a predominant Jewish area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 AM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 7,665,162 times
Reputation: 15003
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
The less than 1% of priests who molest kids are despicable people (less of a percentage than teachers and "protestants" who molest kids).

The Church as a whole is the greatest organization in the history of mankind and single-handidly responsible for building Western civilization as we know it.

I think you're confusing the Catholic Church with the Roman Empire, Parliamentary democracy and the Enlightenment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
7,846 posts, read 10,289,433 times
Reputation: 9177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
This is not across the board. The stronger Catholic schools are seeing high enrollment and are getting more applicants than available seats, especially in the suburbs (that despite paying RE taxes). Also, new ones are opening.
Not sure if you are near Queen of Peace on Main St. I thought I heard that school had closed also. It's the same size as the school my daughter went to. Only one class per grade. It seems these small schools close first because the maintenance exceeds the enrollment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 12:30 PM
 
6,922 posts, read 9,065,493 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I understand what you are saying. But a ruby is a ruby is a ruby. We are not talking only about frescos painted on the sistine chapel. We are talking about gold, and precious jewels and real estate holdings. The church's wealth is in a lot more than just art. Just in real estate they would be billionaires a million times over.
Do you know how it is to hold money? You are only as wealthy as your ability to use your riches. You may own a house appraised at $1M, but if you can't sell it when you get sick, you might as well be a pauper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
B/c that thread would not be on Catholic schools. I don't know what is worse....the preists that raped little children for decades, or the MILLIONS of Catholic apologists (like yourself) who excuse what they did. "Well, that was terrible, those preists are bad people, but...can't we just keep on hiding it? It's not the Roman Catholics church fault that they systematically hid and denied years of abuse. They didn't report it to the authorities, they helped move preists from church to church to keep them one step ahead of the law. You make that sound like a bad thing!".

If my brother came to me and said "Help me Jay, I snatched a little 8 year old boy from a playground and brutally raped him for months. It was AWESOME! Anyway, the little brat told on me and now the cops are on my butt. Can you help?" If I then helped my brother hide from the law, If I then intimidated the raped child to not tell anyone what happened, if I helped my brother get away with it, and then he went on to rape child after child after child....WOUDLN'T I ALSO BE A CRIMINAL? The Roman Catholic church HELPED rapists. Even if you aren't actually there to hold the child down, you are still helping the rapist when you make excuses for him, when you help hide the crime.

The proper response when you hear that a child has been forcibly raped is to RECOIL IN HORROR. Not go "okay...well...how can we spin this around? Let's move Father Michael to another church so he can find some fresh meat." Which option did the Catholic Chruch take? From the choices above, please.

So does child molestation happen at non-Catholic schools? Sure. But there isn't an entire mechanism to help rapists get away with their crimes in public schools. There IS a mechanism in Catholic schools and churches. In Catholic institutions, there is a billion dollar industry and a vested interest in sweeping rape under the carpet.

Less Catholic schools means a lot of families are not going to have low cost options for private education of their children. That is sad and definately a con. Less Catholic schools means less rapists will have access to victims and an entire billion dollar industry helping to hide their crimes. That is awesome, and definately a pro.
So your argument is that more school closings will mean less abuse. But we're seeing is that abuse happens even in the PS, private schools and other religious organizations. Students displaced by Catholic school closings face the same risks if they move elsewhere, making your comments effectively OT.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 02-14-2012 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
 
6,922 posts, read 9,065,493 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I think you're confusing the Catholic Church with the Roman Empire, Parliamentary democracy and the Enlightenment.
I think you're confused. The Catholic Church preserved the classical works of the Roman Empire at a time when anglo barbarians, moslem nomads and the likes were pillaging Europe and the Eastern Empire. The church stopped the Huns from destroying Italy with nothing more than the pope's word - no guns, no pirate ships, no commodities or taxes stolen from colonies. Parliamentary democracy? Maybe good for writing pieces of paper but not for creating beautiful objects like Pieta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Pflugerville
2,211 posts, read 3,999,471 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think you're confused. The Catholic Church preserved the classical works of the Roman Empire at a time when anglo barbarians, moslem nomads and the likes were pillaging Europe and the Eastern Empire. The church stopped the Huns from destroying Italy with nothing more than the pope's word - no guns, no pirate ships, no commodities or taxes stolen from colonies. Parliamentary democracy? Maybe good for writing pieces of paper but not for creating beautiful objects like Pieta.
The above comments and the ones you made to me are why I call you a Catholic apologist. You are such a company man for the religion that you keep closing your ears to the things that they do wrong.

Any institution that has existed for 2000 years will have done right things and wrong things. The Catholic Church is wrong and evil and hateful and vengeful 90% of the time. Not a great track record.

However, although I don't care for the church I can at least admit when they do something cool. Such as when Pope Leo politely asked Atilla the Hun to not ransack Rome. Of course, that was 1600 YEARS AGO. If you have to reach back that far to find something cool the Catholic Church did, then maybe it is time to start reevaluating your religious choices. It's too bad you are so blinded and such an apologist that you cannot admit when they do something wrong (as they have a habit of doing).

For instance, the current pope was the head of the CFD, the branch of the church that was supposed to investigate abuse claims. He systematically swept evidence under the rug, reassigned rapist preists, and silenced complaints on the matter. He HELPED rape children. He might as well have been in the room helping hold the kids down. It wasn't until the Catholic rape factory became world wide news that Ratzinger finally started to actually investigate sex abuse accusations, and only then b/c he was trying to protect the church from law suits.

His reward for helping rape THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of children? He got to be pope! And as pope, he gives speeches saying that the washing machine was the greatest historical contribution to women's liberation in the world. The washing machine. Not suffrage. The washing machine. Also, according to your kiddy raping pope, gay marriage is the greatest threat to humanity existing today. Not nuclear weapons. Not global warming. Not weaponized smallpox. Not Jihadists. Not war. Not KIDDY RAPING. Gay marriage.

Your pope is anti-gay, anti-woman and pro-kiddy raping. You must be so proud of your church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
 
6,922 posts, read 9,065,493 times
Reputation: 2866
JB, what Leo did centuries ago has great implications on the kind of civilization we have today. Only the ignorant will mentally detach that relationship. It's not about religion, it's about history.

The rest of your post is nothing but a useless, unscholarly rant. You cannot keep up with Ratzinger on any topic about theology and philosophy, nor can you speak as many languages even with your best efforts so you are in no place to criticize him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top