U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times

Advertisements

Jay Brown's argument for why religious schools, precisely Catholic schools, should not be allowed in a civilized society strikes me quite valid, even if a teeny bit over the top.

If there were a secular instution that was so embroiled in proven child rape for over a CENTURY, does anyone for a moment think it would be allowed to run schools for children? I mean REALLY? Would they not all have been shut down very quickly?

As for being off-topic, I read Jay's statement as a direct answer to the original post title:
"More Catholic school closings?" Which implies the question "WHY?"
His answer was basically: "Because the Catholic Church is unworthy of RUNNING schools."
Seem right on point to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I was never able to forgive my parents for sending me to Catholic school.

Me neither, bluedog!

Old 02-19-2012, 01:50 PM

6,909 posts, read 9,034,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
As for being off-topic, I read Jay's statement as a direct answer to the original post title:
"More Catholic school closings?" Which implies the question "WHY?"
His answer was basically: "Because the Catholic Church is unworthy of RUNNING schools."
Seem right on point to me.
Uhmmm no. The premise of the question itself is wrong which is why the implied "why" question is also wrong. Catholic schools aren't closing. They are merely reconstituting.

JB merely wanted to use this thread to criticize what he thought was wrong with the church and disguise it as a discussion about Catholic schools "closing".

Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM

2,005 posts, read 4,272,823 times
Do you know and maybe some of you don't the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at a cost to your Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. Needless to say, that Catholic education at this time stands head and shoulders above every other form of education that we have in this country. And the cost is approximately 30% less.

If you look at the Cleveland school system, they can boast of an average graduation rate of 36%. Do you know what it costs you and me as far as the other 64% who didn't make it? Or New York's public system is 65% which is a ll time high.

Look at your own records. You (Catholic schools) graduate 89% of your students Your graduates in turn go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%, and all at a cost to you. To the rest of the Americans it's free, but it costs you

Catholics at least 30% less to educate students compared to the costs that the public education system pays out for education that cannot compare.

Why? Why would these enemies of the Church try to destroy an institution that has 230 colleges and universities in the United States with an enrollment of 700,000 students?

The Catholic Church which has a nonprofit hospital system of 637 hospitals which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people not just Catholics in the United States today?

Why would anyone want to destroy an institution like that? Why would anyone want to destroy an institution that clothes and feeds and houses the indigent 1 of 5 indigents in the United States, I've been to many of your shelters and no one asks them if you are a Catholic, a Protestant or a Jew; just "come, be fed, here's a sweater for you and a place to sleep at night" at a cost to the Church of 2.3 billion dollars a year?

The Catholic Church today has 64 million members in the United States and is the largest non-governmental agency in the country. It has 20,000 churches in this country alone. Every year they raise approximately $10 billion to help support these agencies.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:35 AM

Oh lord,

Are you Cardinal Dolan in disguise, or Sister Mary Adolphus?

The Catholic Church LOOKS like it successfully educates children because it cherry picks the GOOD ones and tosses out those who don't measure up. Even dumbing down the brightest kids will still leave you with the brightest, only a little more brainwashed than they needed to be. Their rejects are taught by the public school system. If you throw out every child who could NEVER get into college, guess what, you'll be left with a lot of kids who got into college.

And the brainwashing is truly a hideous criminal conspiracy. If committed by a government it would be akin to a Crime Against Humanity.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-20-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 06:53 AM

2,211 posts, read 3,991,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Do you know and maybe some of you don't the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at a cost to your Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. Needless to say, that Catholic education at this time stands head and shoulders above every other form of education that we have in this country. And the cost is approximately 30% less.

If you look at the Cleveland school system, they can boast of an average graduation rate of 36%. Do you know what it costs you and me as far as the other 64% who didn't make it? Or New York's public system is 65% which is a ll time high.

Look at your own records. You (Catholic schools) graduate 89% of your students Your graduates in turn go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%, and all at a cost to you. To the rest of the Americans it's free, but it costs you

Catholics at least 30% less to educate students compared to the costs that the public education system pays out for education that cannot compare.

Why? Why would these enemies of the Church try to destroy an institution that has 230 colleges and universities in the United States with an enrollment of 700,000 students?

The Catholic Church which has a nonprofit hospital system of 637 hospitals which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people not just Catholics in the United States today?

Why would anyone want to destroy an institution like that? Why would anyone want to destroy an institution that clothes and feeds and houses the indigent 1 of 5 indigents in the United States, I've been to many of your shelters and no one asks them if you are a Catholic, a Protestant or a Jew; just "come, be fed, here's a sweater for you and a place to sleep at night" at a cost to the Church of 2.3 billion dollars a year?

The Catholic Church today has 64 million members in the United States and is the largest non-governmental agency in the country. It has 20,000 churches in this country alone. Every year they raise approximately $10 billion to help support these agencies.
I don't want to "destroy" the church. If you had bothered to read any of the posts you wouldn't have to keep going "why, why WHY!!!??" as a tear of frustration ran down your face. The posters in this thread have ALREADY TOLD YOU "why" they don't care for the catholic church.

It's people like you, who refuse to admit the chruch has EVER done anything wrong, that are the problem. Does the Catholic church do some good things? Sure. Does the Catholic church bend little children over pews and rape them? They sure do. And then they go out of their way to hide it, to protect themselves from lawsuits, to continue to break the law and provide kiddy rapists with as many fresh new victims as they can.

Admit that your church does these things, and stop whitewashing history. Being a sycophant to any cause is not a pretty sight dude.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,387,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The fact that you can't see why someone would be disgusted by the Catholic Church, especially when I have been quite clear why I am, is the reason we can't have a discussion. It has nothing to do with me, and everything to do with you.
No, really it all boils down to you. You're 100% insistent that Catholic schools are closing due simply to the abuse scandals. However, it's due to the economy. Personally, nearly all the children I know attend Catholic schools with a few transferring to public the last few years. Not a single parent cited pedophilia as the reason, every parent cited cost.

On average Catholic school tuition is about $3,500 per year, while true cost to educate is closer to $6,500. The schools start off in a deficit.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
You're 100% insistent that Catholic schools are closing due simply to the abuse scandals. .
Well that is a bald faced lie and I challenge you to show me where I said that. Go ahead, go find it. I dare you. I did not offer any reason for Catholic Schools closing at all. Never. Not once. Do you lie habitually for fun, or did you not read the thread and are just making things up because they fit your notion of me?

What would Jesus say about people who lie Charmed Hour? Is this another example of Catholic morality you are showing us here? Dont you think it's wrong to tell lies charmed hour?

Quote:
On average Catholic school tuition is about $3,500 per year, while true cost to educate is closer to $6,500. The schools start off in a deficit.
Really???!!!! You don't say? Where have I heard something like that before? That sounds so familiar....let me go back to page 3 of this thread...

Quote:
Actually, I will say this for Catholic schools, having attended one myself so many years ago, They go out of their way to charge a FRACTION of what most private schools cost. As far as private schools go, you aren't going to get cheaper than Catholic. Usually the low tuition is offset by the diocese kicking in some money. They believe in educating their young. That's laudable. Now what they eductate them? Not so laudable.
Awww, that's where it was! See Charmed Hour, reading is fundamental! You should try it sometime! You know, instead of making assumptions about people and telling bald faced lies about them.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 02-21-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,387,232 times
Quote:
Well that is a bald faced lie and I challenge you to show me where I said that. Go ahead, go find it. I dare you. I did not offer any reason for Catholic Schools closing at all. Never. Not once. Do you lie habitually for fun, or did you not read the thread and are just making things up because they fit your notion for me?

What would Jesus say about people who lie Charmed Hour? Is this another example of Catholic morality you are showing us here? Dont you think it's wrong to tell lies charmed hour?
LMFAO! Seriously, get over yourself.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
LMFAO! Seriously, get over yourself.
So then, the answer is ..

"No jaybrown80, I cannot find you saying the things I accused you of saying; probably because you never said them. i am a liar. a very very naughty liar."

Thanks for admitting it! Gotta love them catholic morals you display! If you are going to make up stories dear, you really shouldn't do them on a WRITTEN forum where we can go back and look at what everyone said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City