U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 PM

295 posts, read 471,137 times

Advertisements

So does this mean more parents rather send their kids to over populated dangerous public schools or has the economy gotten so much better that they are going to send their kids to private schools with higher tuition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,443,718 times
Many factors cause Catholics school to close. One is money and two a shift in demographics. Many Catholics no longer attend church formally and church donations decrease even though a good portion of that money goes back to Rome to fill il the popes coffers. Also people in the neighborhood cant no longer afford Catholic school especially since we are in a recession. Many Catholics in nyc come from blue collar and grey collar tallies, in some cases many tallies only have a single parent, its either pay rent and eat or sacrifice shelter for your kids on going education. That's a tough call for many parents and hopefully that's a option I wont have to make.

Another problem is a change I'm demographics. Look at bensonhurst Brooklyn a generation ago it was majority Catholic but not many easterners like Chinese and Russians live in the area and do not follow the Catholic faith, this causes the church and the schools to decline in congregation. Many Catholics like Italians, Irish and Puerto ricans are moving out of nyc leaving the priest and church defenseless. Another problem is gentrification. Many Catholic areas of the city like east Harlem and greenpoint are Catholic for now but with wasps out of towners moving to nyc will force Catholics of any backgrounds to move else where due to rise of rents and rezoning. Many Catholics in the city either move into other areas of the city or move out of the city. Mott haven in the Bronx has had a strong Catholic stronghold for the past 100 years, German, then Irish, then puerto ricans and now Mexicans call the church home. The only way for Catholic churches and schools to survive is for other Catholics to support existing institutions in the wake of gradual force of change and personal opinion. As an apostate or a lapsed Catholic myself l, when I have kids I wont send my kids to a Catholic school, secular learning and upbringing is best. Also not I wont send my kids to public schools in nyc either since public schools here are horrible. I would have to convince the mother to be lets move out of nyc to give our child a better upbringing and an affordable education.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-13-2012 at 12:19 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 AM

Thank you for your post. Let me also ask you and others isn't Roman Catholic church the richest in the world?

last i enjoy reading your educated posts xo

Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 AM

Thanks, sorry for my typos, was typing from my tablet touch screen device and auto spell was on.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Thanks, sorry for my typos, was typing from my tablet touch screen device and auto spell was on.
i want to buy one of those I PAD

Old 02-13-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
i want to buy one of those I PAD
That's too elitest for my taste, I got a cheaper kindle fire and its on fire. Or should wait for wow tablet.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 AM

2,211 posts, read 3,994,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAHOE GIRL View Post
Thank you for your post. Let me also ask you and others isn't Roman Catholic church the richest in the world?

last i enjoy reading your educated posts xo
Could you please link whatever source you are quoting, about Catholic Schools closing? A lot of schools are closing down, Catholic and otherwise. Knowing exactly what you are referring too would help.

As far as your question about the Roman Catholic Church being the richest in the world? There is no way to know. Most countries dont require churches to actually file taxes or make available to the public their buisness information. There is no way to know how much money the Catholic Church has because they don't tell anyone. Are they richer than the Mormons or the Baptists? Probably, but who knows?

Regardless, Religion is a multi-billion dollar industry. One of the ways they stay profitable is by KEEPING their money, not giving it away. They are much like any business that way. The Catholic church is not in the practice of using their funds to keep a school in business, especially if said school is not really warranted b/c it's enrollment numbers are down. That's one of the reasons I want you to link your source, so we can see what you are talking about.

Just because they Catholic church has billions upon billions of dollars doesn't mean they are going to go out of their way to keep a few schools open. That's just not good business. What, you want the pope to sale one of his golden crowns or a few of his jewel encrusted rings?? C'mon!

Old 02-13-2012, 05:56 AM

2,211 posts, read 3,994,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
That's too elitest for my taste, I got a cheaper kindle fire and its on fire. Or should wait for wow tablet.
I also have a kindle fire and it makes me sad b/c it has trouble reading my fingers. I don't even bother to google or something b/c I know I won't be able to click on the link, no matter how hard or gently I press the screen.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:18 AM

292 posts, read 580,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Could you please link whatever source you are quoting, about Catholic Schools closing? A lot of schools are closing down, Catholic and otherwise. Knowing exactly what you are referring too would help.

As far as your question about the Roman Catholic Church being the richest in the world? There is no way to know. Most countries dont require churches to actually file taxes or make available to the public their buisness information. There is no way to know how much money the Catholic Church has because they don't tell anyone. Are they richer than the Mormons or the Baptists? Probably, but who knows?

Regardless, Religion is a multi-billion dollar industry. One of the ways they stay profitable is by KEEPING their money, not giving it away. They are much like any business that way. The Catholic church is not in the practice of using their funds to keep a school in business, especially if said school is not really warranted b/c it's enrollment numbers are down. That's one of the reasons I want you to link your source, so we can see what you are talking about.

Just because they Catholic church has billions upon billions of dollars doesn't mean they are going to go out of their way to keep a few schools open. That's just not good business. What, you want the pope to sale one of his golden crowns or a few of his jewel encrusted rings?? C'mon!

When public schools "close", it is really a restructuring.
When Catholic schools close, they really close.

Offers from alumni pour in to keep cash-strapped Nazareth High School from closing in June* - NY Daily News
dotCommonweal Blog Archive Nazareth High School, R.I.P.
New York Archdiocese Plans to Close 32 Schools - NYTimes.com
New York Archdiocese to Close 27 Schools | NBC New York
The New York Times > Education > Catholic Church Closing 22 Schools in Brooklyn and Queens
At Corpus Christi, a battle against closure - Queens Chronicle: Western Queens News
Video: Rally to Save Long Island Catholic Schools - Sayville, NY Patch

List of closed schools in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not enough Catholics.
And not enough non-Catholics are willing to pay the asking price.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 AM

6,909 posts, read 9,045,393 times
This is not across the board. The stronger Catholic schools are seeing high enrollment and are getting more applicants than available seats, especially in the suburbs (that despite paying RE taxes). Also, new ones are opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City