U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,729,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
You may or may not choose to contribute to our superiority list, but I sure would like to hear why you are superior to those douches.
Never said I was.

I have a problem with people who think they are superior to anyone else for any BS reason.

However check the forums for other cities like Portland, Austin, Boston, etc. and they don't get much love from the locals there either. Mainly because of people who move there then complain about it and what it's lacking. No one told you to move there!

Also the argument of them "helping the economy" is laughable when they don't usually support the local mom and pop store that's been there 30 years. They'd rather go 3 blocks to the overpriced place their friend owns.

As for cruelty free food, I don't buy into the hype. If it makes your conscience feel better, by all means go for it. But let's face facts, the end result is still the same whether you like it or not, the animal still got slaughtered. It's still dead, regardless of what kind of life it lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 PM

142 posts, read 219,030 times
It is funny to list and discuss hipster fetishes because what annoys is the fact that they've been fetishized. Making fun of somebody for turning up and saying "look at me, I'm a vegan, I'm on a bike, why don't they have blahblahblah here" is not the same as condemning bikes and wheat gluten across the board. Making fun of girls who will sleep with you if you've read Heidegger is not the same as putting down anyone who's ever read Heidegger- in fact, even making that joke probably indicates a rather intimate knowledge of 20th century philosophers.

Lol at new avenues in music, though. The hipster music template is well-established. Even the music one listens to "ironically" must conform to the canon.

Also, if I wanted to play devil's advocate on this thread, there are many compelling arguments to be made that rise above pointless blather about cholesterol and factory farming.

But please, don't let me dissuade you from continuing to twist peoples' words and promote your sophomoric agenda.

Last edited by Hieronymus Bosch; 02-17-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-17-2012, 12:15 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,285,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Read that over and over again and tell me how that sounds. This is exactly the attitude that makes you so unpopular. Your condescending, look at me, I know more than you do attitude. You're going to tell a guy that's been born and raised here that you know more about his city? You may have researched and know where all the roof top gardens and trendy art galleries are in Bushwich and Williamsburg but you don't know the real pulse and culture of NYC like him. You know transplant I'm smarter than the natives culture in NYC.
Not sure I really care how that makes me sound in a forum site....but the truth is I have always been a fan of the history of cities and have a tendency to study them more extensively than most people because that is what interests me the most. For those who were born and raised there, sure you know the street life of the city better than me, I won't argue that, but most people don't take the time to study the entire history of their own city because most people don't care about that.

Also, I am not a fan of Bushwick, and rarely go to Williamsburg when I am there. I pay more attention to the architecture than the galleries because that is what my interest lies in.

So I guess cause I don't live there yet, all I am allowed to do is say "how is this (insert neighborhood)?" and have you guys give me your holy advice then simply leave the site until I move here? Some of you guys really need to grow up, no one really cares what goes on in these forum sites outside of the site. You make it sound like I have offended all of NYC when in fact I would probably never run into any of you guys while I am there, and you probably wouldn't even know who I was.

So sorry if I annoy anyone here, but that really isn't my biggest concern in life.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,729,742 times
Another funny thing also is not everyone that owns or uses an Apple product is a hipster. I have to use a Mac at work. However I refuse to buy an iPhone, because I never had a desire to and every Verizon Wireless employee I have come across has vehemently told me NOT to buy it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:20 PM

7,904 posts, read 6,483,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For those who were born and raised there, sure you know the street life of the city better than me, I won't argue that, but most people don't take the time to study the entire history of their own city because most people don't care about that.
If you were going with the history angle on me, you definitely chose the wrong flank, trust me. Go with "Manhattan nightlife", I know absolutely nothing about that at all. I can fairly confidently state that I've spent more time researching and walking around Greenwood Cemetery alone than you've even spent in the entire city.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,285,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If you were going with the history angle on me, you definitely chose the wrong flank, trust me. Go with "Manhattan nightlife", I know absolutely nothing about that at all. I can fairly confidently state that I've spent more time researching and walking around Greenwood Cemetery alone than you've even spent in the entire city.
That is good to hear, but truth be told at the end of the day, you don't know me and I don't know you. In reality, I am sure you and I would have plenty to talk about along those lines, which if you are ever wanting to engage in that kind of conversations let me know.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,934,217 times
Hispeter have actually improved the look, nightlife and commerce of several neighborhoods.
Williamsburg was a total dump before hipsters started to move in the early 90's.
From a real estate point of view they have increased the value of the neighborhood substantially.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 PM

7,904 posts, read 6,483,818 times
See, now that's the attitude to have when you're out of your element, not "I probably know more than you about your own city."

What exactly is your concentration as far as NYC history? I tend to focus on brewing, cemeteries/notable citizens, and military events.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The best way to tell a hipster by its iphone is to see wether or not they have specific hipsterish apps such as Instagram, hipstamatic or flipboard which are all photo sharing apps but also provides graphic altering to make pictures look old school. Vintage is very popular among hipsters while keeping and looking cool with the new like getting a new iphone every year upon release. Also just be lucky that SXSW is around the corner many Hipsters are going to flock down to Austin in the coming days. I too also wanna check out SXSW but maybe next time.
You're funny but you can't judge people based off of that alone. I have an iPhone and yes I use Instagram because I like photography. I hardly EVER use the Vintage filter because it makes the image looks dull. Also I LOVE Apple Inc. Long story short Steve Jobs was my idol (R.I.P) and I don't buy their products to be 'cool'. I buy them because I refuse to use Windows and Android. The Apple "ecosystem" works for me, but this still shouldn't be an indicator that I'm a hipster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
I just know I would never be classified as a hipster. If I go to Los Angeles or wherever, it's not gonna happen. So people need to stop saying it's becoming a "stereotype"

I'm a "young" person, but I don't dress like a hipster. I think that's the main deciding factor in one's eyes. I dress like if I grew up in NYC, with "urban" (I guess you could say) fashion. That sure as hell doesn't mean I'm uneducated.
No it is becoming a stereotype if you can walk down the street and LOOK at someone and say "That's a hipster." You're stereotyping them. That's like seeing a black guy with a black hoodie and saying "He's going to rob someone." or seeing a white guy in a suit saying "He must have a great job and he's rich" See how stupid that sounds? That's how some people view 'hipsters' and that's insane. You shouldn't make assumptions about people just by looking at them.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 PM

142 posts, read 219,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
No it is becoming a stereotype if you can walk down the street and LOOK at someone and say "That's a hipster." You're stereotyping them. That's like seeing a black guy with a black hoodie and saying "He's going to rob someone." or seeing a white guy in a suit saying "He must have a great job and he's rich" See how stupid that sounds? That's how some people view 'hipsters' and that's insane. You shouldn't make assumptions about people just by looking at them.
But the jokes are funny because a lot of people know a hipster when they see one, in the same way that somebody with street smarts knows a real thug when they see one, and someone who works on capital hill knows a real slimeball corporate lobbyist when they see one. The accessories are just common things to poke fun at, but that only works when those accessories are part of the package.

Let's take a hopefully gentler socioeconomic poke as an example.

Line 1: "I was at the gym today, and all I have to say is, lots of I-pods and track pants."

Line 2: "I was down in Brighton Beach today, lots of gold chains and track pants."

See the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City