U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM

288 posts, read 487,209 times

Advertisements

or like saying Line 1: "I was on City-Data today. Lots of close-mindedness, conjecture and overly worrying about day-to-day crime statistics"

Line 2:"I was on City Data today. I felt so much better about myself after I bashed some hipsters, shat on the mayor and schooled someone about the gangbangers that roam certain subway stops in Brooklyn"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM

338 posts, read 331,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Don't forget;

-Pabst beer
-Soy milk
-Tofu
-Handmade cigarrettes

And

-Organic gluten-free veggie burgers.
I drink soy milk, love tofu and actually grows some of my own vegetables in my yard (mostly tomato and some squash) but this doesn't make me a hipster. Being a hipster has more to do with the attitude of such person more than what the person does.

A hipster, whiling drinking soy milk and eating tofu, is probably also condemning meat consumption and b*tching about the environment, believes everyone else is ignorant, etc. I don't do any of these things. I simply like soy milk and tofu.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM

400 posts, read 832,781 times
The constant weekend shutdowns needed to upgrade subway signals on the L line is taking its toll on the blossoming Williamsburg bar scene — with hipster hangouts reporting huge drops in profits. [LEFT]
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...#ixzz1mm1mvMWE

One thing you will NEVER see hipsters on is the bus. Well at least not outside of Manhattan buses.

You could always take the Q54 from Jamaica Avenue. it stops at the L at grand and goes all the way to the J at Marcy avenue.
[/LEFT]

Old 02-17-2012, 03:35 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,729,063 times
The L line has had constant construction going on for as long as I can remember. I hated the days of coming home from night clubs in the city as a teenager and there was a shuttle bus between Lorimer and Myrtle or some crap. I guess some things never change.

I thought the Williamsburg bar scene was slowing down on its own but guess I was wrong.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 PM

65 posts, read 123,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
You forgot the Woody Allen glasses, the quirky hat covering up the "bed head", the worn out iconic T shirts, the all season al-Queda scarf, and the paint stained converse sneakers.

Did I leave anything out?
Moccasins, with no socks, in mid-February. I just witnessed that on the train the other day.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,995,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
I drink soy milk, love tofu and actually grows some of my own vegetables in my yard (mostly tomato and some squash) but this doesn't make me a hipster. Being a hipster has more to do with the attitude of such person more than what the person does.

A hipster, whiling drinking soy milk and eating tofu, is probably also condemning meat consumption and b*tching about the environment, believes everyone else is ignorant, etc. I don't do any of these things. I simply like soy milk and tofu.
Nope. According to the rules and regulations of City-Data (NY Forum) you're a hipster. Sorry. You're cursed for life.

It goes back to my theory of just stereotyping people. You can't make such a conclusion unless you know that person. No matter if it's a joke or not, people really seem to despise hipsters. Focus that negative energy towards the people who's destroying communities (crime, vandalism,etc) and closing schools. You know, the things that should matter. Once again just my opinion.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:12 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,823,593 times
Bro this is simply a thread having some fun regarding the throng of douchey hipsters in this city. People who are themselves extremely snarky and judgemental about people and places they don't really know about either. Nobody is saying that crime and our education system are not problems. There are tons of threads about these topics. Do you deny that new york (particularly north brooklyn), is gradually seeing a migration of this type? Why are you offended?

Also, I can't speak for everyone here, but simply eating certain things or listening to certain music doesn't put you in that book to me. That's f'n silly. I bike ride and eat very healthy myself. But if the stereotype hipster douche doesn't mean anything to you and you don't agree that they're everywhere (in certain areas), then you're blind as a bat.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:54 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,197,604 times
The band STROKES in the early 00's their visual appearance was very hipsterish and they hit the top forty on the charts so they were definitely liked outside the hipster movement too.

Don't know if they are still around or the reaction among die hard hipsters, probably when they hit top forty they were not considered cool anymore and the band started to whine that our intention was never to be commercial altough we were more than happy when a major record label finally took us under their protective wings.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-18-2012 at 04:15 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 04:04 AM

14,840 posts, read 17,423,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
The band STROKES in the early 00's their visual appearance was very hipsterish and they hit the top ten on the charts if not even #1 so they were definitely liked outside the hipster movement too.

Don't know if they are still around or the reaction among die hard hipsters, probably when they hit #1 they were not considered cool anymore.
Dont forget the hives and the vines.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,197,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Dont forget the hives and the vines.
Yea, I remember those.

I edited my original post The Strokes, Is This It album hit #33 on Billboard not #1.

The name of the singer is Julian Casablancas so that's got be a hipster or some art gallery type.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-18-2012 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: More info added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City