U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM

288 posts, read 487,499 times

Advertisements

The question is not if hipsters like being called hipsters. The question is if people who feel superior to hipsters call themselves superior to hipsters.

I myself do.

Not only is it ridiculous to eat organic food (after all, why have technological advancement at all if we can't use it to turn natural food into chemical compounds that give us diabetes and cancer? Yay, progress!), and move to New York City from the midwest (mankind has always been sedentary. Ask Christopher Columbus, you jerks!), but I have the comforting knowledge that those puss ies wouldn't stand a chance if I had to fight them with my fists.

Also: us superior-to-hipsters-feelers, we have our own little community, don't we? Just as those bearded transplant yupsters recognize each other by mentioning the name of the newest yoga studio on a Bushwick side street where they will likely be robbed by some gangbanger, we recognize each other by obsessing about the newest yoga studio on a Bushwick side street where we get some rotisserie chicken from an obscure puerto rican restaurant, and then making fun of it. "Hey, have you seen that new yoga place on Johnson Ave?" "yeah, those guys who go there look like they're on crack! Not so different from the good ol' days!" "har, har, har, har, har!"

Good times all around.

My question to you, fellow superior-to-hipsters-feelers: what makes you superior to hipsters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM

142 posts, read 219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grigou View Post
The question is not if hipsters like being called hipsters. The question is if people who feel superior to hipsters call themselves superior to hipsters.

I myself do.

Not only is it ridiculous to eat organic food (after all, why have technological advancement at all if we can't use it to turn natural food into chemical compounds that give us diabetes and cancer? Yay, progress!), and move to New York City from the midwest (mankind has always been sedentary. Ask Christopher Columbus, you jerks!), but I have the comforting knowledge that those puss ies wouldn't stand a chance if I had to fight them with my fists.

Also: us superior-to-hipsters-feelers, we have our own little community, don't we? Just as those bearded transplant yupsters recognize each other by mentioning the name of the newest yoga studio on a Bushwick side street where they will likely be robbed by some gangbanger, we recognize each other by obsessing about the newest yoga studio on a Bushwick side street where we get some rotisserie chicken from an obscure puerto rican restaurant, and then making fun of it. "Hey, have you seen that new yoga place on Johnson Ave?" "yeah, those guys who go there look like they're on crack! Not so different from the good ol' days!" "har, har, har, har, har!"

Good times all around.

My question to you, fellow superior-to-hipsters-feelers: what makes you superior to hipsters?
People who are blatantly seeking attention and constantly looking for new self-congratulatory status symbols will always be made fun of by somebody. The hipsters of tomorrow may not embrace the same fetishes as the hipsters of today, but they will certainly continue to co-opt and annoy.

"Annoy" is not synonymous with "inspire feelings of superiority in the observer."

Oh, and whatever whatever about transplanting and eating healthy, as the devil is in the details for those pursuits, but fixed gear bikes are stupid and bad for your knees unless you're riding them on a closed racing track.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,989,669 times
There is a hipster dive coffee shop on Sullivan Street called Third Rail Coffee.
Last year I went in and I guess somebody cool in the Hipster world was there getting coffee.
It was just me and him there, no other customers.
The guy had his coffee in his hand and you could tell he was trying to get out of the store.
But the bearded plad shirt wearing freak behind the counter kept talking to him.
Went something like this:
..Yeah I downloaded {insert stoopid band here}'s new cd and I loved it...I realllly loved the way you did {this and that} blah blah blah...

Customer:
Yeah hey thanks a lot man we really tried to capture the 70s vibe with...blah blah blah...ok man I gotta run...
Clerk:
Oh yeah..I hear ya man--I liked theThelonious Monk feel to it..it reminded me of his first album....blah blah blah...
Thelonious Monk???
That kid behind the counter was trying sooooooo hard to be different.
He just HAD to be the 'cool kid' with the crazy musical taste.
The guy was all of about 23 years old.

The guy walked out and I stepped to the counter----the kid asked me if I knew who that was.
I responded EXACTLY this:
No, I don't know who that was, nor do I care. I just want a cup of coffee.
It was like I didn't even speak---
He starts right in telling me all about that guy and how he's in an up and coming band....blah....blah blah..
I said EXACTLY this:
"Maybe you didn't hear me---I don't give a Moderator cut: Please don't circumvent the language filter about that guy, I just want coffee...but you can't do that because your acting like a teenage girl with a crush on the team quarterback"
He tells me to not be so hostile.
I told him to grow up--then I walked out.

Fini.
Never went back.
I'm sure the owner of that store would not have liked that.
Efffff him too for allowing his employees to treat customers like that.

Carry on...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-20-2012 at 12:30 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 02-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Thanks for this wonderful example of why we feel superior!

We don't try to be different or explore new musical avenues, we conform and despise anything "different" as it mostly means "pretentious" and "unworthy". We "keep it real", we "don't give a Moderator cut: Inappropriate language". Why engage in a conversation with someone we already know is going to be annoying? We have nothing to learn, nothing to explore, we are no-nonsense, we don't want to be bothered or challenged as these are only things ignorant kids (and/or freaks) are interested in.

Also, a real person (i.e. not a bearded plaid-shirt wearing transplant freak yupster) knows how to serve a customer. They don't.

Next please! This is interesting!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-20-2012 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,828,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
In b4 grigou chimes in with some "witty" tantrum about bearded transplants...
Quote:

I myself do.

Good times all around.

Quote:

We don't try to be different or explore new musical avenues, we conform and despise anything "different" as it mostly means "pretentious" and "unworthy". We "keep it real", we "don't give a". Why engage in a conversation with someone we already know is going to be annoying? We have nothing to learn, nothing to explore, we are no-nonsense, we don't want to be bothered or challenged as these are only things ignorant kids (and/or freaks) are interested in.

Also, a real person (i.e. not a bearded plaid-shirt wearing transplant freak yupster) knows how to serve a customer. They don't.

Wow he sashayed in here even more whimsical and self-congratulatory than anyone could have ever possibly imagined. You're so good at this...

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-20-2012 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM

hmmmm. Posting a gif of Robert DeNiro in a punk outfit has to do what with hipsters exactly?

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

142 posts, read 219,155 times
Quote:

We don't try to be different or explore new musical avenues, we conform and despise anything "different" as it mostly means "pretentious" and "unworthy". We "keep it real", we "don't give a". Why engage in a conversation with someone we already know is going to be annoying? We have nothing to learn, nothing to explore, we are no-nonsense, we don't want to be bothered or challenged as these are only things ignorant kids (and/or freaks) are interested in.

No, it's not, because you've just demonstrated your willingness to respond only to those posts which allow you to continue playing the same note over and over again.

Good day to you, sir.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,828,786 times
Quote:
hmmmm. Posting a gif of Robert DeNiro in a punk outfit has to do what with hipsters exactly?

Travis Bickle appreciates your rare brand of in your face wit.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:28 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,044,390 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with feeling superior. Hipsters are what they are, they intentionally try to bring attention to themselves. Just because they're unique and special and brought real culture to New York doesn't mean we all have to love and embrace them.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:39 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,298,218 times
Most hipsters are just young people being young people trying to fit in with a group of young people. I am not sure I understand all this whining about hipsters. You guys might as well start every post with "back in my day...."

Sure, I might make the occasional poke at a hipster's expense (primarily when fanny pack and granny sweaters start making a comeback) but overall they are not really any more annoying than anyone else in their 20s, which I am sure each one of you were equally annoying to someone much older than you at one point or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City