U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,828,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Most hipsters are just young people being young people trying to fit in with a group of young people. I am not sure I understand all this whining about hipsters. You guys might as well start every post with "back in my day...."

Sure, I might make the occasional poke at a hipster's expense (primarily when fanny pack and granny sweaters start making a comeback) but overall they are not really any more annoying than anyone else in their 20s, which I am sure each one of you were equally annoying to someone much older than you at one point or another.

I imagine you must have to learn to enjoy their company out there in Portland, being that it's much smaller and they are literally everywhere. It's a little different here though. These fragile little facks tend to prance around like they own any area they are walking in, no matter how long they've been here. And it's irritating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM

142 posts, read 219,155 times
Quote:
Most hipsters are just young people being young people trying to fit in with a group of young people. I am not sure I understand all this whining about hipsters. You guys might as well start every post with "back in my day...."

Sure, I might make the occasional poke at a hipster's expense (primarily when fanny pack and granny sweaters start making a comeback) but overall they are not really any more annoying than anyone else in their 20s, which I am sure each one of you were equally annoying to someone much older than you at one point or another.
If only they were all in their 20's.

Personally, I remember first experiencing their absurd pretension when I was in my early 20's, which was also before the H- word had really taken hold.

I'll readily admit, though, to a general lack of understanding of the midwest. I'm sure I'd rub a lot of people the wrong way if I moved there.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieronymus Bosch View Post
I'll readily admit, though, to a general lack of understanding of the midwest. I'm sure I'd rub a lot of people the wrong way if I moved there.

Man, I lived in CA (not the midwest, but whatever) for 5 years. I kept to myself, hung out with my girlfriend, and enjoyed the area for what it was. I never posted blogs or complained about how certain areas need new and different establishments. I never complained to community boards that we need bike lanes on the street immediately. I never locked a bike I was riding on someone's front gate for 10 hours at a time. It's not very difficult to respect your new place of residence for what it is.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,298,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Man, I lived in CA (not the midwest, but whatever) for 5 years. I kept to myself, hung out with my girlfriend, and enjoyed the area for what it was. I never posted blogs or complained about how certain areas need new and different establishments. I never complained to community boards that we need bike lanes on the street immediately. I never locked a bike I was riding on someone's front gate for 10 hours at a time. It's not very difficult to respect your new place of residence for what it is.
Was the internet even around when you were young? Please go on!

And by hipster, you mean young people, then yes young people are all over Portland, and it has helped create a very friendly bike healthy city in the process.

I assume you complain as much about bike lanes as you do new roads and freeways?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Was the internet even around when you were young? Please go on!
Yes, I am am not all that old. Ipods were around when I was out there.

Quote:
And by hipster, you mean young people, then yes young people are all over Portland, and it has helped create a very friendly bike healthy city in the process.
By hipster, I mean it in the context of how people are describing them in this thread. Not just "young people", no. I love how people always fall back to that. And yeah I spent a solid month in Portland as well. So I got to see it.

Quote:
I assume you complain as much about bike lanes as you do new roads and freeways?

Did you mean "complain about roads and freeways as much as bike lanes" instead? The answer is that I don't complain to anyone important about bike lanes, because I don't care that much. I may point out the silliness on here every now and again because I know first hand how useless they are. They absolutely provide a false sense of security. And when they are physically sectioned off (taking away loading zones for businesses), they seem to me not to be justified as you really never see all that many people using them relatively speaking.

I love bike riding. I do it all the time. I've been doing it since I was a kid. I don't need city government using tax money better spent in a multitude of different areas trying to give me a false sense of security to do it though.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:43 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,298,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Yes, I am am not all that old. Ipods were around when I was out there.

By hipster, I mean it in the context of how people are describing them in this thread. Not just "young people", no. I love how people always fall back to that. And yeah I spent a solid month in Portland as well. So I got to see it.

Did you mean "complain about roads and freeways as much as bike lanes" instead? The answer is that I don't complain to anyone important about bike lanes, because I don't care that much. I may point out the silliness on here every now and again because I know first hand how useless they are. They absolutely provide a false sense of security. And when they are physically sectioned off (taking away loading zones for businesses), they seem to me not to be justified as you really never see all that many people using them relatively speaking.

I love bike riding. I do it all the time. I've been doing it since I was a kid. I don't need city government using tax money better spent in a multitude of different areas trying to give me a false sense of security to do it though.
Well seeing that I live in a city that is full of bike lanes and has proven how effective they can be for creating safer biking, I don't think they give a false sense of security, I think they create an awareness to drivers that the road they are on is shared with bikes.

And complaining about hipsters is like complaining about models or jocks or any other social group, it really doesn't mean anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM

21 posts, read 66,287 times
What I will never, ever, ever understand is how someone can put on a pair of skin freaking tight jeans and think it looks good. It looks ridiculous and especially so when the person wearing them isn't rail thin themselves. I especially get douche chills when I see a guy who is kinda overweight wearing them. That's like 100 times worse.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Well seeing that I live in a city that is full of bike lanes and has proven how effective they can be for creating safer biking, I don't think they give a false sense of security, I think they create an awareness to drivers that the road they are on is shared with bikes.

New York is not Portland and it never will be. As much as some try to make it be it seems. The east coast is a different animal as a whole.

Quote:
And complaining about hipsters is like complaining about models or jocks or any other social group, it really doesn't mean anything.
We're making fun of hipsters in this thread. You decided to chime in. Make a thread about any other group and I'll chime in if feel like it.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsantos13 View Post
What I will never, ever, ever understand is how someone can put on a pair of skin freaking tight jeans and think it looks good. It looks ridiculous and especially so when the person wearing them isn't rail thin themselves. I especially get douche chills when I see a guy who is kinda overweight wearing them. That's like 100 times worse.
This has been boggling my mind for years.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,732,028 times
When I was in my 20s I never acted like I was better than anyone else because they didn't listen to the same music or dress the same as me. I never moved to another location to complain about the locals there and point out what I think the area needs according to my specifications. That is the problem we have. The holier than thou atttitude that if you're not one of them you're a knuckle dragging, uneducated blue collar townie. To that I say they can all kiss my Puerto Rican behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City