U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 PM

14,778 posts, read 17,397,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
I find it amusing you guys hate hipsters yet you're trying to sleep with them. You couldn't pay me to sleep with one of those guys.
The Spaniards didn't like native Americans but still slept with their women. The mongoose didn't like Chinese, Persians, Russians. Indians, Turks, poles, Koreans Arabs and etc but they still slept their enemies women. The soviets didn't like the Nazis but they still had sex with Nazi Germans. If one hipster chick passes my way and aconversations starts I will try to charm her with Indies film talk and some philosophy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am not sure I understand all this whining about hipsters.
How could you understand what New Yorkers think of hipsters? You don't live here. You're getting to be like that wacky gun guy who kept mouthing off in the NY forum.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
You forgot the Woody Allen glasses, the quirky hat covering up the "bed head", the worn out iconic T shirts, the all season al-Queda scarf, and the paint stained converse sneakers.

Did I leave anything out?
Could you link me to a photo of a hipster in the Al Qaeda scarf? I am soooo out of it and hardly ever take the L train anymore.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,993,978 times
My opinion. . . .

That word has become a new class of stereotyping.

You own an iPhone/Apple Products ---> Hipster.
You honestly dislike a lot of "Mainstream" artist (because the majority of them suck. Lady Gaga & Adele are exceptions) ---> Hipster.
You're wearing All-Stars (converse) ----> Extreme Hipster.
etc.

In my opinion, it's tiring. But I've been called a 'douche-bag hipster' by my cousin and others before so maybe I don't notice the stuff some of you guys do. Or maybe I just don't care to notice it? I don't know.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:24 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,818,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Could you link me to a photo of a hipster in the Al Qaeda scarf? I am soooo out of it and hardly ever take the L train anymore.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,260,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How could you understand what New Yorkers think of hipsters? You don't live here. You're getting to be like that wacky gun guy who kept mouthing off in the NY forum.
Yeah, I don't care how you feel, besides I probably know more about nyc than you do, but that isn't really important...you guys enjoy the patting yourself on the backs.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
My opinion. . . .

That word has become a new class of stereotyping.

You own an iPhone/Apple Products ---> Hipster.
You honestly dislike a lot of "Mainstream" artist (because the majority of them suck. Lady Gaga & Adele are exceptions) ---> Hipster.
You're wearing All-Stars (converse) ----> Extreme Hipster.
etc.

In my opinion, it's tiring. But I've been called a 'douche-bag hipster' by my cousin and others before so maybe I don't notice the stuff some of you guys do. Or maybe I just don't care to notice it? I don't know.
The best way to tell a hipster by its iphone is to see wether or not they have specific hipsterish apps such as Instagram, hipstamatic or flipboard which are all photo sharing apps but also provides graphic altering to make pictures look old school. Vintage is very popular among hipsters while keeping and looking cool with the new like getting a new iphone every year upon release. Also just be lucky that SXSW is around the corner many Hipsters are going to flock down to Austin in the coming days. I too also wanna check out SXSW but maybe next time.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 PM

423 posts, read 1,102,180 times
I just know I would never be classified as a hipster. If I go to Los Angeles or wherever, it's not gonna happen. So people need to stop saying it's becoming a "stereotype"

I'm a "young" person, but I don't dress like a hipster. I think that's the main deciding factor in one's eyes. I dress like if I grew up in NYC, with "urban" (I guess you could say) fashion. That sure as hell doesn't mean I'm uneducated.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:21 PM

423 posts, read 1,102,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
When I was in my 20s I never acted like I was better than anyone else because they didn't listen to the same music or dress the same as me. I never moved to another location to complain about the locals there and point out what I think the area needs according to my specifications. That is the problem we have. The holier than thou atttitude that if you're not one of them you're a knuckle dragging, uneducated blue collar townie. To that I say they can all kiss my Puerto Rican behind.
And this is exactly how I feel. If I ever go live anywhere else (Los Angeles looking more likely), I'm never gonna complain about lack of amenities (whatever that means, because last I checked, hispanics/blacks also need to eat), or lack of freaking cafes, or "hip" places.

What is a "hip" place anyway?

Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
And this is exactly how I feel. If I ever go live anywhere else (Los Angeles looking more likely), I'm never gonna complain about lack of amenities (whatever that means, because last I checked, hispanics/blacks also need to eat), or lack of freaking cafes, or "hip" places.

What is a "hip" place anyway?
A Thai, Sushi or a Tex Mex Joint, even a roadside food truck that sells kosher and organic cupcakes can be hip. Tapas, beer brewing, farms, beer gardens, book stores, cheese factories can all be hip. Even Apple stores and American Apperal is hip for Hipsters to hang out at. Hipster movement is only a fad and will probably go away in time or if not another scenester movement culture will be burn out of the hipster one. The only culture I miss is the goth punk type which dominated the village and the NYC public school system, those guys and gals were cool. I rarelly see any goths unless they all moved to Florida or the West Coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City