U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
3,231 posts, read 3,473,865 times
Reputation: 2850

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
By now both LIC and Astoria are both as expensive as East a River Brooklyn.
I doubt that. We are talking DUMBO, Brooklyn heights, and Williamsburg here. I was walking in Brooklyn heights recently and they had 1br for rent in the 5k-10k range. LIC and Astoria are roughly the price of Carrol Gardens/Boreum hill.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-01-2015, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Bronx
425 posts, read 252,782 times
Reputation: 381
Does anyone know what the difference is in terms of home-ownership vs renters in both boroughs?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, not Paris. #MAGA.
9,693 posts, read 5,272,723 times
Reputation: 9671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
Does anyone know what the difference is in terms of home-ownership vs renters in both boroughs?
I cited some statistics on that in another thread, but can't seem to find the post now. I'll post if I find later.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 05:32 PM
 
784 posts, read 843,703 times
Reputation: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
For the most part Brooklyn and QUeens have mirror image neighborhoods of each other.

Astoria = Williamsburg
Jamaica Avenue = Fulton st
Flushing Meadows park = Prospect Park
Hispanic Roosevelt Avenue (7 train) = Hispanic Broadway (J train)
Coney Island = Rockaways

What differences within these boroughs are specific to just that borough. Like Brooklyn is known nationwide for its hipster population and is really not found in QUeens. QUeens is known for its unrivaled for its diversity.

There is no highway that cuts right through Brooklyn. Try getting to the cemetery of holy cross by car.


What neighborhoods are more or less replicas of each others and what neighborhoods are in no way shape or form like any other?
Broadway has a larger black population than roosevelt ave......although hispanics are still high majority in bushwick, blacks are a significant minority.....and most of the blacks in bushwick live within 3 blocks of broadway......esp as you get closer to broadway junction...and lets not forget black bed stuy on the other side of broadway......
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 09:09 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
LOL!

That was a good laugh.


Those two are not even close to being similar. Let alone a mirror image of each other.
I don't find any of the 4 to be good comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Broadway has a larger black population than roosevelt ave......although hispanics are still high majority in bushwick, blacks are a significant minority.....and most of the blacks in bushwick live within 3 blocks of broadway......esp as you get closer to broadway junction...and lets not forget black bed stuy on the other side of broadway......
Not to mention, the Hispanics in Bushwick are generally Puerto Rican or Dominican while along Roosevelt Avenue it's mostly Mexicans, Central Americans, and South Americans
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
728 posts, read 492,670 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Astoria = Williamsburg
Jamaica Avenue = Fulton st
Flushing Meadows park = Prospect Park
Hispanic Roosevelt Avenue (7 train) = Hispanic Broadway (J train)
Coney Island = Rockaways


Way off.

Astoria= Bay Ridge (if anything, still not the best comparison)
Jamaica Ave = Flatbush Ave
"Hispanic" Roosevelt Ave= 5th Avenue in Sunset park (maybe, again, as close as it gets)
Coney Island= There is not comparable area in Queens. Rockaway is way way different
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post


Way off.

Astoria= Bay Ridge (if anything, still not the best comparison)
Jamaica Ave = Flatbush Ave
"Hispanic" Roosevelt Ave= 5th Avenue in Sunset park (maybe, again, as close as it gets)
Coney Island= There is not comparable area in Queens. Rockaway is way way different
I agree with the Jamaica Avenue=Fulton Street. If anything, Flatbush Avenue is more like Queens Boulevard, or even Northern Boulevard, and a small mix of Cross Bay Blvd.

Last edited by DoomDan515; 09-02-2015 at 04:29 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 PM
 
11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Reputation: 5949
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I agree with the Jamaica Avenue=Fulton Street. If anything, Flatbush Avenue is more like Northern Boulevard, or even Queens Boulevard, and a small mix of Cross Bay Blvd.
How is Flatbush Avenue like Northern or Queens Boulevard?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Glendale NY
4,841 posts, read 7,856,745 times
Reputation: 3503
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
How is Flatbush Avenue like Northern or Queens Boulevard?
Flatbush Avenue has Kings Plaza Mall and links to the Manhattan bridge, whereas Queens Blvd is where Queen Center Mall is located and links to the Queensboro bridge. Both streets also have a very large amount of different train lines serving them.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2018, 07:29 AM
 
Location: In the heights
20,110 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Reputation: 10206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Flatbush Avenue has Kings Plaza Mall and links to the Manhattan bridge, whereas Queens Blvd is where Queen Center Mall is located and links to the Queensboro bridge. Both streets also have a very large amount of different train lines serving them.
Yea, but which mall is better?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top