U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 AM

343 posts, read 896,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasa View Post
as in where? Long Island City?

We don't mind a small studio instead of a 1BR but we want to be at a nice neighborhood and great location obviously.
Perhaps the east village will also be worth looking into.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Just because areas look close to the business district, transportation can make them far. Follow advice about living on the same train line as you are working on. Where will you be working again?

When I used to live in Manhattan, I lived on the west side. It took me 15 minutes to walk to 8th Avenue from the river, to get the train. That's a lot of time. The bus was no faster.

Currently, It takes me 20-25 minutes to get downtown. And in my safe, Bronx neighborhood Pre-War Huge 3 bedrooms are going for $1600. But I own now, instead of renting so my opinion about the neighborhood can be slightly bias

A 1br in the East Village might be hard for $1500. You may want to look into Williamsburg or Greenpoint (but then you're on the crappy L or G).

If you plan on staying in NYC for a long time, apply for the Mitchel Lama Developments (Limited Equity Co-ops, with waiting lists, regulated by the state to keep rent/maintainence low). There are a few with open wait lists on the Upper West Side and in Harlem (if you really need to be in Manhattan)

To Explore:

-Bronx: Parkchester, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Pelham Parkway
-Queens: Long Island City, Sunnyside, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Woodside (by the LIRR stop)
-Brooklyn: Kensington, Flatbush (west of Flatbush Avenue), Prospect Park South (Near Ocean Avenue) Greenpoint, Williamsburg, South Slope/Greenwood (15th street and up)
-Manhattan: Inwood, Upper East Side (70's/1st ave has large studios'/1 beds around 1500)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:30 AM

155 posts, read 349,903 times
Quote:
as in where? Long Island City?

We don't mind a small studio instead of a 1BR but we want to be at a nice neighborhood and great location obviously.
Perhaps the east village will also be worth looking into.

Thanks again for all the replies!
Long Island City seems to be a fit for you, but finding a studio for $1500 in the nicer areas of same may be a bit cumbersome. Most of them start in the $1800-2000 range.

There are a few private rentals in the area which may fit your budget, but I would stay south of the 59th St. Ed Koch Queensboro Simon And Garfunkel bridge.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:43 PM

9 posts, read 33,806 times
I will be working around TimesSquare & later also around the Flat Iron District.
So the 7, E or M trains would be a good option I guess.
We will be in NY for nearly a year so perhaps a year contract can get the price down too.
Thanks TheBoros & JoeyQueens for your replies!
Will explore the neighborhoods mentioned and look for studios on craigslist.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Just had a quick look at studios in the upper east side. Prices are good too. Not too close by the subway in most cases (around 5-8 blocks max). Why is it relatively cheap there (1300-1500)? because of rather poor subway?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Just had a quick look at studios in the upper east side. Prices are good too. Not too close by the subway in most cases (around 5-8 blocks max). Why is it relatively cheap there (1300-1500)? because of rather poor subway?
Exactly.. and most are walk-ups. Could also be East Harlem Posing as UES.

Rule of Thumb.. UES ends at 96th Street. PERIOD. Anything above is Spanish/East Harlem

Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM

I don't mind walk ups. as long as I am not on the 15th floor or so...
A little walk or bike commute to the subway I don't mind either I guess. Will be awesome to be so close to Central Park for biking and running.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I don't mind walk ups. as long as I am not on the 15th floor or so...
A little walk or bike commute to the subway I don't mind either I guess. Will be awesome to be so close to Central Park for biking and running.
If you are on the UES, most of the cheaper housing is closer to the East River Amenities. You'll most likely find yourself jogging or working out up and down the FDR parks vs. Central Park. Keep in mind that the second avenue subway is under construction on the East side, and will be for the next 5-10 years. That is also why it could be cheap (noise, dust, etc.)

Avenue Blocks (example: 1st to 2nd avenue) are about 4 street blocks long. So from 1st avenue to the subway, its actually 16 blocks. Keep that in mind for the walk from the train. You also have crosstown busses that can get you around town M86, M79, M96, M106, etc.

Most walk ups aren't more than 6 stories in NYC. You'll be good!

Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 PM

Where is second ave subway? From the 4,5,6 train you mean? that rides only over lexington and not 2nd ave right?
Good tip about avenue and street blocks. Seems logical but didn't think about it that way.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,828,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Exactly.. and most are walk-ups. Could also be East Harlem Posing as UES.

Rule of Thumb.. UES ends at 96th Street. PERIOD. Anything above is Spanish/East Harlem

This. I guarantee you that 98% of any studios you saw listed on the upper east side for that price are not.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM

215 posts, read 457,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
If you are on the UES, most of the cheaper housing is closer to the East River Amenities. You'll most likely find yourself jogging or working out up and down the FDR parks vs. Central Park. Keep in mind that the second avenue subway is under construction on the East side, and will be for the next 5-10 years. That is also why it could be cheap (noise, dust, etc.)

Avenue Blocks (example: 1st to 2nd avenue) are about 4 street blocks long. So from 1st avenue to the subway, its actually 16 blocks. Keep that in mind for the walk from the train. You also have crosstown busses that can get you around town M86, M79, M96, M106, etc.

Most walk ups aren't more than 6 stories in NYC. You'll be good!
4 street blocks long? You have definitely never been on UES.
They are usually shorter than 3 street blocks.

Subway on UES is very frequent, I would rate 4,5,6 as some of the best lines (except rush hour).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or