U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:00 PM

9 posts, read 33,791 times

Advertisements

Yeah I would go far below 96th street. Otherwise I could go on 106 as well.
But I saw studios for 1400-1500 around 70ies and 80ies streets and 1st or 2nd ave too. That would be nice. It was with broker fee though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM

343 posts, read 896,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMM View Post
4 street blocks long? You have definitely never been on UES.
They are usually shorter than 3 street blocks.

Subway on UES is very frequent, I would rate 4,5,6 as some of the best lines (except rush hour).
West of Lexington the blocks are shorter, pointing out that Madison/Fifth/Park are the closest together, but that's not where the cheap apartments are.

When you get over to 3rd/2nd/1st/York/East End/FDR, the blocks are longer. A Map will show you that. Sounds like you need to walk around!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM

20,147 posts, read 26,435,766 times
The numbered Avenues are ALL 3 STREET blocks apart both East and West. All you need do is mentally rename Park Avenue, FOURTH Avenue, and ignore Madison and Lexington. If really interested in the nitty gritty, Third to Lex is 1.5 blocks.

Thus from Third to Park Ave is equal to 40th Street to 43rd. Same with Park to Fifth.

There are 20 Street blocks to the mile and 6.7 Avenue blocks to the mile.

Manhattan is pretty sensibly laid out compared to the rest of the City.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM

4,158 posts, read 3,448,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasa View Post
Hi!

Me and my girlfriend (white europeans) will be moving from Europe to NYC very soon.
We are looking at a studio on E 106 between 1 and 2 ave.
Is that area, and the walk to the subway, safe for us / her alone?
We have been in NYC a couple of times before but have not yet lived there.
Any tips & thoughts are appreciated.
DONT MOVE THERE. 106th between 1st and 2nd is a "undesireable" behemoth. that block is filled with drug activity, day and night. not too long ago there was a shootout across the street on 1st avenue in broad daylight. people were running for their lives.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,527 times
how about 101st st and 1st ave? I'm looking at a studio there but I'm a girl and don't want to feel unsafe at night?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 AM

457 posts, read 511,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleigh505 View Post
how about 101st st and 1st ave? I'm looking at a studio there but I'm a girl and don't want to feel unsafe at night?
If you are asking this ? then you should not move to the area. Go visit the spot on a nice and sunny Friday and Saturday evening and night and then decide for yourself.

If you are average to hot then you will be catcalled 24/7 so if you can't handle that don't move there.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 PM

19 posts, read 38,307 times
if you can find a better deal in a lower crime area, then by all means do it. dont believe the 'Manhattan' hype. NYC has other boroughs too!

i have a friend who moved into a brownstone on pleasant avenue from the lower east side and is moving out next month because there are just things you see in some areas that you dont in others. i would try Queens nabes like sunnyside and LIC

we found this on wikipedia: "The neighborhood suffers from many social issues, such as the highest jobless rate in New York City, teenage pregnancy, AIDS, drug abuse, homelessness, and an Asthma rate 5 times the national average."

but if you find a really good deal, just cab it back and forth

Old 08-14-2012, 09:29 AM

555 posts, read 1,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It is not a very good place to live.
If you DO move in, make sure all your travels are by M106 BUS to the subway. The walk to Lexington a couple times a day is a drag and perhaps not too safe a drag. Do it 100 times and you might have probelms once or twice.

I have walked it a couple times during the day trying to scope out any shopping bargains and I didn't feel ill at ease but I am a 6'2 muscular guy. But a girl at night...????

Summary: I wouldn't live there.

KK....oh really Ok now I want to see pics from you in the 70s at a citydata meet up haha

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM

555 posts, read 1,001,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Just because areas look close to the business district, transportation can make them far. Follow advice about living on the same train line as you are working on. Where will you be working again?

When I used to live in Manhattan, I lived on the west side. It took me 15 minutes to walk to 8th Avenue from the river, to get the train. That's a lot of time. The bus was no faster.

Currently, It takes me 20-25 minutes to get downtown. And in my safe, Bronx neighborhood Pre-War Huge 3 bedrooms are going for $1600. But I own now, instead of renting so my opinion about the neighborhood can be slightly bias

A 1br in the East Village might be hard for $1500. You may want to look into Williamsburg or Greenpoint (but then you're on the crappy L or G).

If you plan on staying in NYC for a long time, apply for the Mitchel Lama Developments (Limited Equity Co-ops, with waiting lists, regulated by the state to keep rent/maintainence low). There are a few with open wait lists on the Upper West Side and in Harlem (if you really need to be in Manhattan)

To Explore:

-Bronx: Parkchester, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Pelham Parkway
-Queens: Long Island City, Sunnyside, Astoria, Jackson Heights, Woodside (by the LIRR stop)
-Brooklyn: Kensington, Flatbush (west of Flatbush Avenue), Prospect Park South (Near Ocean Avenue) Greenpoint, Williamsburg, South Slope/Greenwood (15th street and up)
-Manhattan: Inwood, Upper East Side (70's/1st ave has large studios'/1 beds around 1500)
been seriously considering a move there....just need some convincing..cough cough sobro cough cough

Old 08-15-2012, 04:57 PM

88 posts, read 222,828 times
Quote:
If you are average to hot then you will be catcalled 24/7 so if you can't handle that don't move there.
Hahah.. Your right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or