U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 33,788 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Me and my girlfriend (white europeans) will be moving from Europe to NYC very soon.
We are looking at a studio on E 106 between 1 and 2 ave.
Is that area, and the walk to the subway, safe for us / her alone?
We have been in NYC a couple of times before but have not yet lived there.
Any tips & thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM

4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
At the very least, prepare to have your girlfriend hollered at if she is at least half way decent looking.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM

8,389 posts, read 19,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlasa View Post
We are looking at a studio on E 106 between 1 and 2 ave. .......
Why ?

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM

@availableusername at the very least? meaning that at the most she'll be harassed?

@bluedog2 I got an opportunity to stay there and I am a little doubtful whether to take it or not.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM

4,911 posts, read 6,821,171 times
Quote:
@availableusername at the very least? meaning that at the most she'll be harassed?

At the very least she'll be verbally harassed, in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,253,492 times
Quote:
Hi!

Me and my girlfriend (white europeans) will be moving from Europe to NYC very soon.
We are looking at a studio on E 106 between 1 and 2 ave.
Is that area, and the walk to the subway, safe for us / her alone?
We have been in NYC a couple of times before but have not yet lived there.
Any tips & thoughts are appreciated.
Are you interested in the area because the price tag seems considerably cheaper and more affordable? There is a reason that it is cheaper, and it may not be the best or most convenient place that you should start to live, not being familiar with the city. What is your price range? Will you be working full time?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,860,810 times
Oh great, not one of these threads again......

Listen, do not move there. There are plenty of places in Brooklyn and Queens that will give both of you a far better quality of life for the same price, if not cheaper. Even places that are not that far from Manhattan.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 AM

20,144 posts, read 26,425,454 times
It is not a very good place to live.
If you DO move in, make sure all your travels are by M106 BUS to the subway. The walk to Lexington a couple times a day is a drag and perhaps not too safe a drag. Do it 100 times and you might have probelms once or twice.

I have walked it a couple times during the day trying to scope out any shopping bargains and I didn't feel ill at ease but I am a 6'2 muscular guy. But a girl at night...????

Summary: I wouldn't live there.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:35 AM

518 posts, read 1,343,425 times
This is a case where you both need to come here for a week and take an look at the place.

As a native NYer I have a tough skin, BUT when I briefly lived on 126 and Malcom X Blvd, even my tough skin was not able to withstand the DAILY sexual advances and public groping. Id say dont do it, esp if your girl is not accustomed to men coming up to her and being very aggressive.

I suggest you do some research before you plop yourself and worse, your GF into a situation you are probably not prepared for. NY is not cheap, and when it is, there is usually a reason,

Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Thanks for the reactions! I really appreciate it.
We hoped it was not that bad but apparently it is.
I have been in Harlem each time I was in NYC and had both nice and absolutely not nice experiences.
I am more concerned for my GF because and want her to feel safe and at ease, also when traveling around by herself.

Most probably we'll be there for a week or 2 and look for someplace else.
Any suggestions in (or very close by) Manhattan for around $ 1500 max?
We rather want a small studio at a perfect location than an 1 bedroom at a more remote location.

Thanks again for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or