U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:00 PM

460 posts, read 512,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Look at Obama, he has made it impossible dor oil companies to do business in the gulf.
Not just the Gulf! Obama's position on energy is very strange. He says oil prices are surging because of turmoil in the ME and it's not his fault (then why not drill here or approve the XL pipeline, both of which would lower energy prices?). He says there's no point to drilling here because our reserves are relatively tiny and couldn't possible fill our needs (a well-documented lie - our reserves are larger than Saudi Arabia's). He often praises his own drive for renewable energy subsidies, without mentioning the billions of dollars that have gone into failed companies (Solyndra being the most famous example), or giving any examples as to how his subsidies are paying off.

This is Obama's classic bait-and-switch... Claim you want one thing but do another when people aren't looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM

7,915 posts, read 6,498,851 times
Personally, I don't think Obama has any negative agenda in mind. The problem is that he's never held a real job, so doesn't know a lick about getting results. Ironically, OWS has the same problem.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,006,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Not just the Gulf! Obama's position on energy is very strange. He says oil prices are surging because of turmoil in the ME and it's not his fault (then why not drill here or approve the XL pipeline, both of which would lower energy prices?). He says there's no point to drilling here because our reserves are relatively tiny and couldn't possible fill our needs (a well-documented lie - our reserves are larger than Saudi Arabia's). He often praises his own drive for renewable energy subsidies, without mentioning the billions of dollars that have gone into failed companies (Solyndra being the most famous example), or giving any examples as to how his subsidies are paying off.

This is Obama's classic bait-and-switch... Claim you want one thing but do another when people aren't looking.
What is wrong with funding clean energy or renewable energy? Even if companies, or projects fail, its at least a step in the right direction. We should be cutting our military funding and increasing our funding of research. We spend more on our military then China, Russia, and the UN combined. Instead of researching ways to kill the most people, we should research ways for cars to run on something other than oil. If we could make efficient solar and electric cars Americans could cut their gas budgets and our country could cut its dependency on foreign oil. Nikola Tesla had tons of clean energy research back around the turn of the century, how come none of his technology was ever tested? Or if it was, how come that technology didn't make it public? We had technology at the beginning of the 1900's to collect energy from mother earth (lightning). How come this technology isn't employed now?

I support cutting spending by cutting the military budget. I feel that we're too involved in foreign affairs and just need to focus on defense of our borders. Our military budget is so bloated, that we could cut that budget alone, fund underfunded sectors of the government, and still pass on a savings to the American citizens.

If we really wanted to do something for the military, we'd push for Veteran hiring programs, veteran homeless shelters and counseling centers, and veteran benefits. People seem to forget that the expenses of war go beyond what expenses you pay upfront. Pensions and benefits have to be paid for our service people decades after the war is fought.

There's a need to protest in this country if people are letting the media fool them.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,311,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Personally, I don't think Obama has any negative agenda in mind. The problem is that he's never held a real job, so doesn't know a lick about getting results. Ironically, OWS has the same problem.
Congrats, that might be up there with some of the stupidest things I have seen posted on a forum.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:29 AM

Haha Urban, you've had quite the number of howlers, here's a sampling:

Quote:
This is a reaction of young people who are unhappy with the current situation of our country, who have also been hit very hard with debt and lack of opportunity.
Quote:
Which if the conduct is what bothers you the most, then you must also hate violence being used against protesters.
Quote:
The Tea Party's success could be thanked to the amount of money that the 1% pumped into it.
Quote:
I am pretty sure none of the camps would of broken up and left without being forced out.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM

Double

Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What is wrong with funding clean energy or renewable energy?
Because the funding achieves nothing scientifically and nothing environmentally. But it does line the pockets of politically-connected CEO's of pointless companies. In my opinion, government shouldn't be artificially propping up any industry with taxpayer money, green or not. Isn't this sort of thing perfect for an OWS protest?

Quote:
Nikola Tesla had tons of clean energy research back around the turn of the century, how come none of his technology was ever tested? Or if it was, how come that technology didn't make it public? We had technology at the beginning of the 1900's to collect energy from mother earth (lightning). How come this technology isn't employed now?
Because it wouldn't work: Lightning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I support cutting spending by cutting the military budget.
Me too! But why stop there? The military is only 14% of the budget. There's tons of bloat in our government that should be cut.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,006,364 times
Quote:
Because the funding achieves nothing scientifically and nothing environmentally. But it does line the pockets of politically-connected CEO's of pointless companies. In my opinion, government shouldn't be artificially propping up any industry with taxpayer money, green or not. Isn't this sort of thing perfect for an OWS protest?

Discovering a green way to generate energy could cut our costs as a country immensely. Finding more resourceful ways to power our cars, homes, and business could lower costs, improve the environment, and cut our dependence on foreign oil. There is absolutely nothing "pointless" about funding energy research.

We have some of the brightest minds in the world and all of our funding is going towards the military.

Because it wouldn't work: Lightning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dead wrong. Read about about this forgotten American Hero. He is the reason all of us have electricity. He is the reason for radio and the internet. He is a genius. There are many more in this country who just need financial backing. They would contribute more to society than individuals just looking to line their pockets.

Nikola Tesla - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tesla coil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In his masterful article The Problem of Increasing Human Energy, first published in Century Illustrated Magazine in June 1900, Tesla discusses the "energy situation" like never before. After discussing every known method of gathering energy from the Natural World, Tesla departs into the unknown. His first discussion is about a machine that can gather heat from the ambient air. He calls it a "Self-acting Engine" since it could run indefinitely from the solar energy stored in the air. He called it "the ideal way of obtaining motive power".

Tesla worked for years trying to solve all of the technical issues presented by the idea. His work with liquified air, his discovery of super-conductivity at ultra-low temperatures, his bladeless turbine and mechanical oscillator were all spin-offs from his work on the ambient air engine. He was convinced the system could work and that it was absolutely the best way to harness solar energy."

Free Energy | Nikola Tesla

Me too! But why stop there? The military is only 14% of the budget. There's tons of bloat in our government that should be cut.
The military is much more than 14%. Don't let the government lie to you.

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Federal Pie Chart

US Defense Budget: US Budget Breakdown for FY12 - Charts

15 Facts About Military Spending That Will Blow Your Mind

"America spends more on its military than the next 15 countries combined"

Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 AM

46,054 posts, read 28,311,395 times
Quote:
Haha Urban, you've had quite the number of howlers, here's a sampling:
Thank you, my true comments are quite the funny ones, isn't it grand when the wealthy take advantage of the country while people like you stand by supporting them for what they are doing, now that is really funny. Thank you for all the entertainment you have brought to the forum.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:16 AM

20,182 posts, read 26,506,670 times
Quote:
In my opinion, government shouldn't be artificially propping up any industry with taxpayer money, green or not. Isn't this sort of thing perfect for an OWS protest?
Does that extend to the immense, almost inconceivable amount of tax money funnelled into defense contractors...since 1939? If so, OWS protests it LOUDLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City