U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, NY
175 posts, read 136,373 times
Reputation: 251
15 minutes is up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2012, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY/Bayonne, NJ
30,126 posts, read 7,385,958 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
They are thinking that closing Oakland hurts Wall Street and not those who work there.

Do you really think the Goldman Sachs partners cared? More than the stevedores and others who lost pay?
Of course not, why would anyone expect someone who lives in a bubble to understand what is going on around them...I am sure Goldman Sachs and the rest of them are confused why anyone would be upset with them in the first place. They were only betting against the country with a problem they helped create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 994,459 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Of course not, why would anyone expect someone who lives in a bubble to understand what is going on around them...I am sure Goldman Sachs and the rest of them are confused why anyone would be upset with them in the first place. They were only betting against the country with a problem they helped create.
Exactly. So why does OWS think they can deprive the 99% of a living when their antics dont punish the 1%?

Their goals are laudible but their tactics are turning people off. They need to take a page from the Tea Party.

1. Have concrete and achievable goals.

2. Identify political candidates who believe in their agenda.

3. Sell this concept to the 99% so their candidates can actually win.


Dirty skinned trust fund kids howling, screaming and disrupting economic activity doesnt win them friends. After all when the economy is disrupted its the 99% who are hurt more.


BTW if any New Yorker thinks that we can destroy Wall Street and expect the City to survive is living in a bubble. We will not survive on jobs generated in retail, hospitality, education, health care and social services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY/Bayonne, NJ
30,126 posts, read 7,385,958 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Exactly. So why does OWS think they can deprive the 99% of a living when their antics dont punish the 1%?

Their goals are laudible but their tactics are turning people off. They need to take a page from the Tea Party.

1. Have concrete and achievable goals.

2. Identify political candidates who believe in their agenda.

3. Sell this concept to the 99% so their candidates can actually win.


Dirty skinned trust fund kids howling, screaming and disrupting economic activity doesnt win them friends. After all when the economy is disrupted its the 99% who are hurt more.


BTW if any New Yorker thinks that we can destroy Wall Street and expect the City to survive is living in a bubble. We will not survive on jobs generated in retail, hospitality, education, health care and social services.
Because the country as a whole hasn't gotten to the point of rioting and burning buildings to the ground...there is still plenty of people with hope that this will get better.

When it gets to the point people start losing hope, then you can really worry about what is coming next. It is in the best interest of the 1% to fi this before it gets worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
 
3,053 posts, read 2,741,055 times
Reputation: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yes, exactly. Occupy Wall Street doesn't like cold weather. You have to wonder if the 1% (or, for that matter, the 99%) takes note of this.
You make it sound like some awful character flaw that they didn't stay out in 30+ degree weather, sleeping on concrete, with the cops harassing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 07:06 PM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,584 posts, read 4,237,743 times
Reputation: 8923
I hope the occupy gang has done some thinking during the winter- and are ready to offer some solutions instead of crying out "the sytem is broken" - we all know that...what I want to know is how to fix it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown, Jersey City, NJ
326 posts, read 399,516 times
Reputation: 233
I can sympathize with the sentiment but I never clearly understood what exactly they wanted to achieve other than vaguely defined "dreamer" type demands. I worked in lower manhattan at the time and you would of never known anything was happening unless you specifically went to Zuccoti park. I did encounter them doing a march one time. It made it a little difficult to grab my afternoon coffee that day...

I think having some clear realistic goals would go a long way. I'm personally against the current trend of education inflation for example where even a janitor position requires a BA (exaggeration). I don't expect the 1% to owe me anything though which seemed to be the center of the argument from what I could tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 PM
 
3,746 posts, read 5,098,598 times
Reputation: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If Occupy flares up again around the elections (I'm sure it will), it will hurt the Dems more than the Republicans.
Gees, just like 1968. What a thing that would be on rerun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
 
3,746 posts, read 5,098,598 times
Reputation: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You make it sound like some awful character flaw that they didn't stay out in 30+ degree weather, sleeping on concrete, with the cops harassing them.
The occupy people here must have less character flaws: they stayed out and it was colder. No one was even harassing them. However, when a big annual Winterfest was to be in the city square they had "occupied", they didn't like the nice way the city had treated them all along, did not renegotiate the permit, and decided to overstay the welcome. They got kicked off city property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY/Bayonne, NJ
30,126 posts, read 7,385,958 times
Reputation: 4925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I can sympathize with the sentiment but I never clearly understood what exactly they wanted to achieve other than vaguely defined "dreamer" type demands. I worked in lower manhattan at the time and you would of never known anything was happening unless you specifically went to Zuccoti park. I did encounter them doing a march one time. It made it a little difficult to grab my afternoon coffee that day...

I think having some clear realistic goals would go a long way. I'm personally against the current trend of education inflation for example where even a janitor position requires a BA (exaggeration). I don't expect the 1% to owe me anything though which seemed to be the center of the argument from what I could tell.
But that is just how NYC is, something world changing could be happening on one block and you would never know on the next. But being someone who lives in a city far from Manhattan, what OWS was doing had a much stronger effect with people in other cities.

And the first stage is reaching out to people to see if there are people that support their movement, from there it depends on what the masses wish to do with it....only time will tell. And for all we know is this could be the first in long path of different movements that keep getting more and more intense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top