U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,450,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
If that were true why didn't they come back right away. Why wait for warmer weather if they're going to get the boot anyway?

I believe this.
Well then if you think they simply left because it was cold, then you are missing the point...and personally I am happy they didn't stick around for the winter and are hopefully moving onto the next stage of protests because I wouldn't of wanted to see anyone freezing to death.

Also, if you take away the tents and other methods that were being used to keep warm, then of course they are not going to come back until winter is over, so if none of those things were taken away, we would of probably had people camping their throughout the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

6,964 posts, read 5,493,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Yea! Like carry guns to the protest!

Tea Party protesters carried GUNS to a protest and still weren't demonized as much as the peaceful protesters.

The Tea Party pretty much controls Congress now. OWS never will unless they change. Folks tire of screaming kids with too much time on their hands.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

So the only lesson OWS could take from the TEA PARTY would be to enlist a few more BILLIONAIRES .

The Tea party has an agenda. You most likely dont beleive in it but you know exactly what it is.

Now what is the OWS agenda other than screaming "We are the 99%"? This will not fix the problem. A wealthy man, who encountered them on the UES, screamed at them...he could do what he wants because he is rich. So what does OWS plan to do about those with that attitude?

Unless and until OWS gains real political power they will remain a bore...of scant interest to most of the 99%, who most focus on survival and who have little time for juvenile antics.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:07 PM

661 posts, read 1,006,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The Tea Party pretty much controls Congress now. OWS never will unless they change. Folks tire of screaming kids with too much time on their hands.
Thanks for that laugh lol.

NO folks are tired of a small class of powerful sociopaths wrecking the global economy for their own benefit. The circus will continue until the bread run out and then its going to be on for real. That time is approaching

Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
Thanks for that laugh lol.

NO folks are tired of a small class of powerful sociopaths wrecking the global economy for their own benefit.

.......And they will continue to be tired of this group, but will do nothing to chnage this if they think that OWS and their antics will result in meaningful change.

I see it now. 20 ragged looking white kids hold up placards about "we are the 99%" and the whole military/industrial/financial/real estate global megalopies will crumble.

I hope you dont think so. I listen to Bloomberg. Which is way more moderate than CNBC. They find the whole OWS thing funny in the scant seconds that they chat about it. OWS protest dont even move the market.

In the meantime those 99% who have to support their families and who dont have time for time wasters will spend no time on OWS because OWS ha sno ability to improve their lives. Indeed screaming and ranting seems all OWS wants to do.

Pity because there are real problems which need to be solved.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,051,358 times
Quote:
.......And they will continue to be tired of this group, but will do nothing to chnage this if they think that OWS and their antics will result in meaningful change.

I see it now. 20 ragged looking white kids hold up placards about "we are the 99%" and the whole military/industrial/financial/real estate global megalopies will crumble.

I hope you dont think so. I listen to Bloomberg. Which is way more moderate than CNBC. They find the whole OWS thing funny in the scant seconds that they chat about it. OWS protest dont even move the market.

In the meantime those 99% who have to support their families and who dont have time for time wasters will spend no time on OWS because OWS ha sno ability to improve their lives. Indeed screaming and ranting seems all OWS wants to do.

May I ask you what should be done instead?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,450,070 times
Quote:

That is a shame, you don't have time to hold those accountable for getting rich betting against the country with problems they helped create. A good number of people on Wall Street should be sitting in federal jail for playing that kind of game with the economy.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,044,751 times
There are a lot of people walking the streets right now that should be in federal prison. Especially with regard to insider trading. I don't invest in the stock market for that very reason... because I'm not an 'insider'... therefore I'm getting screwed. How people can still continue to invest their hard-earned dollars into a system like that is beyond me. Until these guys start getting locked up my cash will stay at bay.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM

7,969 posts, read 6,549,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
How people can still continue to invest their hard-earned dollars into a system like that is beyond me.
It works for me, and I'm certainly nothing more than a working stiff, regular joe who makes rational, long-term decisions with his money. I've even been seeing returns again in the last few months. I invest in the stock market via three different vehicles and am very happy with all three. My only other "investment", my home, has definitely not performed at the same level.

For what its worth, the last three years have been exactly when you want to get into the stock market heavily. I've done nothing but raise my investment percentage in the last few years. When things start improving, I'll see a return on every share that was bought during the downturn.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
May I ask you what should be done instead?

I have already stated this. If OWS thinks that they can remain vague and not attempt to ensure representation in Congress then they are a waste of time. The USA isnt Greece and we do not like anarchists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City