Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Stop making excuses for these jackoff's.

OWSers are weak minded people who allowed themselves to be prey upon by a radical left wing group that desires to tear the Untied States as we know it apart.
Oh, so your saying they are just like the Tea Party people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 PM

458 posts, read 616,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
OWS won't have the tolerance of the people this time around.
Bingo. Hopefully it will give them a reality check.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Bingo. Hopefully it will give them a reality check.
Who are you and what do you do for a living? Why are you against a movement that would improve living conditions for the lower class and middle class?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:32 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Who are you and what do you do for a living? Why are you against a movement that would improve living conditions for the lower class and middle class?
This was my only major beef with OWS: they have co-opted "us" and if you're middle-class and don't agree with them, somehow you're working against yourself.

There's only one thing I agree with OWS on, but I doubt they truly would want to see what I want in practice: there should be NO outside money allowed in politics. ALL campaign funding should come from the government to ensure ZERO monetary influence (zero legal influence at least) on politicians. OWS says they want this, but I'd be interested to see what they actually mean by it. I'm sure they don't want money from Planned Parenthood, PETA, ACLU, ACORN, Soros', etc, out of politics. Not a single dollar of private/non-profit/PAC money should be involved in politics, period. I don't care who it comes from. I'm not even sure I'd agree with the candidate being able to use their own money.

Beyond this, OWS parts ways sharply with me. They are just another right or left group and that's not my politics. So whether I'm middle class or not, they do nothing for me and I can certainly choose to not support them whether they think they have my best interests in mind or not.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Dipsquats arguing that OWS is not a valid movement because its people don't like WINTER COLD is as idiotic as those who denigrated the movement becasue some of them carried I-pads.
KK, I think you're missing the point. I'll give you the ipad thing and any other argument along those lines. But, the weather thing is more relevant than you realize. Especially this winter, we had none. I have medical conditions that make me feel the cold much more and even I could have endured this winter if I truly believed in my cause.

Step out of the box for a minute and think - do you really believe this group has what it takes to implement any real change? It shows lack of any really strong heartfelt commitment when a little thing like weather sends you packing. They didn't even have enough organization to approach the cold weather issue by possibly standing strong in shifts. Whatever it took.

I think if they had persevered this winter they would have definitely gained a lot of respect from a lot of people. Most likely gaining more support from many. So, as petty as the weather issue may sound to you it really has a lot of relevance. If a little cold weather sends you home what are you going to do when the fight really gets tough?

Respect and credibility go a long way in attracting support.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
KK, I think you're missing the point. I'll give you the ipad thing and any other argument along those lines. But, the weather thing is more relevant than you realize. Especially this winter, we had none. I have medical conditions that make me feel the cold much more and even I could have endured this winter if I truly believed in my cause.

Step out of the box for a minute and think - do you really believe this group has what it takes to implement any real change? It shows lack of any really strong heartfelt commitment when a little thing like weather sends you packing. They didn't even have enough organization to approach the cold weather issue by possibly standing strong in shifts. Whatever it took.

I think if they had persevered this winter they would have definitely gained a lot of respect from a lot of people. Most likely gaining more support from many. So, as petty as the weather issue may sound to you it really has a lot of relevance. If a little cold weather sends you home what are you going to do when the fight really gets tough?

I think it does nothing to lessen their credibility. If they expose the political system and corporate system for what it is then they would've done their job. Once the people know what's going on and where the people are being exploited, things will start to get fixed.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,535,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I. Once the people know what's going on and where the people are being exploited, things will start to get fixed.

You are quite naive. There has long been the notion that the system of funding campaigns is broken. Yet we get the opposite. Super PACs funded by billionaires, this now being permitted by law. Why? Because they organized and got what they wanted.

That side has an agenda, organizations, and people to implement using the political system.

The other side screams "we are the 99%" and think all will be solved through protests and a vague agenda. This while having virtually no representation amongst those who make the laws.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM

288 posts, read 566,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post

I concur. Because, as we all know, arguments, pointing out certain facts, and demanding more accountability in politics is not what counts here. What counts is facing certain weather conditions. That's how you change society

Old 02-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You are quite naive. There has long been the notion that the system of funding campaigns is broken. Yet we get the opposite. Super PACs funded by billionaires, this now being permitted by law. Why? Because they organized and got what they wanted.

That side has an agenda, organizations, and people to implement using the political system.

The other side screams "we are the 99%" and think all will be solved through protests and a vague agenda. This while having virtually no representation amongst those who make the laws.
I don't think I'm that naive at all. I just don't think you understand how many Americans are living under or near the poverty line.

That's a huge voting populous that's just waiting to be told the truth. I think there's enough middle class households and even wealthy households to tip the scales in this movement.

The one thing money WONT be able to buy is votes if the people finally can bump party lines.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM

455 posts, read 651,656 times
I would not be surprised if the CIA was involved in this "movement."

Protesting in a park will not solve any human problems. The problem exist in human nature. We are greedy, power hungry, and afraid to lose anything. Humanity has to change its behavior towards each other and that will never or will be really slow to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City