U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 PM

7,910 posts, read 6,494,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
So should Vermin Supreme get the same funding as Barack Obama? How much would that be? $10 million for their entire campaigns? $100 million? $1 billion as Obama is doing? If not equal funding, what criteria should the government use to distribute money between the two and how could it avoid being absolutely unfair, corrupt, or wasteful?
Pretty simple: each candidate receives a pre-determined amount based on the position they are running for. House members have an amount, Senate, President, etc. And yes, they get the same amount. Not sure how corruption would be claimed when everyone gets the same amount. Obviously this would be an added expense, but the amount of corruption and influence peddling it would settle would more than make up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 03:34 PM

And term limits for the Senate and the House are an absolute must.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:54 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,045,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Absolutely! Two terms max for life, either consecutively or separately. Serving in the house or senate should be something that goes good on a resume when you return to the private sector. No compensation or free health care when you leave the job. In fact, while serving they shouldn't have the primo health care no one else can afford. A decent plan where they have to pay in to it, like the rest of us is fair enough.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:23 PM

Term limits would make such a huge difference because like the President, it would force other politicians to actually work to earn a "legacy". If you only have 8-16 years or so to create one, you have to work much harder than someone like Ted Kennedy who was able to stay long enough for people to forget a covered-up murder in his past.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM

46,054 posts, read 28,304,939 times
Quote:
I can't speak for yee8p, but if they stayed all winter long I would commend them for sticking it out but continue to consider them a bunch of ignorant fools.

But they weren't able to even stick out this particularly warm winter so I can't even commend them for at least trying. In other words, they fail on all counts and are deserving of the most withering of taunting by the 99%.
So you don't think the raid of the park, the closing it off and putting in checkpoints, and then searching anyone who looked like they might be there to protest had anything to do with it? I don't remember that going over smoothly when it happened....besides, at the time you look at what people were saying and everyone that was complaining about these camps were also complaining about them sticking around so long and that the cities weren't going in and just "kicking them out." So I think there is more to this that just "winter weather," but if you want to just look at that one thing, then I guess you can say they didn't "stick it out."

Personally I think the camp was a great idea for a while because it created a lasting awareness to a potential movement, and I hope that there has been some structuring within groups to begin putting pressure on candidates and voting blocks to begin pushing more specific agendas.

Also keep in mind that OWS is just another version of other movements that have all come and gone that haven't had as much of an effect, these things take time and do evolve over time. Who knows, maybe come November OWS could have a huge impact on the elections, or maybe in 2014 or 2016 when it could potentially have candidates running for positions. That is all hard to tell at this point and it all really depends on the mindset of the American people.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I have always liked this idea, probably one of the biggest mistakes that was made in our country when it was all being put together. I think it creates too many career politicians and not enough people who are simply doing it to serve their country.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM

460 posts, read 512,621 times
Quote:
Pretty simple: each candidate receives a pre-determined amount based on the position they are running for. House members have an amount, Senate, President, etc. And yes, they get the same amount. Not sure how corruption would be claimed when everyone gets the same amount. Obviously this would be an added expense, but the amount of corruption and influence peddling it would settle would more than make up for it.
How much per candidate/position? Are there limits for how many candidates are allowed or will the government just be handing out free $10 million packages to anyone who signs up for it? If there are limits how do we decide who gets in and who doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you don't think the raid of the park, the closing it off and putting in checkpoints, and then searching anyone who looked like they might be there to protest had anything to do with it?
I'm not sure what you're point is. I was only stating that OWS has been weak through this winter (practically non-existent). I was not commenting on the "raid" or police involvement.

But, if you want me to, I can. Before the raid, OWS proudly proclaimed that it didn't need the park - that the movement was too strong for any police "raid" to destroy it. Such statements were common (both on their website and from my personal experiences while visiting the park). So, the police raided the park and guess what!? Turns out they really, really needed the park...

The combination of having to forfeit a small park (plaza, rally) and blisteringly cold 40 degree weather has destroyed the movement. Pathetic, right?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
How much per candidate/position? Are there limits for how many candidates are allowed or will the government just be handing out free $10 million packages to anyone who signs up for it? If there are limits how do we decide who gets in and who doesn't?
The legislature would obviously have to work these questions out.

A very interesting proposition that has been tossed around before is using public radio and TV for campaigning with each candidate being allotted a certain amount of time for ads, speeches, etc.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:39 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,004,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you don't think the raid of the park, the closing it off and putting in checkpoints, and then searching anyone who looked like they might be there to protest had anything to do with it? I don't remember that going over smoothly when it happened....besides, at the time you look at what people were saying and everyone that was complaining about these camps were also complaining about them sticking around so long and that the cities weren't going in and just "kicking them out." So I think there is more to this that just "winter weather," but if you want to just look at that one thing, then I guess you can say they didn't "stick it out."

Personally I think the camp was a great idea for a while because it created a lasting awareness to a potential movement, and I hope that there has been some structuring within groups to begin putting pressure on candidates and voting blocks to begin pushing more specific agendas.

Also keep in mind that OWS is just another version of other movements that have all come and gone that haven't had as much of an effect, these things take time and do evolve over time. Who knows, maybe come November OWS could have a huge impact on the elections, or maybe in 2014 or 2016 when it could potentially have candidates running for positions. That is all hard to tell at this point and it all really depends on the mindset of the American people.
Best post I've seen all day.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're point is. I was only stating that OWS has been weak through this winter (practically non-existent). I was not commenting on the "raid" or police involvement.

But, if you want me to, I can. Before the raid, OWS proudly proclaimed that it didn't need the park - that the movement was too strong for any police "raid" to destroy it. Such statements were common (both on their website and from my personal experiences while visiting the park). So, the police raided the park and guess what!? Turns out they really, really needed the park...

The combination of having to forfeit a small park (plaza, rally) and blisteringly cold 40 degree weather has destroyed the movement. Pathetic, right?
Oh so no one is talking about OWS anymore? Or about income inequality? I think plenty of topics that were brought up are still live and well. Plus that is how things like this work, in tides and waves, that was just one wave and you are seeing a down period but as we draw closer to May and onward to November, during a major election year, I have a feeling you will see a resurging of things, so I don't see how you could consider that pathetic...but then, maybe I am just reading your posts wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City