Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:33 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Exactly. So why does OWS think they can deprive the 99% of a living when their antics dont punish the 1%?

Their goals are laudible but their tactics are turning people off. They need to take a page from the Tea Party.

1. Have concrete and achievable goals.

2. Identify political candidates who believe in their agenda.

3. Sell this concept to the 99% so their candidates can actually win.

Dirty skinned trust fund kids howling, screaming and disrupting economic activity doesnt win them friends. After all when the economy is disrupted its the 99% who are hurt more.

BTW if any New Yorker thinks that we can destroy Wall Street and expect the City to survive is living in a bubble. We will not survive on jobs generated in retail, hospitality, education, health care and social services.
Yea! Like carry guns to the protest!

Tea Party protesters carried GUNS to a protest and still weren't demonized as much as the peaceful protesters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I can sympathize with the sentiment but I never clearly understood what exactly they wanted to achieve other than vaguely defined "dreamer" type demands. I worked in lower manhattan at the time and you would of never known anything was happening unless you specifically went to Zuccoti park. I did encounter them doing a march one time. It made it a little difficult to grab my afternoon coffee that day...

I think having some clear realistic goals would go a long way. I'm personally against the current trend of education inflation for example where even a janitor position requires a BA (exaggeration). I don't expect the 1% to owe me anything though which seemed to be the center of the argument from what I could tell.
This is what happens if you protest tuition.

PEPPER SPRAY: UC Davis students 'maced' in Occupy protest - YouTube

Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
I hope the occupy gang has done some thinking during the winter- and are ready to offer some solutions instead of crying out "the sytem is broken" - we all know that...what I want to know is how to fix it.
I doubt it. You can count on hearing the same old rhetoric. You have to remember the a large number of the OWS people are also in the "Look at Me" crowd.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I doubt it. You can count on hearing the same old rhetoric. You have to remember the a large number of the OWS people are also in the "Look at Me" crowd.
And the rest are people who would be spending the day in the park whether there was a protest or not.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Completely aside from their politics or their agenda, how does Occupy Wall Street have any credibility remaining when the whole thing broke up as soon as the weather got cold? Now that springtime approaches, all of a sudden they're "regrouping." I didn't realize that protests had to be conducted according to the season.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Completely aside from their politics or their agenda, how does Occupy Wall Street have any credibility remaining when the whole thing broke up as soon as the weather got cold? Now that springtime approaches, all of a sudden they're "regrouping." I didn't realize that protests had to be conducted according to the season.
Some of it could have been done to prevent what posters on here are criticizing them on. Possibly they wanted to re-organize and re-focus after some of the violence. Things got pretty heated across the country due to the protest.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Some of it could have been done to prevent what posters on here are criticizing them on. Possibly they wanted to re-organize and re-focus after some of the violence. Things got pretty heated across the country due to the protest.
Come on man. Do you really believe this ? I believe it was the weather pure and simple.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Come on man. Do you really believe this ? I believe it was the weather pure and simple.
Not the police ordering that camps be dismantled? If cities hadn't of booted the protesters do you think they would've just left when it got cold?

They left because of the cold pure and simple?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
They need to take a page from the Tea Party.

There is a huge difference between a right wing demonstration supported by the wealthiest people in the country, with their police forces smiling upon them, with the very right ring media dutifully reporting every nuance, even AMPLIFYING the numbers and reporting what they are told to report and a GRASS ROOTS movement of those seeking redress from an oppressive government in league with the most powerful and wealthy forces of Kapitalism.

The TEA party was the ramblings of a few, paid for by the likes Murdoch and Koch whose singel goal was to keep taxes off the backs off the very rich allowing them to gain more and more and more power.

So the only lesson OWS could take from the TEA PARTY would be to enlist a few more BILLIONAIRES and media chains so that every time a dozen of them met it would be in every newpaper and every TV channel in America.

But the poor have only their bodies with which to battle their oppressors. It never works any differently ANYWHERE.

So where you have to look to You-Tube to see what OWS is up, you you needed only turn on CNN, NBC-GE, CBS-WESTINGHOUSE, FAUX-MURDOCH, CNBC-GE, MSNBC-GE to see the milling masses of a dozen people with placards on the nightly news.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Not the police ordering that camps be dismantled? If cities hadn't of booted the protesters do you think they would've just left when it got cold?
If that were true why didn't they come back right away. Why wait for warmer weather if they're going to get the boot anyway?

Quote:
They left because of the cold pure and simple?
I believe this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City