U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,056 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My friend and I are moving in closer into Manhattan to be able to make our commute easier and we've been shown some property. One of the places that we are looking at is at the corner of St. Nicholas and 159th street. It seems to be a little quiet up there and a little far, but any opinions on that area? Is it safe or are there things up there at all to do?

The second place that I seem to like a little more is a place to the east of Saint Nicholas Park, I believe somewhere around 7th and between 134th and 139th. Any ideas on this area as well? I really like that the park is right there and maybe it helps that there is a college there? I could be completely wrong though. Any honest opinions will help.

Just some quick information: my and my buddy are both guys, 23-24. Will we be okay if let's say one of us or both of us have to come back up via subway after a night out at like 2-3AM on the weekend? If you need more information let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
 
4,911 posts, read 6,819,883 times
Reputation: 4279
"The areas in question are amongst the safest in the tri-state area. The quality of life rivals any other part of manhattan with a significantly lower price tag. I think you'll find that this will be the best decision of your life and you will most likely settle there for years to come."


- NYC realtors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 04:18 PM
 
Location: NY,NY
2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Reputation: 2021
Are you looking to buy or rent.

Your thread title implies investment, only purchasers are interested in "property".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,056 times
Reputation: 10
Sorry for the confusion, but you're right jcoltrane. I meant for rental only, no purchasing. A year lease will probably be what will go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
 
2,853 posts, read 6,251,910 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
"The areas in question are amongst the safest in the tri-state area. The quality of life rivals any other part of manhattan with a significantly lower price tag. I think you'll find that this will be the best decision of your life and you will most likely settle there for years to come."


- NYC realtors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 AM
 
953 posts, read 1,169,423 times
Reputation: 770
The second place is a good area. Though you should eliminate any worries of being robbed or harassed by taking a cab instead of the train at 2am and later. Don't know why you would want to wait 30 minutes for the blue line to come anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
 
Location: NYC fulltime & Lewes, DE partime :)
35 posts, read 52,360 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
The second place is a good area. Though you should eliminate any worries of being robbed or harassed by taking a cab instead of the train at 2am and later. Don't know why you would want to wait 30 minutes for the blue line to come anyways.
The blue line , do you mean the A train?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Pelham Parkway,The Bronx
8,389 posts, read 19,623,816 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
The second place is a good area. Though you should eliminate any worries of being robbed or harassed by taking a cab instead of the train at 2am and later. Don't know why you would want to wait 30 minutes for the blue line to come anyways.
This is good to know. I had no idea you could eliminate any worry of being robbed or harassed simply by taking a cab after 2 am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,868 posts, read 4,040,896 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
The second place is a good area. Though you should eliminate any worries of being robbed or harassed by taking a cab instead of the train at 2am and later. Don't know why you would want to wait 30 minutes for the blue line to come anyways.
Are we in Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
 
343 posts, read 895,795 times
Reputation: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJwhatUP123 View Post
Hey everyone,

My friend and I are moving in closer into Manhattan to be able to make our commute easier and we've been shown some property. One of the places that we are looking at is at the corner of St. Nicholas and 159th street. It seems to be a little quiet up there and a little far, but any opinions on that area? Is it safe or are there things up there at all to do?

The second place that I seem to like a little more is a place to the east of Saint Nicholas Park, I believe somewhere around 7th and between 134th and 139th. Any ideas on this area as well? I really like that the park is right there and maybe it helps that there is a college there? I could be completely wrong though. Any honest opinions will help.

Just some quick information: my and my buddy are both guys, 23-24. Will we be okay if let's say one of us or both of us have to come back up via subway after a night out at like 2-3AM on the weekend? If you need more information let me know.
Honest Opinion, Don't Do IT,

Here's Why:

159th and St. Nick is the borderline of Harlem and Washington Heights. IT'S VERY LOUD over there. Lots of Uptown Street Culture to get use to, if you aren't hip. Expect to see open air Drug dealing are and you will be looking around your shoulder at all times. Summer time is the worst. It's quiet now.

There is a Starbucks, banks and groceries, pretty decent amenities along Broadway, and the closer you get to the Medical Center on 168th, the more amenities pop up.

Transit: The 163rd Street stop on the A/C is shady, and you will have to take the C Local. The A skips this stop most of the day. You also have the (1) at 157th Street which is more reliable IMO.


The second place:

The corridor of 130th-155th between Lenox Ave (Malcom X Blvd) and St. Niccholas are some of the roughest parts of harlem.

Lot's of open air dealing, its LOUD over there too, hanging out, quality of life bs (crackheads, drunks) and you've got Drew Hamilton and other smaller tenament style NYCHA buildings in the blocks on the 140's and 150's.

W.139th is a nice block (its land marked, Strivers Row) so if the apt is on that block, you're a winner. Otherwise, I'd Pass...

Rule of thumb: The further you go up into Harlem, the shadier it gets.

You have Amenities on 145th: Pathmark, NYSC, Starbucks, Banks, Smaller shops etc. On 7th Ave (Adam Clayton Powell), Fish Stores, Fast Food, etc. There are a few restaurants on 133rd/4th, an italian joint and an Ihop on 135th, Subway/ Duane Reade (drug store) etc.

Transit: You are sandwiched in the middle of the 7th Avenue/Broadway Line and the Central Park West Line (6th and 8th ave trains). At the 135th Street and St. Nicholas Staton, you have the (C) and (B), which are local Trains, so you'd want to transfer to an express at 125th Street (A) or (D).

At the Lenox and 135th Street Station, you have 2 express services to Midtown:
(2) and the (3) which at night is a 24 hour express from 42nd to 148th Street, so that would help coming home at 2 in the AM, vs. the (A) which will run local and stop at 135th (nights).

You can also take the (A) (D) express services at 145th street, if you are closer.

How much was the apartment you were looking at? I can guarantee there are safer neighborhoods with better amenities with the same price range, if not closer to your destination in manhattan than where you are looking at.

Last edited by TheBoros; 02-18-2012 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top