U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 1,999,483 times
Reputation: 562

Advertisements

The thing that ticks me off about this whole Jeremy Lin thing, is if he was on a Small Market team like Sacramento or Utah and did the exact same stuff as in NYC, this guy would still be an unknown and some little cute side piece or blurb would be done about him on ESPN or Yahoo Sports. The NBA might as well just have 10 teams and get rid of the Milwaukee's and Memphis's of the Basketball world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
It looks like it is. I don't really care for the dude, but at least, NY Knicks basketball is back.

Is there a particular reason why you don't care for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
 
902 posts, read 1,972,771 times
Reputation: 668
I'm lovin' it! I'm all for the underdog and minority such as Lin (although he's no longer an underdog).

Lin got me into it, I don't usually watch pro bb I like college bb but Lin has me watching.

I've never gone to a pro bb game in my life but this makes me want to buy a ticket to MSG and I will. I'll like to see and experience the Linsation in person.

OT: I might also try going to an Hockey game for the first time. Are African Americans well received at those games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
I'm lovin' it! I'm all for the underdog and minority such as Lin (although he's no longer an underdog).
Fuhgeddabout underdog. I can't remember the last time a Knick team took the court with not one, but TWO actual, viable rookies (Lin and Shumpert). It's almost too good to be true! Of course, James Dolan will take care of any optimism Knick fans might be feeling. He'll get rid of one or both of them, bring in another overpriced veteran, and saddle the team with Isiah Thomas in the front office again. That way, with an express ticket into the abyss in place, he can go back to whatever he was doing before.

Meanwhile, though, it's fun to be a Knick fan again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 PM
 
Location: NY/LA
3,079 posts, read 2,551,393 times
Reputation: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
The thing that ticks me off about this whole Jeremy Lin thing, is if he was on a Small Market team like Sacramento or Utah and did the exact same stuff as in NYC, this guy would still be an unknown and some little cute side piece or blurb would be done about him on ESPN or Yahoo Sports. The NBA might as well just have 10 teams and get rid of the Milwaukee's and Memphis's of the Basketball world.
I think it would be more than a blurb. This guy is a bigger underdog than tim tebow, and look at all the attention that story received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
 
643 posts, read 1,729,064 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Fuhgeddabout underdog. I can't remember the last time a Knick team took the court with not one, but TWO actual, viable rookies (Lin and Shumpert). It's almost too good to be true! Of course, James Dolan will take care of any optimism Knick fans might be feeling. He'll get rid of one or both of them, bring in another overpriced veteran, and saddle the team with Isiah Thomas in the front office again. That way, with an express ticket into the abyss in place, he can go back to whatever he was doing before.

Meanwhile, though, it's fun to be a Knick fan again.
It'll be fun when you can see them again on Time Warner. MSG contends you can switch but in most cases it's easier said than done. Plus with the exception of Cablevision, I'm sure any other provider will encounter this issue sometime in the future.

Representatives from both sides appeared on WFAN today and neither person came across well in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Eastchester, Bronx, NY
1,085 posts, read 1,903,147 times
Reputation: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1979 View Post
It'll be fun when you can see them again on Time Warner. MSG contends you can switch but in most cases it's easier said than done. Plus with the exception of Cablevision, I'm sure any other provider will encounter this issue sometime in the future.

Representatives from both sides appeared on WFAN today and neither person came across well in my opinion.
Dish Network has also been without MSG for the past year and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM
 
643 posts, read 1,729,064 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Dish Network has also been without MSG for the past year and a half.
That's why I'm leery of switching. I'll go to FIOS and their deal with MSG will run out.

The most annoying aspect and this is likely the league's TV rules being at fault here is that when Ranger and Knick games are on NHL and NBA TV, they are blacked out.

So while Time Warner can tout that customers are getting free previews of those channels, they're useless unless you care about watching non-NY games.

I like watching out of town games, but it's incredibly frustrating in instances such as Thursday when the Ranger game is on NHL network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I think it would be more than a blurb. This guy is a bigger underdog than tim tebow, and look at all the attention that story received.
One difference between Lin and Tebow might possibly be that Lin can play basketball. We still don't know if Tebow can play football--he was working a lot of magic with mirrors. He'd have more passes incomplete than complete during the game, but make a spectacular, hail-Mary-style pass to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and be touted as a hero. You had to know that sort of thing couldn't last, and when the Patriots squashed Denver 45-10, it should not have come as a surprise.

Lin, on the other hand, appears to be the real thing. At least for the moment. It remains to be seen whether A) he continues to get the opportunity to play, and B) he can perform with consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM
 
3,336 posts, read 3,127,262 times
Reputation: 2337
How well Lin will do in the future depends very much on the other coaches.

Once they see that Lin is a threat to their team's victory, they will assign the best/dirties defenders to guard him, and it will be time to see how Lin survives.

Right now, in my observation, Lin is still at loose on the court.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One difference between Lin and Tebow might possibly be that Lin can play basketball. We still don't know if Tebow can play football--he was working a lot of magic with mirrors. He'd have more passes incomplete than complete during the game, but make a spectacular, hail-Mary-style pass to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and be touted as a hero. You had to know that sort of thing couldn't last, and when the Patriots squashed Denver 45-10, it should not have come as a surprise.

Lin, on the other hand, appears to be the real thing. At least for the moment. It remains to be seen whether A) he continues to get the opportunity to play, and B) he can perform with consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top