U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,426,743 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Long Island and worked in NYC from my early twenties on and lived here for much of my 20s and 30s. I spent about 5 years on the West Coast, but couldn't stand being away and came back last year. We can't afford to buy a home in the city, so we won't live here, but I'll work here for as long as I can. I don't foresee ever being a resident again, because my husband hates Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 06:15 AM

20,169 posts, read 26,469,688 times
I got my driver's license at 16 and that first week drove from Pennsylvania to New York City. I KNEW from that trip I would soon get here...I did.
I often said that if I lived in NYC, I would not need to take a vacation, it's all here. That initial assessment was correct.
I like the City very much, always have.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:55 AM

75 posts, read 123,448 times
I was originally from Manhattan, raised in Jackson Heights Queens and now live in Staten Island. I have worked and lived in every borough except the Bronx. Husband and I both work for NYC. STUCK HERE. I'll die here. I'm a true blue New Yorker I can say that. We wanted to move South, but just can't due to work.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 AM

509 posts, read 2,064,278 times
I will say this: There is no place in the US (maybe the world) that is a better place to be in if you're young and energetic. The feeling you get in NYC those first couple years where you're just walking down the street on any old day and you realize where you are are so unique and wonderful. I've never felt that in any other city.

BUT...I think that feeling goes away. Eventually it is just the place you live and work and it's easy to take for granted that you have some of the best restaurants, culture, architecture, everything really, at your fingertips. You walk by it on the way to work and think little of it.

It is difficult to live here, probably more so than anywhere else in the US. It's a matter of pride to make it here but at the same time it's tempting to go somewhere else and have it easier, have a yard, etc. I came to NYC because I wanted to be here but I will probably stay here because it's what I'm used to now and I can't imagine living elsewhere. Sure, it would be nice to have that big house and the yard in some place like Dallas but after that novelty wears off I'd realize that I'm not in NYC anymore. In fact, the challenge of living here is probably part of the appeal in some masochistic way.

I'm considering moving to Jersey City or Hoboken now to buy a place and even though it's one mile across the river in a way it's STILL difficult to make that move because it's not NYC. Sure, it'll be closer to my job in Manhattan than it is from my place that is actually IN Manhattan but I'm still not sure it'll be the same.

I think the best test for how you feel about NYC really comes when you consider leaving it. (Even if it is only a 9 minute ride on the PATH train to get back to it.)

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM

51 posts, read 100,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I got my driver's license at 16 and that first week drove from Pennsylvania to New York City. I KNEW from that trip I would soon get here...I did.
I often said that if I lived in NYC, I would not need to take a vacation, it's all here. That initial assessment was correct.
I like the City very much, always have.
Nice.
Why did you think that you would not need to take a vacation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcon0 View Post
I will say this: There is no place in the US (maybe the world) that is a better place to be in if you're young and energetic. The feeling you get in NYC those first couple years where you're just walking down the street on any old day and you realize where you are are so unique and wonderful. I've never felt that in any other city.

BUT...I think that feeling goes away. Eventually it is just the place you live and work and it's easy to take for granted that you have some of the best restaurants, culture, architecture, everything really, at your fingertips. You walk by it on the way to work and think little of it.

It is difficult to live here, probably more so than anywhere else in the US. It's a matter of pride to make it here but at the same time it's tempting to go somewhere else and have it easier, have a yard, etc. I came to NYC because I wanted to be here but I will probably stay here because it's what I'm used to now and I can't imagine living elsewhere. Sure, it would be nice to have that big house and the yard in some place like Dallas but after that novelty wears off I'd realize that I'm not in NYC anymore. In fact, the challenge of living here is probably part of the appeal in some masochistic way.

I'm considering moving to Jersey City or Hoboken now to buy a place and even though it's one mile across the river in a way it's STILL difficult to make that move because it's not NYC. Sure, it'll be closer to my job in Manhattan than it is from my place that is actually IN Manhattan but I'm still not sure it'll be the same.

I think the best test for how you feel about NYC really comes when you consider leaving it. (Even if it is only a 9 minute ride on the PATH train to get back to it.)
That is what people tell me all the time when I express to them the desire to live in NYC. They say that it will get boring after a while, and I'd just want to leave.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 4,676,391 times
I was convinced that I would be over NYC and ready to settle down someplace quiet by the time I was 30. I could not have been more wrong. There are ALWAYS new things to see, do, and eat in NYC.

Yes, there were times when I flirted with other cities. But I never got past looking at job listings and real estate online. I remember once complaining about some random city noise and telling my husband I wanted to move to the burbs for some quiet when he reminded me about lawn mowers and leaf/snow blowers. Oh right.

There is always a trade-off.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 PM

6,043 posts, read 6,089,208 times
I'd never even been to New York until I was 28, having gone to visit a relative who'd recently moved from Florida to Brooklyn at the time. I'd always had a vague, almost subconscious notion it was my kind of place. I'd just never found the time/money/good enough excuse to go until that point. You're either "that guy" (or gal) that is drawn to the hustle and bustle, or you're the type to be mostly content living wherever you happen live and making what you can of life there. Most people I've known for a long time apparently get whatever they need from the places they grew up in or randomly landed in, because most of them would never seriously entertain the idea of living in New York City. Or maybe they havent had the opportunities to expand their horizons much and don't know what they're missing. Hard to say.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM

7,908 posts, read 6,488,354 times
Interesting that most of the people in this thread who say they will never leave NY weren't born and raised here. This is not meant as a knock; I feel that this may be an important observation. What exactly is it about being born and raised here that makes one more apt to want to leave, while people who come later in life tend to feel as if they found their only possibly "home"?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Status: "I have "a thing" for duplex apartments" (set 14 hours ago)

19,275 posts, read 32,742,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Interesting that most of the people in this thread who say they will never leave NY weren't born and raised here. This is not meant as a knock; I feel that this may be an important observation. What exactly is it about being born and raised here that makes one more apt to want to leave, while people who come later in life tend to feel as if they found their only possibly "home"?
This is a wild guess but most people who feel that way were born and raised in suburban areas. Lets face it the only other city in the USA that rivals NYC is LA. Everything else is sub-par when it comes to world class standards. LA is the gateway to Asia, NYC is the gateway to Europe from a traveling standpoint. To be honest, I've never been to the West Coast, so my opinion might change when I eventually get to LA, but London (been there twice) was the first and only place so far that I could see myself living besides NYC. And I'm a die-hard Brooklyn born Knicks fan New Yorker.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-22-2012, 09:15 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,996,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesthetic_Mess View Post
That is what people tell me all the time when I express to them the desire to live in NYC. They say that it will get boring after a while, and I'd just want to leave.
I will say this, If you spend all of your time confined on one Island (Manhattan) I'm sure after a while It will seem like you've done everything. I would say take the whole city in and truly explore this place. It's something new always happening. It'll also depend on your crowd you'll hang out with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
For me I was born and raised in Brooklyn but after exploring other cities I have no desire to live elsewhere (I lived in Atlanta for 2 Years during high school too). I think sometimes, the people who were born here and ready to go, probably never left for an extended amount of time. As native New Yorkers we don't look at everything the same. We pass the Empire State Building like "Whatever". We hardly, if ever, walk across the bridges or travel outside our norms. It's just in our nature. Certain things we'd never do just because we fell we don't have to. But when you leave, you eventually come to that realization no other place (especially in America) comes close to touching your hometown. I too love this place not because I'm a native, but because I look at it from a different perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is a wild guess but most people who feel that way were born and raised in suburban areas. Lets face it the only other city in the USA that rivals NYC is LA. Everything else is sub-par when it comes to world class standards. LA is the gateway to Asia, NYC is the gateway to Europe from a traveling standpoint. To be honest, I've never been to the West Coast, so my opinion might change when I eventually get to LA, but London (been there twice) was the first and only place so far that I could see myself living besides NYC. And I'm a die-hard Brooklyn born Knicks fan New Yorker.
I'm going to London later on this year, but I can already tell besides New York, I could see myself in London. I always say that's my 2nd City even though I haven't been yet. LA was just . . . well you'll see when you get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City