U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM

10 posts, read 11,818 times

Advertisements

-Don't worry about grocery stores being in close proximity to your place. Everything is much closer than you think. Remember, subway.

-The monthly pass metrocard for $104 used to be something I'd recommend, but they just raised it to $112. Work out how often you take it prior to buying one. Do NOT lose it. The MTA WILL try to ********* over or at least wait 6 weeks before refunding less than half of what you used.

-If a mariachi band gets on your car in the morning, act natural. Remember the old ambien commercial with the guy in his kitchen eating cereal with abe lincoln and a beaver? That's kind of how it works... only that beaver has an accordion and abe is wearing 8 inch platforms around soho waiting to be spotted by some fashion photographer.

-If you think you already walk fast, double it and keep right.

-KEEP RIGHT.

-Let others exit subway cars prior to getting on. Also, people typically line up along the sides.

-Times square today is like a crusty disneyland. A crusty disneyland with three stoned mickeys, cash4gold shops, "designer" clothing, even slower walkers... and it actually used to be a sex district. Many of those theatres used to host adult films.

I'll add more later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,934,737 times
Also you can try this out I hired a college kid to be my seeing dog to show me around the city. He show me everything from riding the subway to where to get cheap food and store to shop at in the area I first lived in there in the city

Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 PM

11,184 posts, read 6,357,482 times
My number one tip to anyone moving to Manhattan would be to do your homework and pick an apartment that meets your needs. Don't skimp. When I moved there I valued a quiet neighborhood apartment with a W/D in the apartment and close proximity to a park in order to exercise my dog.

Quality of life matters more than most people realize until they move in a place and realize a firehouse or loud bar is next door...just look at all the posts from New Yorkers about noisy, inconsiderate neighbors.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:07 PM

89 posts, read 110,549 times
Never, EVER get in an argument/fight with someone on a subway over a seat, or anything. Simply apologize and move away from them. People willing to fight with you in a public space are generally nuts and can cause you harm. It's not worth taking the chance.

Lower floor apartments are generally cheaper for a reason. Avoid it if you can.

Nothing will tag you as a newbie faster than thinking of NYC as mid-town Manhattan or JUST Manhattan. The sooner you start thinking of the city as a whole, the sooner you'll start really enjoying it for all it's worth. Ps. There is life above 96th Street.

And most important - know your parks. Your nearest park (providing it's relatively safe), will save you in the sweat bath known as July and August. And for goodness sake, know how to get to a beach via public transport. Trust me on this one. It will make all the difference for you come summer time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or