Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 AM

18 posts, read 27,027 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm moving to NYC in about 6 months (probably the UES) and I'm looking for some basic tips on living in the city. The first 18 years of my life were spent living rural on a farm, and the last 6 have been spent in suburbia, so this will be a new experience for me.

I was in Paris recently and saw many people carting their groceries in little grocery bag carts. As someone who as always relied on a car to go to and from the grocery store, it made me realize that there are things about living in the city that I don't know yet and will need to learn.

If anyone has any advice, especially if you moved to the city after being a "country bumpkin" or suburbanite, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
If you're waiting for a subway train and one pulls in packed like sardines except for one empty car that just has a single occupant, do not get in that car.
Squeeze in one of the crowded ones.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
If you're waiting for a subway train and one pulls in packed like sardines except for one empty car that just has a single occupant, do not get in that car.
Squeeze in one of the crowded ones.
LOL. A lesson you do NOT want to learn the hard way.

Get out of the habit of buying stuff in bulk. Enjoy the fact that you can stop by on your way home from work and conveniently pick up fresh vegetables etc etc from a shop on the way home. You don't have to pack up your apartment with enough food to last you till your next trip to the store.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Look both ways before crossing the streets.

There are way too many salmon* out there.

*A bicyclist riding against traffic.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceb View Post
Hello all,

I'm moving to NYC in about 6 months (probably the UES) and I'm looking for some basic tips on living in the city. The first 18 years of my life were spent living rural on a farm, and the last 6 have been spent in suburbia, so this will be a new experience for me.

I was in Paris recently and saw many people carting their groceries in little grocery bag carts. As someone who as always relied on a car to go to and from the grocery store, it made me realize that there are things about living in the city that I don't know yet and will need to learn.

If anyone has any advice, especially if you moved to the city after being a "country bumpkin" or suburbanite, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
1. Shop wholesale club or preferably, Chinatown (cheeeeap) for Fruits and Vegetables (Stock up for a week, bring a pull cart). We NY'kers schlep our groceries.
2. Learn your subway/bus, find the easiest way to where you are going. Its the (4,5,6) not the Green Line. And always have your metrocard full and practice swiping and dipping. Don't stare at people on the train. Polite eye contact with a smile is ok.
3. When moving around the city, travel as light as possible. No bulk bags or purses unless you need it for shopping. Wear comfortable shoes, incase you have to run (from someone or for something)
4. Find Neighborhoods that have everything you need and shop there.
5. Smile, walk briskly, so people don't get mad at you. Don't stand in the middle of the street texting or something...
6. Get A Zipcar membership (zipcar.com). Helps when you need a car at the drop of a dime.
7. Walk on the right side of the street. (so others pass as they walk to the right in the opposite direction) Helps in Midtown, and other busy sidewalk corridors
8. Keep keys in your hand when approaching your house
9. Always carry small bills over large. Not every business will make change, or take cards. (especially good mom and pop stores)
10. Network, Network, Network!
11. Find a great happy hour for cheap eats and drinks, to save $$
12. Once you get your daily flow, you'll feel like a NYker in no time.

I'll think of more.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Have you visited before? I would say visit before putting down money to move here. It's not for everyone, especially if you are used to more rural surroundings.

For day to day living, the unwritten rule of getting around (in and out of the subway) is to stay to the right. However not everyone follows this rule. >

Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Look both ways before crossing the streets.

There are way too many salmon* out there.

*A bicyclist riding against traffic.

THIS, is a very good point. Even though you know its a one way road, look both ways. I'm guilty of riding my bike down the wrong way and almost hitting a pedestrian. Just so happened to be a brief shortcut that almost ended bad.

I also recommend visiting the area before throwing down money for the move, or trying to sublet, it isn't for everyone, and the space you are going to have is going to likely be a lot smaller than you're used to.

And check groupon or living social if you want to save a few bucks. There are constantly good deals in NYC for good food and good prices.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 AM

49 posts, read 100,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
8. Keep keys in your hand when approaching your house
May I ask why is this?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:12 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Make sure you add doing laundry to your budget. I'm guessing you have never used shared facilities. Make sure you are there to take your stuff out of the machines before someone else does. And don't put your dirty clothes on the folding area.

Definitely buy a "granny" cart - I think it's worth it to spend a bit more on one with swivel wheels, but a cheapy from a neighborhood store will do fine.

Figure out which local landmarks (buildings, waterfronts, bridges, elevated tracks, billboards, etc.) denote north/south/east/west for you in the neighborhoods you travel to most often.

As previously posted, always carry some cash. NYC is not as credit card driven as the suburbs.

Know that most mom and pops, small delis/coffee shops, and such have unwritten systems. Try to learn as quickly as possible how the line works.

Be easy on yourself. It takes some time to learn the culture. A smile and an apology for not knowing the ropes will take you far.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:21 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel de Silverlake View Post
May I ask why is this?
You want to be able to get into your residence as soon as possible. Rain, Snow, or Robber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: