U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,784,443 times

Advertisements

This is a notorious jail in the history of NYC. Many rappers claim to have spent time there as kids. I've read old NYT articles about kids escaping and committing suicide. Have you heard anything about there growing up in NYC?

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 02-15-2012 at 02:24 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM

5,473 posts, read 9,252,854 times
There's the legend that some Muslim kids were forced to eat pork while the guards laughed.
Sexual abuse? Probably also involved which is common in many of these institutions for boys.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-15-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,639,894 times
So this is being billed as a "Notorious jail in NYC" and the example you give for this jail is a "Legend" that a muslim kid had to eat pork while the guards laughed? Really? The horror! I am sure they inflicted other torture such as making lactose intolerant kids eat ice cream, and made them eat their broccoli without any butter or salt.

Sign me up....I guess jail ain't so bad after all.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:38 PM

155 posts, read 351,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
and made them eat their broccoli without any butter or salt.

That is just plain heresy, my friend.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
So this is being billed as a "Notorious jail in NYC" and the example you give for this jail is a "Legend" that a muslim kid had to eat pork while the guards laughed? Really? The horror! I am sure they inflicted other torture such as making lactose intolerant kids eat ice cream, and made them eat their broccoli without any butter or salt.

When your bowels are assaulted at Lincoln Hospitals psych ward I'm sure you gonna run back to Mott Haven and share your horrors with your tenants and the entire community.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Why are we talking about Lincoln Hospital now? I thought we were talking about Spofford? I would not walk into that hospital for a simple headache, and any ambulance picking me up will take me to Mount Sinai otherwise I won't be getting in. If I am forced to Lincoln because I am unconscious or unable to communicate for some reason, assuming I survive until I awake or can communicate, I will demand and get a transfer out.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM

400 posts, read 837,312 times
Spofford... You had better get your mind into a fighting mentality while your on the bus ride there because once you get in there 8 +/-1 out of 10 times your going to have to fight on the spot.

Real lord of the flies type of mentality in there. The same thing goes for C-74 on Rikers island.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Yes, they inflicted. I said in my first post that sexual abuse probably happened against boys. But the fact is that correction officers allowed boys to rape girls.

From the link, In my one month at Spofford, three different girls told me they were raped by boys who corrections officers allowed to go into their cells Just Detention International

Spofford Juvenile Detention Center was closed in 2011.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM

This happens at all of these places...and happens in the public domain also...or haven't you ever heard of cops raping women? Are you also going to enlighten me about how prison guards beat up inmates? Or how about how prison guards unfairly treat prisoners they don't like? All of this happens in the real world, and is exacerbated in these kinds of environments.

In reference to this specific article, one has to wonder why this person was repeatedly incarcerated over the course of so many years....weird huh? Based on their initial horrible experience, one would think that they would do whatever they could to never return to a prison or detention center, yet they kept going back over and over again.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,784,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Yes, they inflicted. I said in my first post that sexual abuse probably happened against boys. But the fact is that correction officers allowed boys to rape girls.

From the link, In my one month at Spofford, three different girls told me they were raped by boys who corrections officers allowed to go into their cells Just Detention International

Spofford Juvenile Detention Center was closed in 2011.
You spent time there or you worked there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City