U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 11,236 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My daughter needs to go to Kindergarten in harlem and I have the following schools in shortlist. They are either charter or catholic schools who don't charge ridiculous fees like some private schools. However, the reviews on greatschools seem to be pretty much even for most of the schools on my list.

Does anyone have any advise for/against any of the following schools?

St. Marks Evangelist School
Ascension School
Harlem Success*school
KIPP Infinity Charter School
New York French American Charter School
Future Leaders Institute Charter School
Corpus Christi School
St Rose of Lima
Our Lady Of Lourdes School
St Charles Borromeo Rc School
Harbor Sciences and Arts Charter School
Our Lady Queen Of Angels School
St Ann's School
The Sisulu-Walker Charter School of Harlem
St. Aloysius School

I need to shorten this list so which schools do you think can drop from this list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 AM

1,413 posts, read 4,681,395 times
You should ask parents in your neighborhood if there is a local listserv. If you don't know anyone, check yahoo groups. I know there are several active neighborhood-specific groups, but I don't know if there is one for Harlem.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 AM

91 posts, read 269,513 times
Of the charter schools mentioned on your list, the only one I would recommend would be KIPP Infinity. However, entrance into KIPP schools is based on lottery and you will not find out until the beginning of April whether your child gets accepted or not.

If not, then stick to the Catholic schools on your list. I am not too familiar with these, but have heard good things about St. Aloysius School and St. Marks Evangelist School.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM

75 posts, read 123,642 times
I just put my children in Catholic school this year for the first time in another borough but also the NY Diocese. What they are teaching them in school in addition to academics is what I wanted for my girls. They are learning what empathy is, kindness, our religion in addition to academics. I worked in a charter school here in NYC for 2 years and would never send my children to one.
Best of Luck in your decision.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM

4,143 posts, read 5,970,967 times
You can check the insideschools.org website for an independant outsiders view on any of the public or charter schools on your list. Their take is not definitive, but it will give you a rough idea about those schools and which ones you might want to check out more closely.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:47 PM

334 posts, read 928,384 times
I've heard good things about Corpus Christi. For what it's worth, most people would call that neighborhood (121st St and Bway) Morningside Heights rather than Harlem.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 11,236 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City