U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,366 times

Advertisements

Im graduating college in May with a degree in French. I began an initial teaching certification program, but was unable to complete it. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on teaching careers.. i was thinking about doing my masters in ESL or french education.. I love kids and i would be interested in any other careers involving them, preferably a city job.. Im just so close to graduation and I have no idea what I'm going to do! Any advice would be helpful-- thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 06:40 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,603,833 times
You probably won't be able to afford an apartment in the city on your starting salary.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 AM

91 posts, read 269,175 times
To be honest with you, certification in second languages is not in high demand in NYC schools. In fact, when budget cuts loom, those teaching jobs are the first to be cut off. So as I result, I would NOT recommend getting the masters in French. I definitely recommend going the ESL route as that is more in demand right now.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM

81 posts, read 141,152 times
Yes I am a teacher in NYC public schools and there is a much larger demand for ESL than for foreign language. If you could somehow manage to become certified in bilingual French education (either in addition to or instead of the others), I would imagine that might help you as well, I know in my school there is an under served Haitian and African community that need bilingual/ESL services but most offered are for Spanish natives not for French. With the right population it could be an asset.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM

7,574 posts, read 8,000,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou1 View Post
Im graduating college in May with a degree in French. I began an initial teaching certification program, but was unable to complete it. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on teaching careers.. i was thinking about doing my masters in ESL or french education.. I love kids and i would be interested in any other careers involving them, preferably a city job.. Im just so close to graduation and I have no idea what I'm going to do! Any advice would be helpful-- thank you!!
It's going to be rough. French has been scaled back for years in the schools, even with the increase in the Haitian population. You could try the lycee in Manhattan. There is a blilingual French school in Westchester or there used to be. I had a friend who was a French major and he mangaged to get an entry level job with one of the French banks in Manhattan. If you want to be a public school foreign language teacher, you will need at least another certification in another language. Usually it's Spanish, but it's common to have certification in French/Spanish/Italian. If you want to move, there is a French bilingual public school in one of the school systems in a suburb near Boston. It would be helpful if you have native fluency. Most of your competition will have it. Bonne chance!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM

400 posts, read 833,429 times
If its still not too late you could always change your major to quantum physics, they're are always jobs available in that field.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,366 times
Thank you so much for your insights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City