U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,596 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.... soon I'll be moving from South Florida. I narrowed it down between Staten Island, walking distance/close to Ferry Terminal -or- Queens somewhere along the 7 train line(also walking distance to/from)... For ease of getting into & out of Manhattan for work. I'll also be looking to rent a room inside a house or apartment.... as I won't be able to afford a place on my own just yet. I've read that the area around the Ferry Terminals is undesirable but, that's just what I read. I'm looking for any advice or suggestions that anyone may be able to offer me & I greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 06:22 PM

343 posts, read 917,424 times
Why Staten Island? There isn't much to do there, and by St. George is not a great place after dark.

Where are you working? The only reason to live in SI, is if you are woring there or Downtown Manhattan.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 PM

8,626 posts, read 7,053,500 times
If you want more info about SI, PM me. Speaking openly about SI just leads to more posts like the above.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,613,693 times
All things being equal, I'd say go for Queens (and this is coming from somebody who lives on SI). From a commuting perspective, Queens is easier to get to. For Staten Island, the ferry doesn't run too frequently (Every 15-20 minutes during rush hours, 30 minutes off-peak, and 60 minutes at night)

What you could do is live near the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge. You have the option of taking a bus to Brooklyn and then taking the (R), but even then, it's probably a harder commute than taking the (7) because the (R) doesn't run that frequently, and you have to make a transfer to a bus to boot.

You can also take the express bus. It's $50 a week, and you're guaranteed a (relatively) comfortable seat. Service during rush hour is great: A bus every few minutes. In the area by the bridge, off-peak service is decent as well (except for late in the evenings), so that's one area to consider. Look in the Arrochar/Grasmere/South Beach area.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:56 PM

880 posts, read 1,729,546 times
Staten Island is definitely not the best place to live in, especially since you're commuting back and forth to Manhattan, you're going to have to rely on unreliable buses and the ferries that run every 30 min...not a very good idea. However, Queens does have good transportation but the 7 is a horrible train, especially if you're an attractive female. There's just so much overcrowding on the 7.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 AM

5,507 posts, read 5,700,621 times
If your intention is to commute from SI to Manhattan for work, play or whatever on a regular basis, I would advise you not to do it.

The only way you'll be happy in SI is if youre simply happy doing most of your living in SI, and many people are--especially those in South Shore. But using it as a hub for easy access to Manhattan is a major mistake.

As for St. George the area is OK. Some blocks are nice, others not so nice. But there is A LOT of low income/ high crime areas around the 120 precinct (the 120 is across the street from the Ferry terminal), in both directions from Stapleton down Richmond Terrace to Manors Harbor. It's an area that is a very ignored part of the city and seems to be one of the very few places in NYC completely untouched by gentrification. Once you take your first trip down Richmond Terrace youll notice things to have that "Terminator" look at the beginning of the movie as if WWIII were going on. The only benefit to SI is that if you have a car, there is NO alternate side parking, therefore you will NOT have to take a second job moving your car back and fourth across the streets all week.

The 7 train area in Queens is a different ball park altogether. It really depends on the area, but it is generally less of a hectic commute and has a good share of nice neighborhoods, with young and experienced professionals. But generally you will pay more for less compared to SI. The 7 train around Vernon blvd/LIC is a very up and coming area though. I would move there in a hearbeat. Jackson Heights is fine too, but I don't think i'd move to Corona.

Last edited by itshim; 02-20-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,649,459 times
State Island is good if you do most of your living on SI. Meaning you finish work and you go home right away and spend the nights/weekends in SI.

Otherwise, it's pain in the butt. Big challenge of SI is weakness of public transportation compared to say Queens or Bronx or Brooklyn. Honestly in my opinion, even compared to Long Island because ferry while nice. Doesn't beat say LIRR or MTA train.

That said, if your job is in financial district then SI and short commute is important to you. SI has leg up on Queens for that one. Although I'd say Brooklyn has leg up on both SI and Queens for access to financial district. If budget is of concern, NJ is option as well in areas like Journal Square in Jersey City. While it's not as desirable as say the waterfront area, it's cheaper and still has access to Path and if you're willing to walk a bit then you can find apartment for cheap and not pay NYC income tax. In return, Journal Square area may feel bit gritty and urban for some...if you're from say suburbs of south florida area.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:40 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,613,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As for St. George the area is OK. Some blocks are nice, others not so nice. But there is A LOT of low income/ high crime areas around the 120 precinct (the 120 is across the street from the Ferry terminal), in both directions from Stapleton down Richmond Terrace to Manors Harbor. It's an area that is a very ignored part of the city and seems to be one of the very few places in NYC completely untouched by gentrification. Once you take your first trip down Richmond Terrace youll notice things to have that "Terminator" look at the beginning of the movie as if WWIII were going on. The only benefit to SI is that if you have a car, there is NO alternate side parking, therefore you will NOT have to take a second job moving your car back and fourth across the streets all week.
I'd just like to point out that the crime rates on a lot of the areas of the North Shore are exaggerated by other Staten Islanders, because SI overall is a very safe borough. There are relatively few areas that could actually be considered dangerous. In a lot of cases, it's only one portion of the neighborhood that's actually dangerous, and the rest are so-so, but everybody labels the entire neighborhood as dangerous based on that one section. (See the map below)

While no area of SI (except for possibly some parts of St. George) could be considered gentrified, that's just more of the nature of the borough overall: Rather than having single professionals, most areas on SI are designed for families.

Here's a map (made by myself based on experience walking around through those areas) of how safe SI neighborhoods are. Staten Island Safety Map - Google Maps

In any case, as I said before, the area with the best transportation to reach Manhattan would be around the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge. It's doable, but as other posters said, Queens would be better.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM

32,037 posts, read 32,873,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
The 7 train area in Queens is a different ball park altogether. It really depends on the area, but it is generally less of a hectic commute and has a good share of nice neighborhoods, with young and experienced professionals. But generally you will pay more for less compared to SI. The 7 train around Vernon blvd/LIC is a very up and coming area though. I would move there in a hearbeat. Jackson Heights is fine too, but I don't think i'd move to Corona.
I would second Jackson Heights and also suggest Sunnyside/Woodside along the 7 train line.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,433,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoros View Post
Why Staten Island? There isn't much to do there, and by St. George is not a great place after dark.

Where are you working? The only reason to live in SI, is if you are woring there or Downtown Manhattan.
It is so sad when unknowledgeable people give the wrong advice to others. With the lowest crime rate of all the boroughs, its emphasis on family unity, myriad of gorgeous neighborhoods, and one of the highest-income levels, State Island has LOTS TO OFFER, BUT it is not for the disfranchised.

Staten Island Borough President's Office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City