U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 PM

10 posts, read 55,942 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Riverdale as my kids study at CCNY and my husband works in the Bronx. We are looking to rent an apartment in a luxury building in a nice safe area of Riverdale. Can I please get some feedback on Skyview on the Hudson, Fieldston Lofts, The Whitehall, The Windsor, The Parkway House, Hudson Manor Terrace and Hayden on the Hudson.
Can someone also please tell me what is the nicest and safest area in Riverdale? Does anyone recommend any other buildings other than the ones I mentioned? Any feedback would be a great help and much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 AM

10,863 posts, read 26,900,582 times
Fieldston Lofts is not a rental building, with the remaining units all right around $1M. The location is a bit odd for that price point, IMO, as the building does not have a river or parkland view, which one can easily find in Riverdale in that competitive price range. It is situated on the hill in the midst of a commercial area, with a street that faces the building, looking down the hill toward Broadway. The balconies are in the front on Riverdale Avenue, and don't strike me as being particularly pastoral in nature, nor interesting enough in terms of cityscape to put up with the odd shape and position of the balconies.

The Windsors is west of the parkway, which can afford some nice views, even from Henry Hudson Parkway. It is primarily a co-op, but it does allow rentals, as it has a rental agent. Some will say that anything west of the parkway is in the estate area, and that's sort of confusing as there is a distinction. Properties on Henry Hudson Parkway may technically fall within the zone commonly referred to as the estate area, but they are not set amidst landscaped grounds, though on higher floors, there can be pastoral views.

The Whitehall is in a different category as it has the sports club and indoor pool, so it has more amenities, and is a doorman building. The complex is also west of the Parkway, and has been regarded as one of the premier co-ops in Riverdale.

Hudson Manor Terrace is another co-op, but it's more to the level of a middle class building, garden style, as opposed to a full-service, luxury building. It is west of the parkway, but is a low-rise building, so views are not as plentiful as in other buildings that are taller. The area can be congested, behind the Whitehall, near the Riverdale-Kingsbridge Academy, with many cars parked on the streets.

Hayden-on-Hudson is in the estate area, and is a very unique building that arcs on the river side, offering balconies, and stunning views. It is a doorman, full-service condo, and has units that are around the same price as Fieldston Lofts (when factoring renovated kitchens and baths), but the location is superior in terms of view and setting amidst landscaped grounds with direct river and Palisades views.

Skyview is in North Riverdale, nearer the Yonkers border, and is a mini-compound unto itself. It's more of a middle class building than full-service, luxury, and some of the units do have views. There's a thread on the forum about Skyview, pros and cons, that goes back a while. I have never been impressed by the setting or apartments, and don't know the mix between co-op owner/occupiers and renters in the complex, but some have said that particular buildings are better than others in the complex.

If you want a full-service, all rental building, The Century in Spuyten Duyvil is one to consider. Solaria is a condominium that has had trouble selling, and I am not sure of the current rental policy, but it is situated close to the Whitehall, and is a newer luxury condo. In Spuyten Duyvil, Riverdale-on-Hudson, The Winston Churchill, and River Pointe Towers are co-op buildings in which you may find a rental. La Rive is a condo building on Palisades that also might be worth investigating. Your best bet would be to contact a few of the older brokerages in Riverdale, who know the buildings well, to find some good leads on rentals, as there are few exclusive rental buildings in the areas you are considering.

In terms of safety, Riverdale is very safe, overall, with few areas of concern. Many of the differences in the neighborhood are by type of housing, though some names are appropriated and boundaries extended to make properties seem to be more advantageous. For example, Fieldston Lofts is not in Fieldson, which technically only comprises properties within the association, though some extend the sub-neighborhood to other areas of Central Riverdale that are near Fieldston Road. The estate area, as described above, is another category that is extended as far east as Henry Hudson Parkway West, but in reality, HH Parkway West is developed with large complexes for the most part, and the estate area begins to the west by a couple of blocks. If you want river, park, bridge, Palisades views, you want to look in Spuyten Duyvil and areas west of the Parkway, for the most unobstructed view potential on higher floors.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I will definitely take your feedback into consideration. This was very helpful. Thank you.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 AM

10,863 posts, read 26,900,582 times
You are very welcome. There was also a smaller rental-only building built on Kappock within the last year, but the problem with that place is that I think they are all 2BR apartments, and it's not a full-service building, but the units are nicely finished from what I was told by someone who toured them.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 PM

1,832 posts, read 2,680,209 times
I grew up in the Parkway House! I'm now 57, so I'm going way back, it was a rental building then but I spent many great hours on the terrace....to this day, I CANNOT imagine not having 'outdoor space' I had GREAT friends, we are STILL friends! It was a very nice place to grow up, best Halloweens!!!!! TONS of candy! LOL! If you choose the Parkway House I hope you and your kids have the same great experience I did!

Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM

Thank you all for your very informative feedback. This has certainly narrowed things down for us and will make it easier for us to decide after considering all options.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 12,585 times
We are also thinking of moving to riverdale. We have a lead on an apartment at the Glen Briar. We have been offered a parking space for $30,000. Is this really the going rate for a parking space in a covered garage there? Just want to make sure we are not being fleeced by the broker.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM

22,280 posts, read 29,425,447 times
I have friends in the Skyview (co-op) and they have a high floor 2-bedroom at 5800 Arnlington, with a really breathtaking view from a small terrace across Vasn Cortland Park even to Long Island Sound, that they got for song about 12 years ago... $125K.
They love it and did a lot with it, hard wood floors, etc. They complain about the rapidly rising Mainteance costs...but what else is new.

Without a car it is a tedious commute to Manhattan with a long bus ride and then a tough walk up a MOUNTAIN. But they have a car. (I DON'T.)

But it's really nice atop the mountain and they have their own health club and lovely pool and the place is very QUIET.

They think they could get $250K for it...or a little more. So they did very well.

I would recommend the SKYVIEW with a car. Reserved parking, covered and uncovered is available for residents quite reasonably.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:56 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,455,744 times
fancy

Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 12,439 times
Super informative reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City