Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,192,577 times

Advertisements

I was in the Subway Station and I got on the metro train from one part of Queens to the other side, close to Manhattene. While I was on the train, a black kid was playing a song called Nas - Queens N****S. Basically it was a hip-hop song paying tribute to every person in Queens. I am a fan of Hip-Hop. I'm also a BIG fan of Nas, Nas was the music artist who recorded the song.

When I heard the song thru the train ride I was ecstatic to hear my favourite rappers voice. And what made it even more unique was hearing nas mention Queens . So I actually enjoyed the 3:50 of music that was played upon the train ride.

So my question is, do you get irritated by people playing music on the metro train? Would you still be irritated if the track was about your burough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Its part of life , but if this happened on the PATH , that said person would be kicked off....

Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 AM

281 posts, read 1,237,828 times
I like NAS. Illmatic is one of the best rap albums ever.But if the music was booming loud and NAS was dropping lots of F*Bombs and MF's and there were passengers I would say no way,turn it off or down.If it was me I'd have no problem but there aren't a whole lot of white 45 year old NAS listeners.

Last edited by nyctovt; 02-20-2012 at 01:28 AM.. Reason: Sent prematurely

Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
I detest hearing other people's music on the subway, even if it is a band I like. I think it's rude to make everyone else listen to what you want to listen to. Not to mention, illegal.

However, the other night there was a group of young Caribbean men and women on the A train singing and rapping just for their own enjoyment (no passing around a hat) and they were amazing. It was a fabulous New York moment.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 AM

199 posts, read 421,371 times
It's what headphones are for. I don't want to be stuck on a train for twenty five minutes listening to his music of choice, and why should everyone in the car relocate because he wants to play music whenever, wherever? It's just disrespectful. Also don't much enjoy those who sing loudly while listening to said headphones, so on second thought.. at least NAS has some talent and I don't feel trapped in an Idol audition...

I don't mind the group on the train rapping, that's a group activity, they're passing the time. I know the difference is trivial, but it's a fine line between 'hey, they're enjoyable' and 'I'll walk.. I just have to get off this train'.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Well, I'll say this as a former conductor: the official policy is that playing music on the subway is illegal. Many people will say, "Oh, yeah, but it happens all the time." The truth is, you don't have to put up with it if you don't want to. If you make a complaint to the conductor, he or she will radio that complaint in to our Command Center. The person can be removed from the train and fined.

But I'll tell you for a fact--very few conductors will get on the radio about some idiot running their music at hyper-volume if a passenger doesn't say something first.

Also, aside from playing music (or what might pass for music), ANY kind of amplifier is specifically illegal. Another thing most people simply won't complain about.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Nas is my favorite all time rapper and Illmatic is my favorite album ever, but honestly I don't want to hear it on the subway blasting from someone's boom box or their headphones while I'm minding my business.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Even if it is my favorite artist, I find having to hear other people's music on the train extremely irritating and obnoxious.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
Who's this NAS you speak of?

Old 02-21-2012, 10:28 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,766 times
If i was on the train and someone was playing nas i would ask them to turn it up however if they were playing techno i would push them onto the tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: