Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times

Advertisements

Well at the very least the OP has a heads on what is probably going to happen regarding the illegal apartment, and has enough time to secure another apartment before he/she is removed from the current one.

It sucks, but it's better to know NOW so you can act, rather than later when the city steps in to make sure the place isn't occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
The real issue with a basement apt, or any apt for that matter, is 2 means of egress.
That cannot be an absolute. I have a single door and windows 150 feet up and I cannot fly. Thus I have only ONE means of egress (same with my last apartment.)

So I assume that a building deemed "fireproof" is exempt? Or are basements held to stricter standards?
Would a basement in my "fireproof" buiding be held to the same standards of two means of egress as a basement in a 5 story walkup with fire escapes hanging in front?

Suzushiiro,
I do not think you are in danger of immediate eviction but DO put your feelers out and find something you like.
BTW, a landlord is not allowed to collect rent on an illegal apartment...so be advised accordingly.

Last edited by Kefir King; 02-22-2012 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
New construction buildings are exempt from this, as they are "fireproof" and instead of attempting escape you are better off staying inside with doors closed. The entry door to your apt should be a metal fireproof door, which will confirm they are indeed the new standard. Which is why on the new 3 family "fedders" homes scattered throughout the outerboroughs, you will not see fire escapes on the higher floor apts. It is no longer required in the new building codes.

The entire building, including the basement, must meet this standard because fires can start anywhere, especially a basement which has the boiler, hot water tank, main gas lines, etc. When I mentioned the 2 means of egress, I am exempting new construction as they have their own new codes.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 50,273 times
UPDATE:

Talked to the landlord about it again today, and he is apparently of the "just ignore it and it will go away" school of thought, and has told us to just not let anyone in and not answer the door if they come with a warrant or something. I don't know if he's deliberately trying to pull a fast one or just stupid, but I'm betting on the latter.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzushiiro View Post
UPDATE:

Talked to the landlord about it again today, and he is apparently of the "just ignore it and it will go away" school of thought, and has told us to just not let anyone in and not answer the door if they come with a warrant or something. I don't know if he's deliberately trying to pull a fast one or just stupid, but I'm betting on the latter.
Maybe it's a combination of the two.

I would just advice that you stop paying rent, and start looking for another apartment ASAP.
And if any authorities do show up at your door, you should open the door and let them in. There's a reason the dept of building conducts inspections and investigations. It's for your own safety.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Typically I say do not let any authorities in ever, however if you do not have the required 2 means of egress or access to full size windows, it is a dangerous and life-threatening condition which could take your life, the life of someone you know, or someone else if you do decide to move out if it is not corrected. If the LL is choosing not to correct the egress situation, then all bets are off and you should move out and do what you can to ensure nobody else rents the apt (which means contacting authorities). I would advise the LL that you are doing this unless he fixes the condition. If the basement apt cannot have at least 2 means of egress, then there is nothing he can do, the apt should not ever be rented, and you should do what you can to prevent him from renting it again.

And I am a landlord! I recognize the unsafe condition, and it is not ok. I have my ground level (basement) apt renovated into a studio apt, and it has full size windows on 2 sides, and 3 means of egress (front entrance, backyard, and upstairs to the hallway). If it did not have the front and back door access AND full size windows (not those little windows up on the ceiling which are hard to reach and sometimes not large enough for someone to fit through), I would not rent it. Technically the apt is "illegal" as the COO is for 3 units, but that's a formality to legalize it...just because it is technically an "illegal" apt does not mean it is "unsafe", remember EGRESS and WINDOWS.

Cellars should never be rented!!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Yeah, we're pretty much decided on getting the hell out at this point and we have a solid lead on a new place. Our main priority is not getting thrown out of this place by the authorities before we can get into a new one, and from when we talked to them this morning they were sounding like if the apartment wasn't up to code upon inspection we'd immediately no longer be able to live there (though we could keep our stuff there and use it as a storage unit, we couldn't sleep there.) Is this true, or would the process be longer, or would it depend on the severity of the violation(s) and/or the judgement of the inspector?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Additional question: we got this apartment through a broker who we paid a fee to. Would the broker company be able/obligated to help us out here?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzushiiro View Post
Additional question: we got this apartment through a broker who we paid a fee to. Would the broker company be able/obligated to help us out here?
Go talk to them. Tell them about the situation, and the legality of the apt.
Ask them to help you find another place wihout paying another fee, they might be 'able' to help you. Wether they're 'obligated', I'm not sure. I guess it will depend on wether the broker knew that the apt was good to rent or not. you might need to consult with a lawyer for that.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
That cannot be an absolute. I have a single door and windows 150 feet up and I cannot fly. Thus I have only ONE means of egress (same with my last apartment.)

So I assume that a building deemed "fireproof" is exempt? Or are basements held to stricter standards?
Would a basement in my "fireproof" buiding be held to the same standards of two means of egress as a basement in a 5 story walkup with fire escapes hanging in front?

BTW, a landlord is not allowed to collect rent on an illegal apartment...so be advised accordingly.
You live in a modern building, correct?

You not only have a fireproof door, but likely sprinklers as well; multiple staircases. Modern buildings also have other safety features that help to keep a fire from spreading. Modern buildings are designed to contain a fire not only to a floor, but also to the originating apt.

In modern buildings you are generally instructed and are said toto be safest staying in your apartment; and oh, ahh, 'close the door'! You should also note in modern buildings, the apt door will not stay open!

Also depending upon how large and modern, the building may be plugged into a monitoring system and/or to the fire dept. So no one has to call 911 to report a fire.

The average home has none of these safety features, so the 'codes' are determined to deal with the differing circumstances, and to insure that residents can evacuate in a fire emergency. Since smoke is not contained it is important to get out.

I live in a modern building with a balcony. I plan on purchasing a *slide*. In the event of a catastrophe I can get my GF out by way of the balcony and slide. Smoke is the greatest danger in a fire.

Consequently, it is a good idea to keep a couple of tanks of air and a breathing mask, and of course flashlights with batteries; and of course a fire extinguisher, particularely if you don't have sprinklers. Even if you do, its still a good idea, as having the sprinklers go off is the last thing you want if you can extinguish the fire quickly. Water damage can be excessive from sprinklers, and you will be responsible for water damage to the other apartments.

Renters insurance is a good idea, just from this perspective.

Quote:
Suzushiiro,
I do not think you are in danger of immediate eviction but DO put your feelers out and find something you like.
You know next to nothing about the fire codes, the legality of the apt, but you choose to advise the OP.

Some of you folks simply need to stop guessing! What is the point in providing wrong and useless info?!

OP, prepare to move at any moment.

If the apt is deemed to be 'illegal', it is not habitable!

The LL will be required to evict you asap! Since the eviction is not the average non-payment or holdover case, it will move faster. The LL will be motivated as he will be subject to fines as long as the space is occupied.

As some one has suggested, negotiate with the LL for all or part of the rent that has been paid, as the LL is not legally entitled to any of it, past, present nor future. At minimum, you should obligate the LL to pay your moving expenses, whatever it takes to get you into a new *legal* apartment. It is his obligation. You could holdout for all of your rent paid, but that would likely involve going to court, rather than that you can ask for 3 or 4 months rent of what your new rent will be, as well as the cost of movers.

So, for example, if you are paying $500 and the new legal place cost $1000, then ask for $3K or $4K plus movers cost of say $500.

If you have been living there for a year or more, for example, paying $500 per, that is $6000. None of which he is entitled to, and legally you can sue to be reimbursed. So, legally and financially, it is in the LL's interest to *settle* as in the example above. Obviously, it is cheaper.

Don't be greedy, but do be prudent. I suggest you find a good LL/Tenant attorney. Call your local couunty bar association, and/or the NY county bar association. Each will have a free service which will reccommend a competent attorney in the applicable area of law. In this case a real estate litigation atty or LL/Tenant attorney. Also include the attorney's fee in the negotiated amount. Of course, you'll have to pay the attorney a retainer fee at the start.

Now, all that is predicated on the LL's capability to pay. If he has no money then what can you do? You can workout a payout over time. Though that won't be of immediate help to you.

Btw, don't let any of the numnuts in this forum chide you into thinking that you are in anyway responsible or that the negotiated amount s/b mitigated in any way, because you were *aware* that the apt was illegal when you rented.

The onus is completely and fully upon the LL. Your knowledge and/or action thereupon has absolutely no bearing!

Luck and be more wise next time. It is foolish to have put yourself and/or your loved one(s) in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City