Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate all your responses. I noticed many of you saying places like Howard Beach, Bensonhurst, Boro Park, Maspeth, etc.

However these are truly "ethnic" white neighborhoods. Am I wrong?

Bensonhurst is heavily Italian still. So I'm assuming that the whites that live here are Italians (and maybe some Russians)

Howard Beach is Italian, Boro Park Jewish, Maspeth a mix of Irish, Italian, Polish,

So do the whites usually live in ethnic neighborhoods with their own ethnicities like Itailans in Bensonhurst and Howard Beach, and Jews in Boro Park.
Some neighborhoods are more mixed with different ethnic groups, and others have a dominate group [Howard Beach-Italian, Forest Hills-Jewish, Woodlawn-Irish etc].

My neighborhood, Glendale, has a mix of Italian, Irish, German, Polish, Puerto Rican etc. Same with nearby Maspeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:08 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Thank you guys for all your responses.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:21 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Originally Posted by homenj
I noticed that most of the families living in NYC are usually economically disadvantaged or minority or immigrant families living here. You are making a very baised assumption that every non-white or immigrant family you see is poor. That is far from the truth. Certainly some are. But you can't know just by looking.

Yes I know it is biased to say all minority families in NYC are poor I know they are def not.

But when you look at statistics of certain minority groups like blacks and Puerto Ricans you will still notice a disporportionate amount of poor in these groups. It's not that they haven't progressed but many end up leaving for the suburbs.

Although as I mentioned in another post, some middle class and more prosperous blacks live in certain parts of Queens and Puerto Ricans in places like Throgs Neck.

Also the City has many Dominicans who by and large come from less educated and poorer backgrounds. Although don't get me wrong there are Dominicans who come here from the larger cities of the DR and come from more educated backgrounds. But I was reading Dominicans are the poorest Hispanic group in the US.

However US Born Dominicans have a high college education attainment but I'm not sure if like the Puerto Ricans they largely end up opting for the suburbs.

And plus many NYC Dominicans are still first generation immigrants. Many other NYC Latinos are really first generation immigrants who often don't speak too much English and thus are poorer.

However this should not eclipse the progress and the fact that there are professional minorities here.

In fact I never really said all minorities were economically disadvantaged.

In my town there are many minorities and some are well off but still choose to live in the City.

I was just under the assumption (and now judging by the responses here) that minorities were still more likely to have families here even if they were are a bit well off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've often said that New York isn't for everyone. But that doesn't mean that it isn't for anyone.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM

357 posts, read 727,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The thread title is misleading. It should read "are there really any well-off white families in NYC?"
Yes, this thread is quite insulting.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Family-oriented neighborhoods in NYC;

In Manhattan; Battery park city.

In Brooklyn; Bensonhursts, Boro park, Dyker Heights, Bay Ridge, Park Slope, Brighton beach, Sheephead bay.

In Queens; Maspeth, Forest hills, Kew gardens, Middle village, etc.

There's plenty of families that are not minority in NYC, AND there's some good schools in some of the neighborhoods I listed.
Very accurate OP. Good post!

Old 02-25-2012, 01:40 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I've often said that New York isn't for everyone. But that doesn't mean that it isn't for anyone.
Thank you for correcting him.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Must be some, I work with someone who is Manhattan born and bred, grew up in Greenwich Village. I don't think he was economically disadvantaged, but I don't know him well enough to ask.

And of course there's Tribeca, which must have tons of well-off families based on all the high-end baby/toddler stores. Ick.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:42 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I've done extensive research on this topic. There's not a single family residing anywhere in NYC. Everyone knows this.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The thread title is misleading. It should read "are there really any well-off white families in NYC?"
And even then, the OP is still way off-base, considering that a lot of $40k per year private schools having waiting lists miles long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City