Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:23 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,791,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Geez, I don't speak anything close to street slang and even I know exactly what someone means when they call someone ghetto. Maybe Mr. Community needs to get out of his and visit a new one for some education.
When they play word games they're usually trying to deflect, because they don't have a credible response. It can hijack the thread.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
Seems to be a lot of that going on around here lately...

Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
When they play word games they're usually trying to deflect, because they don't have a credible response. It can hijack the thread.
Quote:
Geez, I don't speak anything close to street slang and even I know exactly what someone means when they call someone ghetto. Maybe Mr. Community needs to get out of his and visit a new one for some education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I honestly hate to get personal but I think you are really being silly and immature. You know very well what ohiogirl and many others on here mean when referring to the word "ghetto" in terms of social behavior.

Why waste so much time on this thread arguing the definition just because webster hasn't recognized it yet? You said some dictionaries are recognizing the term gay as it is referenced today. So give it time, maybe some day webster will recognize this as well. Then, even you can use the term if you wish.
Ghetto is still recognized TODAY as a place with a large amount of minorities.

It hasn't changed meanings.

Kids still say "I'm from the ghetto"

You can have a ghetto mindset but that has nothing to do with wanting benefits.
There are young college students that rely on foodstamps until they can get their careers started. Are you saying that they are ghetto?

A ghetto mindset means that persons mind is fixed on that one place. It means they still talk and act like they are from the ghetto.

Government benefits has nothing to do with this because people from the ghetto aren't the only ones on benefits. Look at the video I linked earlier in the thread.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,944,967 times
You are the only one conflating the pursuit of government benefits with "being ghetto". Although the act of recieving government benefits is certainly common amongst "ghetto" people, I'd venture that very few posters here would label everyone who receives them with the term.

Seriously though, you should just drop the act. Someone made a comment using a slang term - which you certainly know the "street" meaning of - and you feebly attempted to belittle them using the strict dictionary definition. It's a tired act and does nothing to add to the conversation. Refute the argument with substance if that is your goal, rather than the fluff you are currently leaning on.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
OMG, is that a real question? Did you not see the video. If you don't think she's ghetto then YOU, yourself must be ghetto to and have become immune to being surrounded by those type of ghetto people in your life to the point that you are oblivious and can't distinguish the difference between normal human behavior and ghetto low-class behavior.

Please tell me you were joking
Quote:
The nerve of this ghetto a$$ woman insisting that the government be held accountable for providing for her children. Ever heard of birth control? This really pisses me off. This is exactly what is wrong with America and the whole welfare system.

She says someone must be held accountable for providing for all 15 of her children...yeah YOU! You decided to have all those kids knowing your ghetto a$$ can't affordable it, and now you want us taxpayers to foot the bill. SMH!

I really feel for the kids as they are innocent but allowing people like her to reproduce should be a crime. Someone should of tied her tubes at the 2nd child. God knows what her kids will grow up to be. Chances are they will become statistics of the streets which is quite sad. All because she can't keep her legs closed.
Quote:
You are the only one conflating the pursuit of government benefits with "being ghetto". Although the act of recieving government benefits is certainly common amongst "ghetto" people, I'd venture that very few posters here would label everyone who receives them with the term.

Seriously though, you should just drop the act. Someone made a comment using a slang term - which you certainly know the "street" meaning of - and you feebly attempted to belittle them using the strict dictionary definition. It's a tired act and does nothing to add to the conversation. Refute the argument with substance if that is your goal, rather than the fluff you are currently leaning on.
"You are the only one conflating the pursuit of government benefits with "being ghetto". Although the act of recieving government benefits is certainly common amongst "ghetto" people, I'd venture that very few posters here would label everyone who receives them with the term. "

Please read the other two quotes from poster HilltopJay where he refers to this woman as ghetto.
The video posted gave out information about this woman.

-She has multiple kids
-She wants government benefits.

^ People here are trying to link that to a ghetto mindset. So, I broke down what the term ghetto really means. I also broke down what a ghetto mindset was.

I was pointing out that it has nothing to do with receiving government benefits because a large majority of people on here believe that.

"Seriously though, you should just drop the act. Someone made a comment using a slang term - which you certainly know the "street" meaning of - and you feebly attempted to belittle them using the strict dictionary definition. "

The Street meaning of Ghetto is exactly what it means in the dictionary.

Ask any kid from Harlem, Brownsville, Bed Stuy, or Far Rockaway and they will say "I live in the ghetto".

The only difference is guns and crime also fall into the definition when it's used as slang.

Example of a ghetto mindset:

Hood 2 Hood Harlem Part 1 - YouTube

Old 02-28-2012, 12:34 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,163 times
This "hood" video is a perfect piece to showcase as to why Harlem and the rest of NYC's "hoods" need to be gentrified. Notice how that dude mentioned that they are trying to raise the rents to make them move...hahaha. Hope the powers that be are successful in removing trash like you see on the video. They serve no purpose in society. They should move to Newark and be among other like-minded animals and leave NY along.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:52 PM

29 posts, read 75,885 times
It has everything to do with them for receiving government benefits. Because ghettos, skants, and lazy bastards are still trying to get more government benefits. Look at that black girl, I will call her - SKANT, because she is really skant who slept with others. Like her, most of teenagers are having babies without fathers, and looking forwards to take government benefits. Why can't try to move their ass and work hard to earn like Us. If you are the one, I am talking about. Excuse me then!

Matter of fact, I l love children, but I don't want see children who are hearing all the time with "F words" in their family house, got abused by every times at home with trash words. Do you want to see them as homeless when they grown up? Think about those kids, when they grown up, their mindset are really full of trashes. Later they will end up in Jails, or with Government benefits to support their life.

Regarding about big family in working family, looking forward to have big family in working family member is good thing. So they can train kids to be educated like them to work for country. But if you can't effort to pay for your living expenses, then don't give a birth and close your legs all the times.

Most of kids from Harlem, Brownsville, Bed Stuy, or Far Rockaway are abused with trash words by society. Because the adults use daily those trash words all the times no matter what they are with kids. That's why most of kids don't know how to respect anyone around, even adults in those areas. If you don't believe me, visit those area. I am not blaming at any one. I am telling the true fact because of ghettos, skants, lazy bastards like men/girls/women who think Government and societies be held accountable for providing for all they needs ruin the nation and states. Tell white for foreigner to stay those area, they will feel unsafe. because of those bad people are destroying the name of city.

Even they still get benefits from Governments, they don't know how to act like human yet. So that's why we should stop this government expense on trashes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
^ People here are trying to link that to a ghetto mindset. So, I broke down what the term ghetto really means. I also broke down what a ghetto mindset was.

I was pointing out that it has nothing to do with receiving government benefits because a large majority of people on here believe that.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:03 PM

29 posts, read 75,885 times
Quote:
This "hood" video is a perfect piece to showcase as to why Harlem and the rest of NYC's "hoods" need to be gentrified. Notice how that dude mentioned that they are trying to raise the rents to make them move...hahaha. Hope the powers that be are successful in removing trash like you see on the video. They serve no purpose in society. They should move to Newark and be among other like-minded animals and leave NY along.
That is true, if we stop doing for welfare, food stamp benefits, section-8 and rise the rents, they will start to move out from City. I don't want to see them, since they are no good to society at all.

They should be drop to Iran, and never take them back, until they win the war with ghettos fight for country Joking apart, they should start to work hard to live in this society.

Look at Singapore for example, if you want to live in Singapore, you should be a professional, or working, students, then they can live in. Otherwise, you can't live in that Singapore society. that's why Singapore is clean city even though the country is hybrid regime. Or you can see New Zealand too for comparing with NYC.

Last edited by citypower; 02-28-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:38 PM

448 posts, read 685,146 times
I get $200 a month in foodstamps.

I also have a fulltime Job.

A lot of us on foodstamps do.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citypower View Post
Joking apart, they should start to work hard to live in this society.
If we're awarding people to live in NYC based on how hard they work, I think the working poor ought to have first dubs in living in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City