Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 AM

15 posts, read 111,886 times

Advertisements

Hi -- born and raised in Brighton Beach but I'm not Russian....when I was growing up there in the '80s there were about (#'s not accurate -- just an estimate) 50 percent Russian, about 25 American Jews, and the rest was a split between Asian, Hispanic and Black.

In High School (Lincoln H.S.) the cliques were mostly divided between Russians and non-Russians -- us non-Russian kids felt like we all had to stick together against "them" --- silly, I know, but hey, it was H.S.

Now it seems like on top of the predominantly Russian population, there's also a growing number of Pakistanis/Southeast Asians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM

281 posts, read 1,237,321 times
I am also aware of a pretty big Russian influx in Starrett City.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbeach85
I am 23 and grew up and still live in Brooklyn
Quote:
People being on the beach at night is as "illegal" as jaywalking is, that's why.
How can you quote anything about the origins of the Russians in BB if you weren't even born yet? Secondly you know nothing about the beaches at night. People walk the boardwalk/beaches nearly 24/7 especially in the warmer months. The only time the 60 pct ever goes onto the sand itself is if there is a party that has gotten out of hand. Most times they just drive the boardwalks.

Quote:
People being on the beach at night is as "illegal" as jaywalking
It is a not illegal. Its a violation (not even a misdemeanor) of trespass law NY Penal Law 140.05. But it has never been enforced. Why? Because there is no continuous fence that closes off the beach from the boardwalk (steps, ramps,etc are not closed). Even though there may may be signs to the beach closing at 9pm (boardwalk 1am), what police officer is going to waste his time in the middle of the night to write a ticket that has less value than a parking ticket.

Now Jaywalking is Reckless Endangerment in the Second Degree (New York Penal Law 120.20) is a misdemeanor crime. See the difference??

Quote:
I have never seen any red jeeps though on the beach at night
Again you were not born yet when it was on the beach and was probably five when the program was ended. It drove up/down the shoreline looking for boat drop offs late at night (smuggling,etc).

Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 AM

27 posts, read 70,077 times
Everything about this neighborhood sucks. In early 70s it was a dump populated by older Eastern European Jews with neglected collapsing infrastructure. What made the neighborhood really bad was the large amount of paroled criminals living in rented SRO apartments that were made available by proxy slumlords. Later with large influx of Russian Jews the neighborhood had some activity revived with mostly Russian deli's and clothing stores and restaurants catering mostly to newer immigrants. There was much crime due to Soviet's releasing numerous criminals and sending them "secretly" with common immigrants. Era saw its day with 30s style gangsterism and crime. Than on top of it all was the infamous "D" train bringing the PR's from the Bronx during the summer. Volatile criminality was rampant with beach entrances "occupied" with young PR's selling drugs and blasting the area with boom box noise. Also, the Coney Island ghetto's did not help the situation. Currently the area is flooded with heavy presence of Paki natioanals living in and around Neptune Ave. Its a real Casbah - a place where America takes a dump. The area is mostly inhabitat by ex-Soviet nationals from Asiatic Republics and illegal "Orthodox" dregs from Russia. Strippers, hobos, hookers, drunks, druggies, transients, crooks - you name it ! The early Jewish settlers are mostly senior citizens with younger ones moving-out to Staten Island or Jersey and only visit the area for nostalgic reasons or Russian food shopping. To be honest - this is a really shabby neighborhood !

Old 09-25-2010, 03:53 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
i must say that appearance wise, it looks no different that the areas west of the grand concourse in the 180s minus the beach. but the crime isnt nearly as bad.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-11-2010, 04:50 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I used to know a Russian teacher/professor who oftened traveled to Brighton Beach and he would describe the Russians by saying somethign like "Yeah they are Jewish, however they're the type of Jew who would tell you that they are Jewish while eating a ham sandwich."
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by askangiwa View Post
Now it seems like on top of the predominantly Russian population, there's also a growing number of Pakistanis/Southeast Asians
SE Asians? First I've heard of any asians in brooklyn that weren't chinese. What ethnicity are they there?

Old 10-11-2010, 08:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctovt View Post
I am also aware of a pretty big Russian influx in Starrett City.
And Borough Park...and Bensonhurst...and parts of Midwood. Go figure!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,711 times
Does anyone have real expertise on the Russian Mafia in Brighton Beach or other sections of Brooklyn? They are extremely clandestine so solid info is hard to come by but I'd be interested in any anecdotal or more documented knowledge of their workings, organization, specific rackets, etc. Nothing incriminating or scary, just sociologically supportable in some way.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM

346 posts, read 1,256,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
SE Asians? First I've heard of any asians in brooklyn that weren't chinese.
What.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 10,089 times
It is not fair to say they took it over. They are good citizens and very hard working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City