Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,980,565 times

Advertisements

Clearly these 2 building are not comparable, however the theory behind Elvira's comment was that people will live just about anywhere and put up with alot of crap, including payong $2,500 for a studio next door to an asbestos laden toxic hole that will be under construction for 5 years (and has been a hole for the prior 5)...so it's not hard to believe that people would be willing to pay 1/2 as much for twice as much space to live in the Bronx a block from the Cross Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,589,160 times
Yes, but Hustla, Manhattan rents are way too outrageous for the average Joe to pay. If you have to live here, you may not have a choice other than the outer boroughs. How is that lacking common sense? (Though if you work on Wall Street, you may be able to afford it, granted.)

People who worked at ground zero are getting very sick...some are dying. Those that live in the area have a good chance of developing serious health issues---probably more quickly than those living near a highway--due to the continual demolition/construction there. All of NY has dirty, even dangerous air--but Ground Zero IMO is a while 'nother dimension.

And some of the financial district/downtown area is still not all that residentially friendly, though it's getting there. By this I mean lots of nightlife, restaurants, etc. in the immediate area.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:02 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,777,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Clearly these 2 building are not comparable, however the theory behind Elvira's comment was that people will live just about anywhere and put up with alot of crap, including payong $2,500 for a studio next door to an asbestos laden toxic hole that will be under construction for 5 years (and has been a hole for the prior 5)...so it's not hard to believe that people would be willing to pay 1/2 as much for twice as much space to live in the Bronx a block from the Cross Bronx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Yes, but Hustla, Manhattan rents are way too outrageous for the average Joe to pay. If you have to live here, you may not have a choice other than the outer boroughs. How is that lacking common sense? (Though if you work on Wall Street, you may be able to afford it, granted.)

People who worked at ground zero are getting very sick...some are dying. Those that live in the area have a good chance of developing serious health issues---probably more quickly than those living near a highway--due to the continual demolition/construction there. All of NY has dirty, even dangerous air--but Ground Zero IMO is a while 'nother dimension.

And some of the financial district/downtown area is still not all that residentially friendly, though it's getting there. By this I mean lots of nightlife, restaurants, etc. in the immediate area.
I think the point is you guys don't realize how stupid most people are.

Just becuase they make stupid decisions does not mean they are right. I wouldn't move near the WTC site. Or would I move at the intersection of two busy highways.

Most people are just stupid.

And although the downtown WTC site area is not my thing. It's the better place to live between the two. Better neighborhood and better buildings. Better transportation as well.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:43 PM

242 posts, read 924,695 times
The air quality near ground zero is not that big of an issue. The major health problems were found in first responders and local residents who were inhaling the smoldering wreckage for months after the planes hit.

Why do you guys think the worst places in the bronx are so great? Outside of riverdale, and waterfront property in country club theres amazing deals.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock247 View Post
The air quality near ground zero is not that big of an issue. The major health problems were found in first responders and local residents who were inhaling the smoldering wreckage for months after the planes hit.

Why do you guys think the worst places in the bronx are so great? Outside of riverdale, and waterfront property in country club theres amazing deals.
They just don't get it...

Morris Park has some great deals. It's a working class community but it's not ghetto poor.

Country Club has deals, another working class community that is not ghetto poor.

Throgs Neck, where all the Hispanics with money who decide to stay in the city are starting to move.

Pelham Bay. Great neighborhood.

Riverdale, it's a big neighborhood. There are deals to be found.

Woodlawn, another great Bronx neighborhood. Working class but not ghetto poor.

Queens borough. Forget about. Minus South Jamaica Queens/South Ozone, Far Rock, Corona/East Elmhurst every other neighborhood goes from decent to real nice. Many deals to be had.

Staten Island, the only high crime areas on Staten Island are pockets of the north shore and areas around NYCHA complexes.

Brooklyn. Southern Brooklyn has a lot of decent areas with deals to be found.

But no, they want to push the idea that only the ghetto is affordable...

Old 09-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Do you guys live in these great areas? Can you afford to do so? If not, does that make you stupid? Or maybe hypocritical?

If you haven't checked rental prices lately, you might be in for a reality check. Take a quick search on the real estate sites of the NY Times and other local papers. A lot of people simply can't afford the "better" areas, period. Others are not willing to live so far away from Manhattan that their commute is super long. Some don't want to have roomates as if they're still living in a college dorm.

And again, everyone has to decide for themselves what constitutes the best "quality of life" for THEMSElVES. But no matter--perhaps I should just thank you, because I really don't want to see the Bronx become yet another yuppie paradise anyway. Some of the yuppies in Manhattan turn my stomach. Let them stay there where they "belong". I'll survive just fine without Starbucks and make my own coffee--cheaper too.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Do you guys live in these great areas? Can you afford to do so? If not, does that make you stupid? Or maybe hypocritical?

If you haven't checked rental prices lately, you might be in for a reality check. Take a quick search on the real estate sites of the NY Times and other local papers. A lot of people simply can't afford the "better" areas, period. Others are not willing to live so far away from Manhattan that their commute is super long. Some don't want to have roomates as if they're still living in a college dorm.

And again, everyone has to decide for themselves what constitutes the best "quality of life" for THEMSElVES. But no matter--perhaps I should just thank you, because I really don't want to see the Bronx become yet another yuppie paradise anyway. Some of the yuppies in Manhattan turn my stomach. Let them stay there where they "belong". I'll survive just fine without Starbucks and make my own coffee--cheaper too.
If you look you will find. Not everyone who moves to NYC has to live in a bad neighborhood, it's just not true. If that was the case, few would want to move to NYC.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:02 PM

Hustla Do You Or Do You Not Live In One Of Those Better Neighborhoods, Yes Or No???

Old 12-29-2007, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 18,134 times
i lived in noble mansion for over ten years mostly families, one security guard, camaeras, and a parking garage out back its a nice place to live for the money no real violence the people are nice after seeing you on the elevator a couple of times they greet you exchanging niceities i lived on th 18 th floor you can see all the way downtown at night you have a spectacular view of the city for the money you cant beat it most of the people once they get the apt they never leave alot of the residents pass the apts down to other relatives when they move to florida

Old 01-13-2008, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,414 times
Default Hustla is Wrong.

I know the building very well. "Hustla" (what a name) is WRONG.

The building is full of blue collar, middle class, and upper middle class people. The people are diverse and educated. Every morning, as people go to work, everyone says hello and Good Morning. As the kids come home from private schools (ie Horace Mann) and the parents come home from work, people will say Good Evening and ask how your day was.

Every year there is a Holday party held for everyone in the building. There are also pool parties, Halloween parties, and block parties There is a great sense of community. Meals on Wheels comes everyday to help those who can't help themselves.

There is a pool, a laundry mat, a security guard/door man, and a very kind hard working building staff. The mail man and UPS man ensures you get your packages.

One security guard/door man is a Councelman who has been awarded by the Mayor for his outstanding service for the work he has done for the children in Parkchester and Bronx River. Maybe you've seen him on TV.

Each floor has a Floor Captain who holds regular meetings on the state of affairs.

Parkchester and BR PJ's are far away (1/2 hr walking in both directions) and doesn't affect the area or the building because of the strong sense of community here. The park across the street has fantastic upkeep and is not as described. Soccer, baseball and football games are held there all of the time. St. Anthony Church/School have regular school trips there. Birthday and BBQ parties are held there as well. Kids do what kids do, swing, play basketball, and play tag.

Because the community is not predominately White doesn't mean that it's bad or falling. There are educators, District Managers, Regional Managers, Real Estate Agents, Office Managers, Lawyers, and a variety of executives that live in the building. I'd like anyone to find the same kind of apt. space, a pool, and the rent in Manhattan. In Manhattan, people are living on top of each other in a 200 sq. ft. room for $3000.00 a month.

Hustla and his followers need to get their facts straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City