U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM

8,521 posts, read 12,771,263 times

Advertisements

Yes,

I put Harlem on my list of areas to look for a place. I know it's the unthinkable for a lot of you.

For any of you that live in Harlem, what are some of the better parts to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,017,184 times
When you say Harlem, do you include East Harlem or just Central Harlem?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
When you say Harlem, do you include East Harlem or just Central Harlem?
You tell me, should I consider those areas?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:25 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,461,203 times
Yes, include all of greater Harlem. The neighborhood is still in transition. It will only become more economically mixed as time progresses. I will say there are some major quality of life issues in these neighborhoods overall. That ranges from high rates of violent crime to sub-par building conditions. However depending on your tolerance level and the particular block and building you live in it varies. It may well be worth the investment. The pluses include mass transit, walkability, historical architecture and increasing vibrancy.

Personally, I would recommend the parts of Harlem dominated by brownstone style housing or newer construction. The streets dominated by public housing and/or older apartment buildings usually have the most residents in poverty. More poverty, generally more problems.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Yes, include all of greater Harlem. The neighborhood is still in transition. It will only become more economically mixed as time progresses. I will say there are some major quality of life issues in these neighborhoods overall. That ranges from high rates of violent crime to sub-par building conditions. However depending on your tolerance level and the particular block and building you live in it varies. It may well be worth the investment. The pluses include mass transit, walkability, historical architecture and increasing vibrancy.

Personally, I would recommend the parts of Harlem dominated by brownstone style housing or newer construction. The streets dominated by public housing and/or older apartment buildings usually have the most residents in poverty. More poverty, generally more problems.
I remember SeventhFloor suggested these areas:

"IMO best area in Harlem is:

North = 116th Street
East = Lenox Avenue
South = 110th Street
West = Hudson River"

Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,461,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I remember SeventhFloor suggested these areas:

"IMO best area in Harlem is:

North = 116th Street
East = Lenox Avenue
South = 110th Street
West = Hudson River"
It depends on your opinion of best. Also those are vast areas. Entire street lengths that vary from block to block across neighborhoods. E 116th Street for example is very busy in East Harlem, a retail corridor. I personally like the streets closer to Central Park. I also find West Harlem to have the most stable sub-neighborhods.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,912 times
Blocks on or next to the new luxury condos are good in Harlem. Those are the easy ones.

You will really have to get a feel of other neighborhood blocks but there are a lot of happy residents in Harlem. Most of my friends live on East Harlem even though its the worse area and they still like it. To each his own I guess.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:34 AM

17,734 posts, read 23,466,706 times
Investors are already starting to bet on East Harlem with the biggest selling point being proximity to the Second Avenue Subway stations.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 AM

9,742 posts, read 20,306,156 times
I live in the bronx now but grew up partially in Hamilton Heights. I liked Harlem and I wanted to stay in the area after I moved out from my folks but didn't think it was worth the extra sacrifices. Cheaper rent for a bigger apartment ultimately won.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:55 AM

1,587 posts, read 2,961,409 times
I live in Hamilton Heights right now. I like it, but it's lacking in amenities compared to other parts of Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City