Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 02:33 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times

Advertisements

Nowadays, I consider the South Bronx to be more of a region than a single neighborhood because it includes so many areas. Although people in my area refer to my area by its street name or a housing project, I still call my neighborhood Morrisania since that was the given name. And due to the negative reputation that the South bronx name has, I call it Morrisania in order to distinguish my area from its surroundings (like Hunts Point, Longwood, or Highbridge).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 03:50 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times
Personally I've always considered either Gun Hill Road to be the dividing line, I'm not that familiar with the Bronx so if anyone wants to correct me I have no problem with that. I have read somewhere that the South Bronx was actually Mott Haven and Hunts Point area and as poverty spread northward more and more neighborhoods fell underneath the umbrella of the "South Bronx". I also read that as of 1970 the South Bronx was the southern 4 square miles of the borough. I think it was the actual book "Fort Apache". Matter of fact its has its own congressional district which is considered to be the poorest in the nation, so Politically its actually recognized.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM

544 posts, read 1,526,590 times
What are the ethnicity proportions in south Bronx? More black or more hispanic? What about northern bronx?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
What are the ethnicity proportions in south Bronx? Mostly black or hispanic? What about northern bronx?
Hispanics for the most part. I think Morrisania may be majority black but every where else is Puerto Rican/Dominican majority. But the secondary black populations in those hoods are large like 20-40%. So it really is a mix of the two.

Northeast Bronx is predominantly black, mostly from the carribean.

Fordham-Bedford is the same as the south Bronx.

Bedford Park, Norwood, and Kingsbridge Heights is majority hispanic.

Riverdale, Woodlawn, Spuyten Duvil, Kingsbridge are white.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 42,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

Most of the children under 18 in the South Bronx live in poverty. The future is grim as a lot of these young kids going through so much will not grow up to be productive individuals. Even in low income housing the only positive roll models you see are the drug dealers wearing gold chains selling crack to the whores on the block. And the prison cycle continues, another generation stuck in poverty becuase with a felony you might as well be a career criminal.
I grew up in the South Bronx (between Morrisania and West Farms) from the day I was born in 1982 to 1996, and my parents raised me with excellent morals and values. Sure, I used to see a lot of drug dealers and a few criminals in my building. It all depends on the parents of these young individuals. If they are exemplary parents who set limits on their children, then they will be raised to be good citizens of society. I grew up in a very impoverished area, but that didn't influence me to hang out with crackheads or smoke meth with them. My parents cared about my education and have supported me through thick and thin throughout my childhood. I moved to the Southern US in 1996 and since then, I've gotten a Bachelor's degree and will work on my Master's soon. Even if I were still living in the Bronx to this day, I would accomplish these goals, too. I keep in touch with some of my fellow elementary/junior high classmates in the Bronx and some of them have also succeeded because they have families that care about their lives.

Basically, the geographic location cannot affect what a child's life will turn out in the future. It is the responsibility of the parents. If the parents act like a hot mess, then the children will be hot messes as well. I've seen many kids down here in the South (during my high school years) act a fool. I remember a girl in my school made a "hit list" against other students. Fortunately, nothing happened, but it just shows that parents need to put 150% effort to listen to their kids and give them needed attention.

Talking about the topic, I always considered the corner of Southern Blvd/Fordham the end of the South Bronx. For me, the easternmost point of the SB would end at or before the St. Lawrence 6 station as well as Bruckner Blvd past Soundview (I do consider the Elder and Morrison-Soundview areas to be part of the SoBo).

Last edited by Creamsicle; 08-14-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: wanted to add something else

Old 08-14-2009, 06:01 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Hispanics for the most part. I think Morrisania may be majority black but every where else is Puerto Rican/Dominican majority. But the secondary black populations in those hoods are large like 20-40%. So it really is a mix of the two.

Northeast Bronx is predominantly black, mostly from the carribean.

Fordham-Bedford is the same as the south Bronx.

Bedford Park, Norwood, and Kingsbridge Heights is majority hispanic.

Riverdale, Woodlawn, Spuyten Duvil, Kingsbridge are white.
Morrisania used to be a majorly Black area, but recently us, as well as nearby East Tremont, are experiencing Black flight as most Blacks are either moving to the Northeastern Bronx or elsewhere. In their place, many Dominicans from Upper Manhattan have moved to our area. I've been seeing many of the new houses with Dominican or Puerto Rican flags on their windows.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:12 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default I think

that south of Fordham Rd, west of the Bronx River, east of the Harlem river and north of the E River were always considered the "official" SB, or at least back in the 70's. Soundview and Castle Hill were not considered the SB even tho geographically they were south and had bad sections. But with all the new housing that concept may be eroding

Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Really cool picture slideshow of 1979 south bronx on the nytimes site:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/ny...agewanted=1&em

Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
I lived in the Bronx for thirteen years first at Popham Ave, then to Teller Avenue, then Croes Avenue and finally to 215th Street off Gunhill Road. I worked in the South Bronx at 141st Street at Bruckner Blvd. When I moved to 215th Street, I never thought it was considered the South Bronx, the Ghetto. Does this reflects in the new census, when have all this changed?

I wrote this because an acquaintance whom I have met several years ago have a church at E. 215 Street and refers to it as being the South Bronx, the Ghetto. I wondered if this is a fact or the person is just using this to solicit funds for the organization. Can anyone give me some current information on my new discovery.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:19 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
E 215 street isn't the S Bronx at all. The first 3 addresses you list could be considered the S Bronx but S Bronx proper back in the 70's was the area where Jimmy Carter visited around Charlotte St (W Farms, Morrisania, Hunts Point, E Tremont, Mott Haven, Melrose).

E 215 street in in Williamsbridge, the NE Bronx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City