Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,045,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Oh get the hell outta here.....so Soundview wasn't messed up back in the 80s???? U mean to tell me the the neighborhood went directly into the gutter in 1990 and survived crack, etc. FOH!

If it's not a term used to define geography how come we can't call Soundview and Castle Hill South Bronx too?

/thread
open thread /

Soundview can not in now way be the south Bronx because it was applied to the neighborhoods west of the Bronx River. Soundview was absolutely gutter trash in the 80's, but it falls under east Bronx.

You had three starting points, north of the East River, east of the Harlem River, and west of the Bronx River, the northern border was left open.

Hey, but if you want to call Soundview the South BX, go ahead, I've seen it referred to as much, probably more than UH.

Castle Hill did not suffer the same thing University Heights suffered. Show me a bombed out Castle Hill. Would not matter because it's on the other side of the BX River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Again, the point is that it has nothing to do with geography, except for the fact that it started in the south, and everything to do with socioeconomic. You had the slums, and you had the stable neighborhoods. You had south and you had north. BTW, East Tremont is in the middle of the borough, so I guess your friend doesn't believe in geography either.

Nowadays, my south Bronx is somewhere with alot of Puerto Ricans, projects, and African Americans. That is when I feel I'm in the south Bronx. Those areas to me would be below the CBE, and East of the Concourse. East Tremont and West Farms share many of the SBX characteristics, but I wouldn't say that about those neighborhoods. That is my opinion TODAY. I see it as geographic.

However, it is a fact that in the 80's, the south Bronx was everything under Fordham road. Yes, 188th and the Concourse was the south Bronx. Go a few blocks to 187th and Webster and you would have seen abandoned buildings. I showed you videos, and newspapers articles. There is nothing you can do to refute that. You are applying the current day definition of South Bronx to the 1980's Bronx. Read the example I wrote, and envision yourself in that era. Look at the pics. How can someone from Grand and West 181st street, say they are from anywhere but the South Bronx? It was bombed out!
See post above.

So what about Grand and West 181st? It was just another part of the Bronx that was messed up. You're just trying to bring light to it cause that's ur hood.

/thread

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
See post above.

So what about Grand and West 181st? It was just another part of the Bronx that was messed up. You're just trying to bring light to it cause that's ur hood.

/thread
Ok, so what about Vyse and E 182nd street?

E 183rd and Washington avenue?

E 182nd and Valentine avenue?

Are they also my hood?

You answered my question. Grand and W 181st was another part of the Bronx that was messed up, along with all the neighborhoods to the south. The South Bronx was a term used for the Bronx that was messed up. The Bronx that suffered arson, abandonment, crime etc

There was no west Bronx. There was north, south, and east Bronx. What don't you understand?

Open Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,248,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Ok, so what about Vyse and E 182nd street?

E 183rd and Washington avenue?

E 182nd and Valentine avenue?

Are they also my hood?

You answered my question. Grand and W 181st was another part of the Bronx that was messed up, along with all the neighborhoods to the south. The South Bronx was a term used for the Bronx that was messed up. The Bronx that suffered arson, abandonment, crime etc

There was no west Bronx. There was north, south, and east Bronx. What don't you understand?

Open Thread
But there was west of Concourse which many east of Concourse Bronxites considered as a step up on the quality of life ladder.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
But there was west of Concourse which many east of Concourse Bronxites considered as a step up on the quality of life ladder.
Maybe in the late 60's, early 70's. Once the West Bronx went down hill, it was probably more so a wasteland than many neighborhoods between Jerome and Webster. It arguably was also a more violent area, it's peak murder rate beats East Tremont/West Farms.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
I was just busting chops. Maybe lower Castle Hill and a good chunk of Soundview are pretty bad but overall CH really does not seem bad to me at all?
Soundview is hood as anything else, the only benefit of soundview is the tiny minority of civil servent workers who live at the southern tip of Soundview who are middle class. Castle Hill is a rut, but its still better then some neighrborhoods. I know some people who experienced bad things in Castle Hill. Take a walk down to Pugsly, prostitutes walk the stroll there especially in the motels.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,039,952 times
Quote:
I asked somebody who grew up in the area in the late 70s - early 80s and they said everything from East Tremont going south. So thats even different from my Cross Bronx assessment.

The obvious point that you're missing is that the actual name "South Bronx" comes from where??? You can call 188th and the Concourse - which is directly below Fordham Road the "South Bronx," but it's not geographically the south Bronx. Call it whatever you want, the term is not geographically correct.
South Bronx is more of a socio economic term but people like Supermario and others view it has geographic term. IF thats the case Aurther avenue is part of the South Bronx.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:13 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Soundview is hood as anything else, the only benefit of soundview is the tiny minority of civil servent workers who live at the southern tip of Soundview who are middle class. Castle Hill is a rut, but its still better then some neighrborhoods. I know some people who experienced bad things in Castle Hill. Take a walk down to Pugsly, prostitutes walk the stroll there especially in the motels.
I see what you're saying but I've noticed a lot of neighborhoods in the Bronx get hyped up and trashed when in actuality their are neighborhoods in the other boros that deserve it way more. I'm not saying Castle Hill is Park Slope but unless you re by the projects its not that bad. I have prostitues strolling the block parallel to mine and I've never been remotely scared of the area. Seedy YES dangerous ehhhh SOMEWHAT. I don't know ? thats just me?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:28 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
im from south brooklyn. stand up.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
South Bronx is more of a socio economic term but people like Supermario and others view it has geographic term. IF thats the case Aurther avenue is part of the South Bronx.
castle look like its filled with nice row houses and 2 big housing projects in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City