U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 18,369,374 times

Advertisements

Where are the boundaries of the South Bronx located?

Where does it begin and where does it end?

Also do you think the name is appropiate today. The area seems to have been cleaned up and the urban decay has spread to other parts of The Bronx.

Opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 04:16 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,272,463 times
Cleaned up? There is still more then PLENTY urban decay in the South Bronx.

The neighborhoods normally associated with the term "South Bronx" are located south of Fordham Road. However today that high poverty zone has expanded as far north as Bedford Park Blvd. The neighborhoods north of Bedford Park Blvd between the Major Deegan Expressway and the Bronx River are also slowly declining as poverty leaves it's mark. Soundview, Castle Hill and even the Parkchester area (not the complex) are sometimes included.

Another poverty pocket has been expanding in the North Bronx. Originally starting at the Mount Vernon Boarder near White Plains Road it ever extends south. Sketchest areas are around White Plains Road and around low income public housing. The term "ghetto" can describe areas as far down as Allerton Avenue these days near White Plains Road. The more eastern areas have yet decline so rapidly but are at risk.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:45 PM

But is that really a good definition?

I mean if you mean south....I would think the absolute southern Bronx. Probably from 170st lower. I mean when looking at it in a map the Tremont, Morris Heights and University Heights sections are located in the middle or northern parts. It isn't really south per se.

I consider Highbridge, Melrose, Morrisiana and Mott Haven to be "South".

Morris Heights and Tremont to be "Middle".

University Heights and Fordham to be "North".

What do you think?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:00 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,165,690 times
From what I've read, the actual term was coined because of the sections of the Bronx that were turning into heavy drug infestations in the mid 20th century. So to distinguish the good section of the Bronx from the bad section, the bad section was named the "South Bronx". There's no "real" geographic border to the South Bronx, allegedly.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 29,874,924 times
I think the official prevailing borders of the S bronx were south of Fordham Rd, east of the harlem river, west of the bronx River and north of the E river.

So areas like Soundview which appear like the s bronx in spots(Watson Ave, Westchester Ave, Elder Ave) technically were not 'officially" part of it

The term "south bronx' may have started when Jimmy Carter visited Charlotte Street. it may have been around before, but in any case it is marked by the boundaries I mentioned above

Old 09-08-2007, 07:57 PM

So the South Bronx really represents the "Ghetto" part of The Bronx?

If so...is Soundview considered part of it these days?

But im learning alot from you guys. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 PM

216 posts, read 920,357 times
actually the term south bronx ORIGINALLY was designated only for Mott Haven. this was when the bronx was all white and mott haven was the only real black ghetto.

it obviously expanded after that. the "true" borders for a long time were fordham in the north and west of the bx river pkwy (except Belmont). areas like soundview, kingsbridge, bedford pk were incorporated cuz they became just as nasty as south bronx "proper".

and seriously people gotta stop saying things like the south bronx has gotten cleaned up. those neighborhoods are bombed out messes. they might be a little better then crack-era 80s/early 90's, but that isnt saying much. u still see the same shyt...junkies, drugs, rowdy ppl hanging out on every corner, homeless, gangs, VERY noisy, abandoned buildings/lots, grafitti, trash, side streets that look like crack alleys, etc etc etc. i can go on all nite.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Yeah I agree with Concept. Today I took a trip to University Heights and the area of W 183rd ST and all you see are drug dealers in every corner and people in front of buildings. Also very loud music and graffiti all over the place. Dont even get me started on E 184th Valentine/Morris/Walton area......and absolute dump. I dont see the change in the South Bronx....atleast in those areas.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:08 PM

216 posts, read 920,357 times
and you were at the northern part of the south bronx. just the "tip". go further south, it gets worse and worse.

and u drove through during the DAY, see how it is at NIGHT !

Old 09-08-2007, 10:30 PM

9,856 posts, read 23,011,569 times
So Uni. Heights and Fordham are part of the South Bronx?

I don't think that's right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or