U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM

9,671 posts, read 16,860,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I started adding in the names of the different neighborhoods (obviously, they're not the exact boundaries, but it'll give you an idea of what area is being coded red/orange/yellow). I'm done with SI. SeventhFloor, can you start doing the other boroughs?
Done. I did all of them except Staten Island.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,162,343 times
Alright. I'll send you the link for SI (I did all the neighborhoods, but you can put them into the correct format)

Putting out out there for anyone:
* Does all of SE Queens really warrant the yellow coloring? I was thinking of just putting everything leaving everything east of Springfield Blvd blank.

* I've heard the Paedergat section of Canarsie was nice, and should be clear.

* A lot of western Astoria is kind of run-down and industrial-feeling. Should it be yellow?

Thoughts?

Old 03-31-2012, 10:51 PM

2,725 posts, read 3,211,117 times
Quote:
Alright. I'll send you the link for SI (I did all the neighborhoods, but you can put them into the correct format)

Putting out out there for anyone:
* Does all of SE Queens really warrant the yellow coloring? I was thinking of just putting everything leaving everything east of Springfield Blvd blank.

* I've heard the Paedergat section of Canarsie was nice, and should be clear.

* A lot of western Astoria is kind of run-down and industrial-feeling. Should it be yellow?

Thoughts?
Yeah I was confused why Cambria Heights & Rosedale were yellow, although I never traveled those areas on foot I know the crimes rates there are pretty low. What about East Elmhurst? I noticed it's blank, but it should be at least yellow or orange.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yeah I was confused why Cambria Heights & Rosedale were yellow, although I never traveled those areas on foot I know the crimes rates there are pretty low. What about East Elmhurst? I noticed it's blank, but it should be at least yellow or orange.
Alright. I'll change those areas to blank. As for East Elmhurst, I assume you have some sort of experience in the area to back it up, so I'll change it.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,793,299 times
You should make some maps for the suburbs.

One for the Jersey suburbs, one for Long Island and one for Westchester/SW Connecticut.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 AM

I'll think about it. The thing is that I don't really have a lot of experience in the suburbs, but seeing how a lot of people react on the LI forum (I mean, you're a reasonable person, but we both know there are a ton of people who will name any minority neighborhood as a ghetto), if I end up listening to them, the whole map will get messed up.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:53 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,793,299 times
Quote:
I'll think about it. The thing is that I don't really have a lot of experience in the suburbs, but seeing how a lot of people react on the LI forum (I mean, you're a reasonable person, but we both know there are a ton of people who will name any minority neighborhood as a ghetto), if I end up listening to them, the whole map will get messed up.
Oh yeah, didn't factor that in. Let's scrap that idea, lol!

But it would be nice to see which blocks of the urban areas of New Jersey are safe and which aren't. Since they basically are a continuation of NYC (population density speaking).

Old 04-01-2012, 12:54 PM

9,671 posts, read 16,860,330 times
Queens Safety Map updated to show 243rd Street Corridor, Merrick Boulevard Corridor and Linden Boulevard Corridor as yellow.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Oh yeah, didn't factor that in. Let's scrap that idea, lol!

But it would be nice to see which blocks of the urban areas of New Jersey are safe and which aren't. Since they basically are a continuation of NYC (population density speaking).
True. I mean, the thing is that it could take a while because if you think about it, Newark alone is enough for its own map, and then you have Jersey City, Paterson, Passaic, etc.

I guess I'll float the idea on the NJ forum and see if it catches on. We'd probably break it down by county (Hudson, Essex, Passaic, etc)

Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,159,334 times
Quote:
True. I mean, the thing is that it could take a while because if you think about it, Newark alone is enough for its own map, and then you have Jersey City, Paterson, Passaic, etc.

I guess I'll float the idea on the NJ forum and see if it catches on. We'd probably break it down by county (Hudson, Essex, Passaic, etc)
If you decide to do Newark and need help, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City