Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 AM

3,798 posts, read 4,645,120 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you'll keep getting a lot of feedback on which areas are safe/unsafe. But I think this is a good tool for tourist who like to explore the city. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,278,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its NYCHA. Review the interpretation of yellow on the map and then it will make sense.
I know that, but it's really not bad. The whole area around it's been gentrified to death, which abates many of the problems. People go around with their iPhones and haul their drunken selves across that part of Chelsea without a care in the world nowadays.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 AM

573 posts, read 1,458,299 times
wow the whole bronx is actually red

Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,943,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I spent a few hours this weekend working on some safety maps for the 5 boroughs.

Queens: Queens Safety Map - Google Maps

Manhattan: Manhattan Safety Map - Google Maps

Brooklyn: Brooklyn Safety Map - Google Maps

Bronx: Bronx Safety Map - Google Maps

Staten Island: Staten Island Safety Map - Google Maps

Red means that the area should be avoided, and if you must go in there, you should use caution.

Orange means that a suburbanite would probably be scared of the area, but somebody with a reasonable amount of street-smarts should be fine (no offense to anybody, but a decent number of people on the LI forums would fall into that category). You may see people hanging out, but that would be more of a nusiance than a threat (now, if you're regularly seeing gang members hanging out on the street, then it would be a red zone). You may want to use a little extra caution at night, but you should still be fine (i.e. Maybe you'll want to take a cab home rather than the subway)

Yellow means that the area should be fine to anybody, but you may still see occasional incidents. You just need basic street smarts (don't go out drunk waving the money and expensive gadgets) and you should be fine.

This isn't absolute, and it's open to debate. SeventhFloor proofread it for me, and we had some disagreements over whether some areas should be shaded in or not, and to what degree, so I figured I'd mention it, and if enough people agreed on it, I'd shade it in (or take out shading).

Obviously, these things are subjective and one should always check out an area before moving in. Also, this is how safe some areas are now, so any "up-and-coming" areas that are still relatively dangerous are shaded in red. Also keep in mind that a red zone can is everything over a certain threshold of crime, ranging from some parts of the North Shore of SI to Brownsville and East NY so keep that in mind.

Seriously dude, if I was you I would have made sn iphone app about this subject on areas to avoid for transient white urbanites et al. Since the majority of yuppies, Hipsters and transplants have iphones this would have been s useful tool to show them what areas to avoid while wearing flip flops and king George the v style beards. You could have at least charged five bucks on the app store and these transplants will pay for it. This can mean the difference from getting jumped by a bunch of Italians wielding a Louisville slugger to a black guy holding an illegal gun from your native state of Georgia trying to rob you for every nook and cranny. Reps for you checkmate. At least you should have included green zones for safe areas.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 03-05-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,597,469 times
When did Bed-Stuy become safe?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,983,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
wow the whole bronx is actually red

No,actually it is not. It's about 50%

Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,888,354 times
While I know there are projects on the western section of Astoria, I've been around there many times and I wouldn't make it orange but rather yellow, IMO.

great concept by the way.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

142 posts, read 258,543 times
Nice work. It reminds me of those crime maps on simcity. Now if this could be combined with an average housing price map, a commute time to manhattan map, and a proximity to stores and entertainment map, half the questions on the forum would be eliminated.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,642,786 times
Fifth avenue from 96th to 106th street should be clear, so as the 2 blocks south of Mount Sinai Hospital.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:44 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,594,154 times
Brighton Beach is shady? Since when? I could only see someone having an issue with it if they are not a fan of Russians.

I agree that the projects by Astoria should be yellow instead of orange. I've rode my bike around those areas even at night and never felt scared. There are far more scarier areas with projects.

That whole stretch of Pennsylvania Ave. in Brooklyn including Starrett City should at bare minimum be orange instead of blank. I spent the first 23 years of my life there and it is NOT safe right now.

Elmhurst isn't bad, but I suppose to an outsider from suburbia, it would seem seedy.

Last edited by Miss J 74; 03-05-2012 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City