U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,818,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Change 57th Avenue strip to orange. The rest of LeFrak can be left as yellow. 57th Avenue is the "hood" part of LeFrak if thats what you want to call it
What should I do for the rest of Corona? I was thinking of changing it to yellow from the LIE up to the LIRR tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanaManhasset View Post
I'll remove these shadings:
-Flushing [Perhaps just narrowly extend a line from the Projects by the LIRR tracks toward Northern Blvd. btwn Prince and College Point. then across Northern but instead of the Eastern Border being Prince, now it becomes Union Street.] The Downtown area is not too bad still.
Where's the northern border for the yellow shading? For now, I'll just label the Bland Houses yellow.

As for Williamsburg, what do you mean? You mean that the whole part from Roebling to Vandervoort should be orange?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-26-2012, 09:16 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,779,163 times
I was looking at the Queens map again specifically the area of Ridgewood/Glendale and two things I think that should be changed... There is no yellow at all in Glendale but the area right on the borderline of Ridgewood and Bushwick until the Jackie Robinson should be changed to yellow. That area looks desolate and ugly but aside from that there is gang activity that happens around 68 park and along Cooper ave and Cypress avenues, the thugs from Bushwick literally about a block away from the area come to mug people in the area... It happened to a friend of mine not too long ago and there was a stabbing on 59th two days ago...

What I would do is extend the line on Decatur all the way to Myrtle and then from Myrtle to Cypress Hills St. Then from Cypress Hills St. to the Jackie Robinson and then from Jackie Robinson all the way back to Decatur... If possible, that little section past decatur, that includes cody ave and cooper ave from Cypress to Irving, I would make that part of Ridgewood/Glendale bordering Bushwick orange... Not a good strip... The rest of the section I mentioned before should be shaded yellow... Not every block within that section do you need to take precaution, but as a whole, that's really the only area of Glendale i'd say you need to take some form of precaution with.

One more thing, in terms of Fresh Pond Rd. I would extend the yellow that ends on putnam avenue two more blocks down to Woodbine... The Madison buildings are not covered, and those two blocks including Putnam have fights break out at night time... Sometimes from the drunks coming out of the bars around 11pm and past, or sometimes from some of the people that live in the Madison buildings...

Unread 04-26-2012, 08:40 PM

302 posts, read 433,343 times
Thanks to checkmatechamp13 and SeventhFloor for these informative maps, they've been very helpful.

A question about two orange-shaded neighborhoods in the Bronx, Belmont (AKA "Little Italy") and Wakefield, Williamsbridge, Eastchester: have they really gotten that bad? I lived in both of those areas years ago and have visited recently and would say that much of Belmont would be yellow and that parts of Eastchester (certainly south of Gun Hill Road) should be yellow and not orange.

Last edited by gk90; 04-26-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Unread 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,859,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I was looking at the Queens map again specifically the area of Ridgewood/Glendale and two things I think that should be changed... There is no yellow at all in Glendale but the area right on the borderline of Ridgewood and Bushwick until the Jackie Robinson should be changed to yellow. That area looks desolate and ugly but aside from that there is gang activity that happens around 68 park and along Cooper ave and Cypress avenues, the thugs from Bushwick literally about a block away from the area come to mug people in the area... It happened to a friend of mine not too long ago and there was a stabbing on 59th two days ago...

What I would do is extend the line on Decatur all the way to Myrtle and then from Myrtle to Cypress Hills St. Then from Cypress Hills St. to the Jackie Robinson and then from Jackie Robinson all the way back to Decatur... If possible, that little section past decatur, that includes cody ave and cooper ave from Cypress to Irving, I would make that part of Ridgewood/Glendale bordering Bushwick orange... Not a good strip... The rest of the section I mentioned before should be shaded yellow... Not every block within that section do you need to take precaution, but as a whole, that's really the only area of Glendale i'd say you need to take some form of precaution with.

One more thing, in terms of Fresh Pond Rd. I would extend the yellow that ends on putnam avenue two more blocks down to Woodbine... The Madison buildings are not covered, and those two blocks including Putnam have fights break out at night time... Sometimes from the drunks coming out of the bars around 11pm and past, or sometimes from some of the people that live in the Madison buildings...
Yeah the area around the Cypress Avenue/Cooper Avenue intersection should be orange, or at least yellow. I would say make it orange between Cypress and Wyckoff Avenue, then yellow up to 60 Lane, and the rest of Glendale should stay clear. I believe that area is called Liberty Park, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the area near Cypress Hills Street, whats wrong with it? I use to live on 64 lane between Cooper and 78 Avenue and it was a perfectly fine area.

Unread 04-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Yeah the area around the Cypress Avenue/Cooper Avenue intersection should be orange, or at least yellow. I would say make it orange between Cypress and Wyckoff Avenue, then yellow up to 60 Lane, and the rest of Glendale should stay clear. I believe that area is called Liberty Park, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the area near Cypress Hills Street, whats wrong with it? I use to live on 64 lane between Cooper and 78 Avenue and it was a perfectly fine area.
Like I said not every block within that area... But most of that section is shady so to avoid any problems I figured we highlight the whole section... And yes that's correct that the section is called liberty park

Unread 04-27-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk90 View Post
Thanks to checkmatechamp13 and SeventhFloor for these informative maps, they've been very helpful.

A question about two orange-shaded neighborhoods in the Bronx, Belmont (AKA "Little Italy") and Wakefield, Williamsbridge, Eastchester: have they really gotten that bad? I lived in both of those areas years ago and have visited recently and would say that much of Belmont would be yellow and that parts of Eastchester (certainly south of Gun Hill Road) should be yellow and not orange.
Belmont I just assumed would get some spillover crime since it borders East Tremont and West Farms and everything. Nobody said anything to the contrary so I just left it as is. As for Williamsbridge, Wakefield, and Eastchester, you'll have to ask somebody else. Again, I put it down and nobody else said anything (in fact, I think SuperMario said to make some part of White Plains Road red, which I thought I already did, but apparently I didn't. I'll get to it, though).

Bluedog2 lives in Pelham Parkway, and he gave me advice on the NE Bronx, so I just took his word for it. I can change south of Gun Hill Road to yellow when I get the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

Done.

I'll wait for your guys to reach a concensus about that part of Glendale.

Unread 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Belmont I just assumed would get some spillover crime since it borders East Tremont and West Farms and everything. Nobody said anything to the contrary so I just left it as is. As for Williamsbridge, Wakefield, and Eastchester, you'll have to ask somebody else. Again, I put it down and nobody else said anything (in fact, I think SuperMario said to make some part of White Plains Road red, which I thought I already did, but apparently I didn't. I'll get to it, though).

Bluedog2 lives in Pelham Parkway, and he gave me advice on the NE Bronx, so I just took his word for it. I can change south of Gun Hill Road to yellow when I get the chance.

Done.

I'll wait for your guys to reach a concensus about that part of Glendale.
@ checkmate if you read both our posts and you look at the section we're talking about when you zoom in, you'll realize that we are already in agreement about the area... He's talking about one specific block within that 10-15 block radius and I simply mentioned that to highlight one or two blocks as perfectly safe while the surrounding area is a little sketchy would be unnecessary... That's why I mentioned the entire section I mentioned... We both agreed it's somewhere betwee a yellow or orange area...

Btw, did you see my post about the Ridgewood section of Fresh Pond Rd? Also one thing I forgot to tell you while rereading the safety map thread was that I had ignored one of your posts previously and got to it real late without realizing... Apologize for that, I don't always check city-data. I mainly check different cites in spurts when i'm free...

Unread 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ checkmate if you read both our posts and you look at the section we're talking about when you zoom in, you'll realize that we are already in agreement about the area... He's talking about one specific block within that 10-15 block radius and I simply mentioned that to highlight one or two blocks as perfectly safe while the surrounding area is a little sketchy would be unnecessary... That's why I mentioned the entire section I mentioned... We both agreed it's somewhere betwee a yellow or orange area...

Btw, did you see my post about the Ridgewood section of Fresh Pond Rd? Also one thing I forgot to tell you while rereading the safety map thread was that I had ignored one of your posts previously and got to it real late without realizing... Apologize for that, I don't always check city-data. I mainly check different cites in spurts when i'm free...
He said that he used to live by 64th Lane, and that area was perfectly fine, and it looked like he was referring to the general area by Cypress Hills Street, which is why he said to put the yellow only up to 60th Lane.

I mean, if you think about it, you could have a little bit of spillover from the other side of the tracks, but it only affects the areas immediately by the tracks. A few blocks over it could be fine. (I'm not saying that's necessarily the case. I'm just saying that the crime doesn't necessarily have to stop at the major streets. It could sort of fizzle out by some side street).

And yeah, I already added those couple of blocks along Fresh Pond Road. As for Glendale, I guess I'll add it and change it back if necessary.

Unread 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM

Is anybody here familiar with Canarsie? Because I was checking it out on Google Streetview, and some blocks looked extremely nice. Are there any sections that should lose their yellow shading?

Unread 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM

9,133 posts, read 15,691,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Is anybody here familiar with Canarsie? Because I was checking it out on Google Streetview, and some blocks looked extremely nice. Are there any sections that should lose their yellow shading?
Nope.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City