U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,219 times
Hi I'm looking at subletting an apartment for the summer in east harlem at 101 st and 1 ave. This is located in a gap between the orange and yellow. I was just wanted some more information about the area. I am a 21 year old female and I will be living there alone so I'm just worried about not feeling safe at night! any insight would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM

6,523 posts, read 11,048,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleigh505 View Post
Hi I'm looking at subletting an apartment for the summer in east harlem at 101 st and 1 ave. This is located in a gap between the orange and yellow. I was just wanted some more information about the area. I am a 21 year old female and I will be living there alone so I'm just worried about not feeling safe at night! any insight would be great.
I'm sure the "gap" is a glitch of some kind.It should definitely be either yellow or orange.Lots of projects around there,especially between there and the subway.Better check it out for yourself late at night, weekday and weekend to see how it feels.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 PM

3,318 posts, read 3,508,304 times
I've been thinking and I decided that I'm not going to automatically put housing projects in yellow by default. I've heard a couple of people mention that people go stumbling home past the Robert Fulton Houses and don't have problems, and there are probably a few others in Manhattan that are like that (and I know of a few in the outer boroughs. Bluedog2 mentioned the Pelham Parkway Houses and the SI ones south of the SIE are pretty quiet, but I'll have to think about if any of them are going to keep their yellow shading)

I intended yellow to be something somebody who's not used to the city would be afraid of based just on what they see (i.e. If they had no prior knowledge that it was a housing project, would they still be afraid?). And of course, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, take race out of the equation, since sadly some people haven't been exposed to any diversity and still think that an area is automatically bad if there's Blacks and Hispanics walking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I'm sure the "gap" is a glitch of some kind.It should definitely be either yellow or orange.Lots of projects around there,especially between there and the subway.Better check it out for yourself late at night, weekday and weekend to see how it feels.
I hope she didn't actually think that the little gap meant it was a perfectly safe area. I think I even made that disclaimer earlier in the thread to watch out for the little gaps.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 PM

27,011 posts, read 13,389,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I've been thinking and I decided that I'm not going to automatically put housing projects in yellow by default. I've heard a couple of people mention that people go stumbling home past the Robert Fulton Houses and don't have problems, and there are probably a few others in Manhattan that are like that (and I know of a few in the outer boroughs. Bluedog2 mentioned the Pelham Parkway Houses and the SI ones south of the SIE are pretty quiet, but I'll have to think about if any of them are going to keep their yellow shading)

I intended yellow to be something somebody who's not used to the city would be afraid of based just on what they see (i.e. If they had no prior knowledge that it was a housing project, would they still be afraid?). And of course, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, take race out of the equation, since sadly some people haven't been exposed to any diversity and still think that an area is automatically bad if there's Blacks and Hispanics walking around.
I thought "yellow" also meant generally ok but deserves some caution. I'd think every NYC housing project should have a "caution" label. It's not like you're labeling them "no go" areas. From what I've seen of NYC, housing projects are in enough random places that walking past housing projects can be fine. Walking through housing projects is completely different. I've walked through a housing project at night once. No problems whatsoever but I was a bit uncomfortable, partly just from the layout. (You labelled that project yellow, btw which makes sense).

Old 05-05-2012, 12:00 PM

True...

As far as the layout goes, by that logic, we should put places like Stuyvesant Town and Penn South as yellow zones, but I see what you mean (you have tall buildings and trees next to narrow paths, so it's easier for somebody to hide around a corner).

I guess we'll leave them as is, unless somebody can come up with a good counterargument.

By the way, I changed the Bronx River Houses from orange to red (I originally had them as part of Park Versailles, which is orange), and I remember SeventhFloor mentioning that Pleasant Avenue in East Harlem is alright, so I'll label that orange instead of red (or should it be yellow?)

Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Also, should I label industrial areas (like say, Willets Point and "The Hole" in East NY) with grey?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 PM

10,142 posts, read 18,017,918 times
Quote:
True...

As far as the layout goes, by that logic, we should put places like Stuyvesant Town and Penn South as yellow zones, but I see what you mean (you have tall buildings and trees next to narrow paths, so it's easier for somebody to hide around a corner).

I guess we'll leave them as is, unless somebody can come up with a good counterargument.

By the way, I changed the Bronx River Houses from orange to red (I originally had them as part of Park Versailles, which is orange), and I remember SeventhFloor mentioning that Pleasant Avenue in East Harlem is alright, so I'll label that orange instead of red (or should it be yellow?)
Pleasant Avenue corridor can be yellow. Bronx River Houses can be red.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Also, should I label industrial areas (like say, Willets Point and "The Hole" in East NY) with grey?
Forget about the industrial areas. FYI the Hole is not industrial.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:49 AM

Brooklyn Safety Map updated to show north of Knickerbocker Avenue area as orange, south of Knickerbocker in red.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM

1,683 posts, read 1,332,897 times
I critized the map before for being too general (much improved) and a disservice to the areas noted for crime.

However since it will exist anyway, I would have to disagree with labeling almost the entire 47th precinct/NW Bronx orange (Should be more yellow away from the major arteries and PJs), and would like Castle Hill/Union Port/Westchester Square and Pelham Parkway/Allerton (2 train corridor) to turn yellow. That would more accurately reflect the diiference in comparison to neighborhoods like Pelham Gardens, Country Club, Riverdale, ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City