Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 12:02 PM

33,862 posts, read 47,057,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
surprised that only one area got put in purple in the bronx, what makes millbrook projects worse than patterson or edenwald??
Patterson maybe deserves a purple I'll let Bronx residents weigh in on that. But I've been to Edenwald and the surrounding area doesnt warrant it a purple. Although the projects themselves are bad, it's surrounded by 1 and 2 family houses. Maybe in the 1990s it would have gotten a purple. To me all NYCHA are the same anyway.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:25 PM

594 posts, read 2,083,456 times
Given the fact that there's ample street crime aimed at the wealthy people who live in North Williamsburg (as explained very clearly here by anon1), perhaps it should be debated making that area yellow too?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,107,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Given the fact that there's ample street crime aimed at the wealthy people who live in North Williamsburg (as explained very clearly here by anon1), perhaps it should be debated making that area yellow too?
We'll consider it. Maybe we should make a note of it if we do end up putting it in yellow, since it's something you wouldn't expect (then again, a robbery is a robbery)

Old 06-09-2012, 05:18 PM

594 posts, read 2,083,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
We'll consider it. Maybe we should make a note of it if we do end up putting it in yellow, since it's something you wouldn't expect (then again, a robbery is a robbery)
Yeah, Champ, I'm not there a whole lot, so I just wanted to raise it as a possibility.

Seems an interesting phenomenon that many of the wealthiest, most desirable neighborhoods draw street crime inconceivable in less well renowned areas.

For example, the recent serial rapist/mugger in Forest Hills seems almost inconceivable in Middle Village, Glendale, or Fresh Meadows (I am NOT suggesting Forest Hills be made yellow, just a point of reference).

Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,891,401 times
I think N. Williamsburg should be yellow, and Greenpoint should be blank.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,227,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
surprised that only one area got put in purple in the bronx, what makes millbrook projects worse than patterson or edenwald??
137th street were Millbrook Houses are located had atleast 3 murders last year. And like mentioned this is no area surrounded by 1-2 family houses like Edenwald. Projects and tenements is the name of the game.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,107,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I think N. Williamsburg should be yellow, and Greenpoint should be blank.
Alright. I'll put Kent-North 12th-Union-the BQE as yellow and make a note.

And a few people in this thread have suggested to put Belmont in yellow instead of orange, and the other thread about Belmont convinced me, so yellow it is. If somebody can give more specifics (orange sections within the area or whatever), feel free to do so.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM

114 posts, read 204,452 times
Just seeing this thread for the first time and I'm sure there are many points of contention, but I wanted to say in general to @Checkmatechamp13, @SeventhFloor and anyone else who helped: What an awesome idea and wonderful use of Google Maps. Thanks for your efforts!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM

142 posts, read 315,439 times
eastchester/wakefield is way better deserves a better color

Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 AM

5 posts, read 10,267 times
Fabulous idea! However, all that red in northern Harlem seems very conservative. I'm a suburban-raised young woman, and I lived by Jackie Robinson Park when I first moved to the city, and it never felt "red" to me. I'd say between 145 and 155, from Frederick Douglas Blvd west should be orange, if not yellow. East of that could be a little uncomfortable, but Hamilton Heights and Sugar Hill themselves have changed a lot in the past few years.

I would stick up more for Sunset Park, where I currently am, but I saw a guy break a bottle over someone's head on 5th ave last weekend, so . . .

Does anyone know about the triangle near Williamsburg between Metro, Flushing, and Morgan Aves? I got lost there at night, and I felt reeeeeally sketched out, but it might be fine during the day, since it's not shaded at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City