Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times

Advertisements

I think we should revise Southeast Queens. I heard Addesleigh Park is pretty nice, and I think we should have the yellow end at Farmers Blvd instead of Francis Lewis Blvd, except for possibly Hollis and Springfield Gardens.

I found some really nice homes in St. Albans east of Farmers Blvd.

And here's a shot of Addesleigh Park

I guess these are both St. Albans as well.

I'm not too sure about the area south of the hospital, but I really think that Addesleigh Park and the areas east of Farmers Blvd should be unshaded, from say, 111th Avenue to Merrick Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I think we should revise Southeast Queens. I heard Addesleigh Park is pretty nice, and I think we should have the yellow end at Farmers Blvd instead of Francis Lewis Blvd, except for possibly Hollis and Springfield Gardens.

I found some really nice homes in St. Albans east of Farmers Blvd.

And here's a shot of Addesleigh Park

I guess these are both St. Albans as well.

I'm not too sure about the area south of the hospital, but I really think that Addesleigh Park and the areas east of Farmers Blvd should be unshaded, from say, 111th Avenue to Merrick Blvd.
Areas in yellow can be considered somewhat seedy depending on who you ask, but the only reason to avoid them would be if you are COMPLETELY lacking in street smarts.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
lol, yes I do. Have you been to the area recently? It's become so unbelievably gentrified- particularly the Myrtle-Dekalb area east of the park. It's all a mix of college kids, young professionals and families. I swear, with the number of strollers invading its turning into the next park slope. I guess I see your point around Classon/Willoughby/Lafayette with the projects over there. The furthest east I would even consider a yellow border is Hall st.
The fact that it is now so "gentrified" makes it a better target for crime pouring out of the nearby projects. Walked around there recently and noted almost every one had burglar bars. Note frequent reports of muggings around the southern edge of Fort Greene park.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Areas in yellow can be considered somewhat seedy depending on who you ask, but the only reason to avoid them would be if you are COMPLETELY lacking in street smarts.
Like I said, I would prefer it read as something else, but I can't think of a better description. It was originally meant to determine which areas have above-average crime, and to what extent, so a yellow area would only have slightly above-average crime levels. I don't even think that's the case in the areas I described.

When I labeled the yellow areas, I was thinking of some of the people from the LI forum (and a guy on another forum I'm on), and how they would react, compared to how people who live in NYC and are used to urban areas would react. They would say "Oh, my God, this is the hood", whereas we would say "Eh, this is a little below average, and there's a few issues here and there, but nothing serious".

Of course, like I said, this is taking the racial composition of the area out of the equation (because we all know some of those people go bonkers at the sight of a couple of Black people). So with that in mind, I don't think that St. Albans area even fits the standard for yellow.

Like I said a while ago, we could always try ranking the areas on a scale of 1-10, so everybody gets a better idea of how the area is.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:34 PM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Alright. So I can delete Woodside and it's up to me what to do with the SI ones. How about the Wise Towers?
Definitely yellow. I used to have to frequent that area a while back.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 AM

28 posts, read 138,235 times
So, according to the map it's perfectly safe to walk down 3rd Avenue to E 10th Street? I'm coming from Europe so I want to be sure.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
So, according to the map it's perfectly safe to walk down 3rd Avenue to E 10th Street? I'm coming from Europe so I want to be sure.
Yeah, you'll be fine.

In any case, I'm going to start a map that assigns ratings to the areas in addition to the colors. That wy it kind of helps with areas on the border of 2 colors (for instance, I would think the yellow portion of South Jamaica isn't as good as the yellow portion of Springfield Gardens), and there are some areas I was thinking of shading yellow but decided not to.

I think this scale would work:
0: Purple area
1-2: Red area
3: Orange area
4-5: Yellow area
6-8: Light green area
9-10: Dark green area

I think it'll help those who are super-worried about safety in the area.

I'll try to see if I can fit the whole city into one map, but if not I'll end up doing it by borough (or maybe combining 2 boroughs, like Brooklyn & SI, and Queens & The Bronx)

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...b64c2022&msa=0

Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 PM

It looks like I'll have to make a seperate one for each borough. I counted about 37 areas just on the SI map (which is now completed).

I think I'll do Brooklyn next.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Alright. Give me street boundaries of the part you want me to take out (again, I'm assuming you have some experience with the area to back this up).
The historic district should not be yellow. There are parts nearby the historic district that also should not be yellow, but at the very least, remove the yellow from the areas on this map at the bottom of the page at this link Jackson Heights Queens Neighborhood and Map

Here are some photos taken in the Jackson Heights historic district:

House and apartment building, 86th St. between 34th and 35th Ave.
garden and apartment buildings, 34th Ave near 80th St.
Greenmarket at Travers Park, 34th Ave near 78th St.
Attached Thumbnails
NYC Safety Maps-jh-4.jpg   NYC Safety Maps-jh-1.jpg   NYC Safety Maps-jh-3.jpg  

Last edited by Henna; 07-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: changed list order of photos

Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The historic district should not be yellow. There are parts nearby the historic district that also should not be yellow, but at the very least, remove the yellow from the areas on this map at the bottom of the page at this link Jackson Heights Queens Neighborhood and Map

Here are some photos taken in the Jackson Heights historic district:

House and apartment building, 86th St. between 34th and 35th Ave.
garden and apartment buildings, 34th Ave near 80th St.
Greenmarket at Travers Park, 34th Ave near 78th St.
Didn't you already tell me the boundaries of what shouldn't be yellow? I already took those out. That's why that yellow area is oddly-shaped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City