Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:56 PM

33,412 posts, read 46,851,577 times

Advertisements

Manhattan Safety Maps updated to include:

General Grant Houses: yellow
Manhattanville Houses: orange
Taft Houses: red
Lower East Side: Orange now starts at Avenue C

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,213,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Manhattan Safety Maps updated to include:

General Grant Houses: yellow
Manhattanville Houses: orange
Taft Houses: red
Lower East Side: Orange now starts at Avenue C
Taft are between Fifth and Park Avenues.

That's King Towers that are now in red on the map.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Taft are between Fifth and Park Avenues.

That's King Towers that are now in red on the map.
Oops...I'll correct it

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,095,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
If housing projects are yellow by default, you missed a block on Upper East Side. That is 92nd to 93rd st and 1st to York ave.
I could've sworn I shaded it in in the original map.

Anyway, if anybody else wants to be a collaborator, DM me with your email address (I'm 99% sure it has to be Gmail), and I'll add you, so you can change some portions as you see fit (keep in mind that I can remove collaborators if I see you're just making changes willy-nilly, but I don't think that will be an issue).

BTW, SeventhFloor, could you use a fill opacity of 65 instead of 45? I want the shading to be a bit brighter.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,554,300 times
What about 8th Ave to Morningside Ave in Central Harlem? It's not color coded and I would say it's an orange as the rest of lower Central Harlem as there were shootings at the park last year.

I would argue that lower Franklin Ave area in Crown Heights should be orange instead of yellow cause there's always something going on in that street.

I do agree with making Ave C and D orange and the rest of Alphabet City yellow as Ave C does mark a difference in feel.

Another suggestion, how about extending the red part of Fort Greene to Carlton Ave since the PJs stop right there.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I could've sworn I shaded it in in the original map.

Anyway, if anybody else wants to be a collaborator, DM me with your email address (I'm 99% sure it has to be Gmail), and I'll add you, so you can change some portions as you see fit (keep in mind that I can remove collaborators if I see you're just making changes willy-nilly, but I don't think that will be an issue).

BTW, SeventhFloor, could you use a fill opacity of 65 instead of 45? I want the shading to be a bit brighter.
Thanks...I noticed my coloring was off but I didn't know how to match it to yours.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
What about 8th Ave to Morningside Ave in Central Harlem? It's not color coded and I would say it's an orange as the rest of lower Central Harlem as there were shootings at the park last year.

I would argue that lower Franklin Ave area in Crown Heights should be orange instead of yellow cause there's always something going on in that street.

I do agree with making Ave C and D orange and the rest of Alphabet City yellow as Ave C does mark a difference in feel.

Another suggestion, how about extending the red part of Fort Greene to Carlton Ave since the PJs stop right there.
I agree with Franklin Avenue, I'll make the change tomorrow.
And yes again to Fort Greene.
We'll look into the Harlem one.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,095,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Makes sense. I think that's worth changing.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM

1,857 posts, read 3,083,397 times
Thanks to checkmate and sevethfloor! This is great stuff for those of us outside of the area at the moment.

Small request: Can you offer one inclusive map with all boroughs shaded? It will help to see patterns across boroughs. The north end of Manhattan blending across into the Bronx seems to be one big problem area. Same with areas where Brooklyn and Queens merge. It's a bit easy to get confused when looking at the Queens map and seeing areas in what is actually the far eastern parts of Brooklyn clear..when I'm pretty sure some/all/most warrant some shading. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:38 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,321,531 times
Checkmate...this is an interesting map but clearly your Southern Bronx map is kinda outdated. I would say that is what it was in the 90s....but not today. I would like to provide my block by block insight to the Southern Bronx area (South of 163rd only)...and provide a more up to date, accurate, and more nuanced assessment based on the changes occuring. Do you really believe Melrose, which has almost completely been redeveloped as a new working/middle class enclave should simply be avoided and is dangerous? No way.

Provide me access and I will fix the obvious errors and provide insight into the real problem areas of the community, and those which are changing and should not be overlooked. You should be providing access to the trusted experts you know on this site who can give you the real nuanced and current block by block insight into safety and changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City