U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM

443 posts, read 365,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Honestly what are you worried about the college students doing? You are going on a vacation not living there permanently. Honestly, I live on Charles and 7th and it's pretty much just young professionals most of the time.
We currently live in a neighborhood in Seattle called the U District (right near the University of Washington), which is dominated by college kids, and most of the bars around here are frat/sorority-type dominated. It just gets old after a while - itd be cool to have something different while on vacation. I remember Bleecker sort of being like that 9 or 10 years ago, and I just wanted to get the pulse of what the rest of the West Village is like these days. I also want to get a sense if there's any of the interesting, more avant-garde (not to sound overly pretentious) stuff you can find in the East Village in the West Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM

11,364 posts, read 11,286,331 times
Sheridan Square (Seventh Ave, 4th St, CHriostopher St.) is the Center of what used to be the Gay Mecca of manhattan. To some extent it retains that identity.
Lots of bars, mostly gay but the restaurants are slim pickens.
You might stroll up Greenwich AVENUE (not Street) that runs from Eight St. and Sixth Avenue Northwestward...you'll likely find a couple restaurants that suit your fancy.

(We like Gene's on Eleventh just a few doors East of Sixth Ave (of the Americas.)

That part of town is definitely NOT frat boy, becoming somewhat young-gay-ethnic, especially as you walk West down Christopher towards the river.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Sheridan Square (Seventh Ave, 4th St, CHriostopher St.) is the Center of what used to be the Gay Mecca of manhattan. To some extent it retains that identity.
Lots of bars, mostly gay but the restaurants are slim pickens.
You might stroll up Greenwich AVENUE (not Street) that runs from Eight St. and Sixth Avenue Northwestward...you'll likely find a couple restaurants that suit your fancy.

(We like Gene's on Eleventh just a few doors East of Sixth Ave (of the Americas.)

That part of town is definitely NOT frat boy, becoming somewhat young-gay-ethnic, especially as you walk West down Christopher towards the river.
Thanks - how's Bleecker street west of 6th Ave?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:41 PM

1,108 posts, read 934,463 times
The Bleecker/Macdougal area is not my favorite part of that area either - but I would not say the whole of Greenwich/West Village feels that way at all. Yes, there is a college student presence, but it's not dominant by any stretch.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 PM

755 posts, read 1,332,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
Thanks - how's Bleecker street west of 6th Ave?
Bleecker west of Sixth is mostly a lot of high-end boutiques, charming tree-lined streets, etc.

Why don't you get here and just walk around? Or use Google Street View?

I live off of Bleecker and 7th and am never bothered (or even notice, really) frat guys or sorority girls. I would imagine a tourist here would notice things even less. Just seems like a strange thing to preoccupy yourself with.

Also, keep in mind that the West Village was bohemian and avant-garde long before the E. Village was.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,008,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Bleecker west of Sixth is mostly a lot of high-end boutiques, charming tree-lined streets, etc.

Why don't you get here and just walk around? Or use Google Street View?

I live off of Bleecker and 7th and am never bothered (or even notice, really) frat guys or sorority girls. I would imagine a tourist here would notice things even less. Just seems like a strange thing to preoccupy yourself with.

Also, keep in mind that the West Village was bohemian and avant-garde long before the E. Village was.
Exactly. And there is no force field confining you to only areas directly adjacent to your hotel. There is a whole big city to see.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:06 PM

4,002 posts, read 5,241,455 times
Manhattan as so many cool areas that locals usually choose a destination restaurant or bar rather than a street, block or even neighborhood. The reason why we have so many magazines and newspapers for reviews and listings (NYMagazine, The New Yorker, The New York Times, Time Out New York, The Village Voice, etc.) is because there are so many options that we need a small army of reporters to review and write about them all.

After living in Minneapolis for a couple of years, I knew, more-or-less, every restaurant, bar or theater worth going to. That's impossible in New York. If you want to be strategic about it, I suggest going on the above mentioned websites, seeing what's hot, and then mapping an itinerary for each neighborhood.

Wandering around aimlessly is great for appreciating architecture and street life (I do it all the time). But if you really want to find some great places, you have to do your homework.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks - this is great information!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:16 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,931,151 times
Head to the far west village for more adult venues. Have drinks at the Standard Hotel on Washington St. Eat in one of the cool restaurants. Take a stroll along the Hudson River.

As for the NYU area, you will find tons and tons of grown ups. Saturday night might be over run with college kids, but it's not a frat like environment. The NYU kids are too cool for skool types. However, there are packs of kids who come in from the burbs on Sat night. Again, think about the West Village. People seem to like a restaurant called the Spotted Pig. Look it up. Go into one of the many little cafes and have some coffee. Wander around the streets like Perry St and Charles St. Very charming.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM

11,364 posts, read 11,286,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
thanks - saw this after I just posted. So it sounds like the Bleecker/Macdougal area is the only part of the neighborhood that is truly college-student dominated - does that seem correct?
Of course the Southern flank of Washington Square is ALL NYU...and that extends out in both directions along W. 4th and W. 3rd. ANd then up University Place on the Eastern side.

But the kids are adorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City