Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM

51 posts, read 104,357 times

Advertisements

I checked out this place last Friday night. The drinks were very good and the place had a laid back feel to it. I plan on going back with a lady friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Nice...thanks for opining. Was it very crowded?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:16 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The South Bronx, which I believe is district 16 is one of the poorest in the nation. And I believe you when you say it's changing, but apparently at a very low pace. There are no hip areas in the Bronx, let alone in the South Bronx. So something somewhat pretentious like a "Martini Bar" in the ghetto won't fly.

No to mention that the rate of sucess of restaurants/bars regardless of location in NYC is no more than 25%.

might get better biz if they opened a fast-food joint instead.
I'm not saying I'm for or against this place but your logic is off. Look at Bushwick look at Williamsburg. If those two dumps did it why would you think Mott Haven couldnt? Once again I'm not saying I'm for or against it but if your logic is simply because the neighborhood is scary and poor, it aint gonna fly.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Bushwick is still a dump^^^^

The rents may be higher in some areas with a couple wide-eyed marshmallows lurkin around, but it's still a dump.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Moderator cut: Discussing moderation

Likeminas...there is lots of poverty but also a growing middle class population, so if you ask who they are catering to, it's the same group who bought the $500K lofts at Bronx Bricks, the same people buying into the Via Verde development, the same people buying the $400K single family brownstones, and the same people who are paying $2,000 to rent at the Clocktower building, the same people who will be shopping at the new Fresca Gourmet Market, and the same people who are continuing to move to the community....middle class residents who are grossly underserved and require better amenities. By the way, having a martini bar is a far cry from spending $800 on a Louis Vuitton purse....so take a breath and relax. It's ok to serve ALL of the population, and not just the destitute, right?
I couldn't rep you anymore so I had to highlight this response. Dead-the ***-on! This comment is 100% true for ANY area that's going through a re-birth: Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, etc. The middle incomers (who, I'll point out, in almost any other part of the country would be considered top income earners) can't afford a million dollar condo but can afford a $500K condo. The 'middle incomers' who want certain types of features or amenities in a home but are priced out of similar homes in other so called desirable areas. So instead of paying 1.5 million for a semi-decent two bedroom co-op in the upper west side, they move two stops up and get a much, much, larger 2 bedroom (with a terrace) in brand new luxury condo in Harlem for 1/2 the price. Or, they are priced out of Harlem and move three stops up, to the South Bronx. Not everyone that is part of the "gentry" is scared of melanin and/or Spanish. You get enough of these people moving in, and then the amenities to service them will soon follow. I can tell you that those coffee shops Bed Stuy are packed to the brim with Mac Book typing, horned rim glasses wearing "new" residents and are never short on customers even though the neighborhood is still majority lower income.

And an LV purse is about $2000 LOL

Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM

576 posts, read 1,596,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Bushwick is still a dump^^^^

The rents may be higher in some areas with a couple wide-eyed marshmallows lurkin around, but it's still a dump.
Oh believe me I know. I guess I should have said a dump in transition as opposed to a dump that has already made it (williamsburg).

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM

51 posts, read 104,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Nice...thanks for opining. Was it very crowded?
Not crowded, I showed up close to midnight and there were about 10 - 15 people in there.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,427 times
The area needs these type of establishments to become a destination. Also more affluent people demand these sort of nightlife venues. Something local to do on the weekend. Port Morris/lower Mott Haven will be one of the first neighborhoods in the Bronx to fully transition.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,886,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Upscale anything in the South Bronx?
with almost half of the population there living in poverty, who are they catering to?

What's next a louis vuitton store in Brownsville?
i agree. grand opening. grand closing. disaster in the making.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Can I get a chocolate-cherry martini with a double scoop of Haagen Dasz?
(That should work well as an emetic for anyone who likes REAL martinis.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City